Pond Boss
Posted By: loretta Papershell crayfish check - 11/12/12 05:42 PM
When I stocked my forage minnows (about 1.5 years ago) I also was given a few papershell crayfish. I haven't seen them since and I'm wondering if they are still in the pond.

Is it possible to trap them this time of year? I have a standard minnow trap and a couple of chicken necks, will this work or should I wait until spring? How deep should I set the trap? Any advice is appreciated.

Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Papershell crayfish check - 11/12/12 06:08 PM
I catch my crays in various depths between 1-3' in weedy or rocky areas. I bait my traps with AM LMB pellets. I have no clue if you can still get them this time of year...I know I was trapping them two weeks ago, but it was much warmer then.
Posted By: loretta Re: Papershell crayfish check - 11/14/12 07:48 AM
Thanks TJ! Our temperature is going back up to 50 by the weekend so I may try this.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Papershell crayfish check - 11/15/12 12:14 AM
Papershells go dormant in late fall and are difficult but not impossible to catch.
Posted By: loretta Re: Papershell crayfish check - 11/15/12 04:32 PM
Thanks Bill for saving me the trouble, I'll wait until spring. I should have sampled before stocking my fish but I doubt anything is big enough to eat them now anyway.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Papershell crayfish check - 11/15/12 05:14 PM
An abundance of crayfish will contribute somewhat and to varying degrees to your water turbidity which is maybe occurring in your case. Late spring is the best time to sample for papershell crayfish in northern states.
Posted By: loretta Re: Papershell crayfish check - 11/16/12 02:28 AM
Really, with so few crayfish? How many babies can a papershell produce?

I guess I know next to nothing about crayfish. I know they taste good (having lived in New Orleans for a few years). Do you have a good link about Papershell Crayfish that you could share?
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Papershell crayfish check - 11/16/12 03:35 PM
I know of no good link that deals with the autecology of papershell crayfish. There are some good paper copies of journal articles about crayfish ecology. Generally - Some time after mating the female lays about 200 (50-300) eggs, which she carries in a mass under her tail. After several weeks the eggs hatch, and a hoard of minute, perfectly formed, ravenous baby crayfish emerge. At first they continue to ride along under the female's tail, eating tiny waterborne bits of food, but soon they leave this security and head out on their own. During these early days many are eaten by fish, insects, and other crayfish, but some always survive to fulfill their destiny.

Comment - If 25 female crayfish each laid 150 eggs that hatched and no predators were present, a small pond could easily have 2000-3000 crayfish which is enough activity to cause turbid water especially if aeration is present for water currents to keep silt/detritus in suspension. Recycling of plant material from crafish garzing would also contribute to increased productivity and increased phytoplankton.

Posted By: loretta Re: Papershell crayfish check followup - 05/05/13 05:56 AM
I set my trap 2 days ago with chicken necks and left it overnight. No crayfish. I dropped it in another spot and I'll check it tomorrow but I don't think I have any mudbugs left. frown
Posted By: kenc Re: Papershell crayfish check followup - 05/05/13 06:07 PM
Loretta, what brand chicken did you use? You may need to use a upscale brand to entice your craws.
Posted By: Dawghall Re: Papershell crayfish check followup - 05/05/13 11:47 PM
Not to hijack, but does anyone have a pic or web site that shows their crayfish trap? I've tried a couple different styles, but haven't had much luck. Just curious what type are succesful for others.
Posted By: RydforLyf Re: Papershell crayfish check followup - 05/06/13 06:24 PM
Try this one.....

http://www.terrybullard.com/crayfish_products.html
Posted By: Dawghall Re: Papershell crayfish check followup - 05/31/13 02:56 AM
Anyone know of a place that will overnight papershell crayfish? Also if you've tried this already, were the papershells healthy after delivery?
Posted By: Zep Re: Papershell crayfish check followup - 05/31/13 03:24 AM
Originally Posted By: Dawghall
Anyone know of a place that will overnight papershell crayfish? Also if you've tried this already, were the papershells healthy after delivery?

SmithCreekFishFarm (scroll down list to 6th from bottom)
Posted By: MattWI Re: Papershell crayfish check followup - 06/01/13 01:11 PM
Mine were healthy and looked very good.
© Pond Boss Forum