Pond Boss
Posted By: fishm_n Creek chub spawning!! - 03/26/15 12:14 AM
Saw some spawners yesterday. They sure are pretty. Went back today and all their color was gone. Probably because I brought the camera. I really wanted a picture and to see what the pike and walleye thought of them. You guys w with lcs do the get the pretty spawning colors?
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Creek chub spawning!! - 03/26/15 01:07 AM
LCS don't get colored up like male creek chubs do. They get a little purple and green but do get large tubercules on their heads like the creek chubs.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Creek chub spawning!! - 03/26/15 02:33 AM
Creek chubs are one of my most most favorite pond baits, especially for our hook-shy channel catfish.

Tomorrow is supposed to be very warm (upper 60s F) and rainy. I may just put on my waders and take my one-person 4-foot seine to the creek below our farm.

During late spring to mid-autumn I usually catch creek chubs on #10 hooks with small pieces of worm. It doesn't take long to catch a dozen or two.

Earlier this week I put a couple of hundred rosy reds in one of my brood ponds. If I get some creek chubs tomorrow, they will go in the pond with the rosy reds.

This time of year there is a fair amount of water flowing through that brood pond from the upper pond (HBG/CC/HSB) to the lower pond (BG/RES/unwanted catfish and crappie/LMB/HSB).

Maybe during spring break, the creek chubs and rosy reds will have a little fun, and provide us with lots of little ones. Hopefully, they can produce far more offspring than the bull frogs can consume before the fish are bait size.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Creek chub spawning!! - 03/27/15 05:43 AM
A creek chub trophy pond? With creek chubs not being able to reproduce in the pond environment, no risk of them over populating. Several dozen creek chubs with roseyreds as forage would be interesting...
© Pond Boss Forum