Pond Boss
Posted By: Yak n Bass Crawfish ID - 03/28/15 01:31 AM
What is it.

Thanks
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Crawfish ID - 03/28/15 02:05 AM
It's a mudbug- looks like the kind here that live underground in the yard but not sure
Posted By: TGW1 Re: Crawfish ID - 03/28/15 11:26 AM
I have done a lot of searching lately for names, types and species of craws and this one looks like a Bad Aarse crawfish. Built for battle, all armored up with some red blood on his claws. smile

Red swamp crawfish maybe

Tracy
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Crawfish ID - 03/28/15 03:06 PM
A top view of this crayfish to see the areolar width would help more for a specific name. From what I can see it looks like a 'Big Water Crayfish' (aka Cambarus robustus) common in OH or it could be the Little Brown Mudbug (Cambarus thomai) also common in OH which tends to make burrows more than the Big Water crayfish.

Big Water Crayfish: It prefers to burrow under large rocks, usually flat and about 10 to 15cm. thick. Generally the bigger the rock the bigger the crayfish.

Little Brown Mudbug -Cambarus (Tubericambarus) thomai. This is a recently described species associated with the Appalachian foothills. It is found in eastern Ohio, western West Virginia and northern Kentucky adjacent to the Ohio-W.Va. populations. It burrows extensively and quite deep if need be. Burrows are complex with a lower chamber. I have frequently watched this species sit in wait at its burrow entrance waiting for prey. When a bug or fly passes the entrance they lung out waving their chelae in an effort to capture the potential meal. It also appears that they will eat any plant roots that grow into the burrow. They do not drag vegetation into their burrow. In the spring, after warm rains, they come out of their burrows and can be found walking on land in streams and swamps. I like to got out at night with a flashlight and hunt for them.
Posted By: anthropic Re: Crawfish ID - 03/28/15 07:45 PM
Here in Louisiana we identify these as "dinner."
Posted By: Yak n Bass Re: Crawfish ID - 03/28/15 11:23 PM
Those are the only photos I have , pulled him out of the FA in the pond last summer. We do have of bunch of burrowers around the pond. Did not know if this was one of them or not.
Posted By: TGW1 Re: Crawfish ID - 03/29/15 12:14 PM
Frank is right, looks like he would be good eating. you just need around 100 of them for a dinner for two.

Tracy
Posted By: poppy65 Re: Crawfish ID - 03/30/15 01:13 AM
Originally Posted By: TGW1
Frank is right, looks like he would be good eating. you just need around 100 of them for a dinner for two.

Tracy

I've never eaten crawfish and don't know anyone who has but I know they eat a lot of them down south. I see a local store has crawfish tail meat for sale now. What does it taste like? I wondered how it would be in a shrimp scampi type sauce with linguinne.
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Crawfish ID - 03/30/15 01:18 AM
If you buy frozen tail meat make SURE THAT IT COMES FROM LOUISIANA not China. That cr$$ is nasty!

Pat
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Crawfish ID - 03/30/15 01:28 AM
Originally Posted By: poppy65
I've never eaten crawfish and don't know anyone who has but I know they eat a lot of them down south. I see a local store has crawfish tail meat for sale now. What does it taste like? I wondered how it would be in a shrimp scampi type sauce with linguinne.

IMHO they taste awesome and would be great in shrimp scampi!
Posted By: anthropic Re: Crawfish ID - 03/30/15 01:55 AM
Big crawfish best, because you get a lot more meat for the peeling. I've had tail meat before, personally I prefer whole mudbugs boiled in spices, but it can be good.

Excellent with pasta. Just be careful of Chinese, they are cheaper but you have no idea how they were raised. Not as tasty, either, in my biased opinion.

If you ever get down here in crawfish season, usually Feb thru May, get in touch and I'll take you to some really good places. Just had 3 lb as an appetizer for lunch, as a matter of fact!
© Pond Boss Forum