Pond Boss
Posted By: squeeky What type of sunfish might this be ? - 04/18/15 07:34 PM
I'm trying to minimize or eliminate the number of Green Sunfish in a small forage pond (1/4 acre) by trapping and separating the greenies from the bluegill varieties - native or otherwise. I have 3 traps and usually catch about 50 or so sunfish per trap in an hour. About 20% are greenies and maybe another 10% are hybridized. I've caught a number of the variety shown below and I'm not certain of the ID. can anyone enlighten me as the what it may be ? Also, I realize that native bluegill are prolific reproducers and can spawn multiple times over the warm months, whereas greenies may only spawn once. But, what about the the greenie - bluegill cross breed- do they also have multiple spawn cycles ?

Posted By: Bill D. Re: What type of sunfish might this be ? - 04/18/15 08:25 PM
I'll guess a stunted BG x GSF but maybe like a F2 or F3....but I am really bad at the game of name that fish! grin
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: What type of sunfish might this be ? - 04/18/15 08:50 PM
That's a LES, AKA longear sunfish. No hybridization... They're more common in slow moving rocky vegetated streams but can do well in certain ponds and lakes.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: What type of sunfish might this be ? - 04/18/15 08:55 PM
CJ,

I started to guess LES but the flap looked kinda short and no white trim. Is that big eye normal for LES? Is this just a juvenile so no white trim on the flap?
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: What type of sunfish might this be ? - 04/19/15 02:56 AM
Yes, it's a juvenile. Hence the shorter ear flap and no white edging. LES seem to have larger than normal eyes, but I think this fish is stunted as well.
© Pond Boss Forum