Pond Boss
Posted By: salex Different types of Tilapia - 02/08/10 09:48 PM
What are the differences between Mozanbique and Niloticus Tilapia? When buying them live, why are Mozanbique more expensive?
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Different types of Tilapia - 02/08/10 10:45 PM
Steve, I'll let Rex or someone discuss the differences. However, in Texas, it doesn't matter. We can only stock Mozambique.
Posted By: salex Re: Different types of Tilapia - 02/09/10 01:49 AM
I have been told that if you buy from the live tilapia 'food" distributors and ask for Mozanbique, they will often sell you Mozanbique, but it reality you may or may not get mozanbiaue, it could be Noliticus or some other strain. How would you know the difference unless you are an expert?
Posted By: Weissguy Re: Different types of Tilapia - 02/09/10 02:52 AM
Technically speaking, Mozambiques are slower growing than the other two popular tilapia strains readily available in the US (Niles and Blues), and are less desirable as a food fish. Since you are in Texas, Mozambiques are your only choice however. I think you would find that most Tilapia called Mozambique Tilapia actually have a varying amount of Nile and Blue genes in them anyway.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Different types of Tilapia - 02/09/10 10:25 AM
Yeah, they are usually some sort of obscure cross but you had better not let the Law know about it.
Posted By: Weissguy Re: Different types of Tilapia - 02/09/10 11:01 PM
 Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Yeah, they are usually some sort of obscure cross but you had better not let the Law know about it.

Exactly.
© Pond Boss Forum