Pond Boss
WE'RE BAAAAAAAAACK! in Arlington.

The Second Pond Boss Conference is underway. Vendors, staff members, and Unpaid Senior Staff Analysts (such as your truly) are busy putting the finishing touches on all the booths in the Arlington Convention Center, with formal activities scheduled to begin in less than an hour and a half.

A great many forum regulars have made it down (or, alternatively, up) to Arlington to be here. To the best of my current knowledge, the member having travelled the farthest is JHAP (who also brought his lovely wife Ricki) who has comne all the way from Sandy Eggo (where they make the waffles); however, if we find out someone else has sojourned from an even more distant location, we will let you know.

BTW, we now have a couple dozen witnesses who can testify that myself, JHAP, and Brettski ARE NOT multiple personalities inhabiting one body! It's either that, or one of our personalities ("Dr. Weizel") is a master group hypnotist.

NOTE: Different folks may be utilizing the same log-on name for posts from Arlington (like last year), so we (I, at least) will try to put a hard signature in after posts for positive poster I.D.

-Theo Gallus
Posted By: Sunil Re: POND BOSS NEWS: Nearly Live from PondCon2 - 07/11/08 12:44 PM
Does anyone have any Advil?

Sunil
 Originally Posted By: Sunil
Does anyone have any Advil?

Sunil

Sunil:

Crawl out from under the lampshade and see me.
Hey, ya'll. I sent in registration with payment info Wed. by email. Should I have gotten a conf. back or anything?
Hail, Hail...the gang's all here.
Wow, what a great opening evening last night....and we haven't even officically started the convention. I finally get to meet so many of the friends that were, up until now, only identified with text imprints. The personalities all come to real-time life and a pack of fish nutz take it to another level of insanity fun.
Bruce....you owe me a new pair of reading glasses. \:\) That guy has SO MUCH ENERGY. When we first met, he hugged me (in a manly way) so freakin' hard that he snapped the reading glasses in my shirt pocket. No kidding.
-
That's the level of comradery that's buzzin' thru this Pond Boss family. Wish you were here.
Posted By: ewest Re: POND BOSS NEWS: Nearly Live from PondCon2 - 07/11/08 01:08 PM

Posted By: ewest Re: POND BOSS NEWS: Nearly Live from PondCon2 - 07/11/08 02:53 PM
Cecil and SDSU's Northern Pond.

Keep up on the pics for us bumbs that couldn't make it.
Posted By: ewest Re: POND BOSS NEWS: Nearly Live from PondCon2 - 07/11/08 04:18 PM
 Originally Posted By: burgermeister
Hey, ya'll. I sent in registration with payment info Wed. by email. Should I have gotten a conf. back or anything?

Don't know, burger. Bring what confirmation you can (copy of e-mail) and come on down (up?). Kathy and everyone else from the PB Staff are here to straighten things out if need be.

-Theo
Posted By: ewest Re: POND BOSS NEWS: Nearly Live from PondCon2 - 07/11/08 04:27 PM
 Originally Posted By: fishtech
Keep up on the pics for us bumbs that couldn't make it.

Will Do. I have shots I will be posting after I get home.

-Theo

P.S. Thanks to all the folks that couldn't make it who contributed items for the silent auction. Many of them are getting bids run up high.
Posted By: Russ Re: POND BOSS NEWS: Nearly Live from PondCon2 - 07/11/08 06:39 PM
Thanks for the pictures Eric........keep'm coming!
Good to hear you all are alive and well. Sorry we couldn't make it this year. We had a great time last year! Our southern Illinois cabin is about finished and our pond is looking great. I hope to post some pics soon. Y'all be careful navigating around Arlington and vicinity. Sunil, you keep Theo and Bill Cody in line. I'm toasting you all as I type!!
Posted By: Sunil Re: POND BOSS NEWS: Nearly Live from PondCon2 - 07/12/08 06:22 AM
Some of you don't know how fine a lady clarbird is, and we are missing her this year.
Posted By: ewest Re: POND BOSS NEWS: Nearly Live from PondCon2 - 07/12/08 01:43 PM
Across the road from the Arlington Sheraton is a great horking big amusement park (IIRC "Six Flags Over Larry Hagman"), with what looks like world-class roller coasters. But rather than enjoy such minor thrills, last night the bravest two dozen PMs at the PB Conference road to North Main Street Barbeque in two hotel shuttle vans. I had the pleasure of being in the van driven by last year's award winning death-defying driver, Howard the Jamaican Van Driver.

It should be noted that less brave (or, alternatively, more intelligent) members of the PM community here travelled to the BBQ via private vehicles directed by DFW natives who actually knew the way. Wusses.

Forum regulars may remember the hair-raising acoounts of last year's drive with Howard. Last night's ride was even more entertaining, if somewhat less terrifying. Apparently, the shortest way to the BBQ place now goes through Norman, Oklahoma. Fortunately, both vans (and the poor, lost tourists following us in a Hyundai), eventually made it to the BBQ while it was still open for business. The hotel's nominal 3 mile limit for shuttle rides was probably not exceeded by over a hundred miles.

The highlight of the trip was when Howard, who had a cell-phone connected to the restaurant in one hand, a cell-phone connected to BBQ Trip Navigation Officer Dave Davidson in the other hand, a point-to-point walkie-talkie connection to the second van in the gripping hand, the Rangers baseball game on the radio, and rap music playing on his mp3 player, took time out from steering to exclaim "WHOA!" at a traffic accident we were passing (for the record, Howard did not cause this accident).

The food was just as great as last year!

-Theo
Posted By: ewest Re: POND BOSS NEWS: Nearly Live from PondCon2 - 07/12/08 02:06 PM

The auction. Theo eyes the computer.

Dave Davidson interview for Purina.

The Vertex Crew

Posted By: Dwight Re: POND BOSS NEWS: Nearly Live from PondCon2 - 07/12/08 03:06 PM
What's happening with the auction?
Posted By: ewest Re: POND BOSS NEWS: Nearly Live from PondCon2 - 07/12/08 04:01 PM
I haven't heard a final $ amount for the auction yesterday, but the preliminary total was higher than last year IIRC. In general, there were more top-end items that attracted higher bids.

Speaking personally, I was chasing the laptop computer and made several bids which were approaching my personal limit for that particular item. My concerned friend Bruce Condello pulled me aside and inquired how much higher I might go for it. I named a figure.

5 minutes later Bruce made his first bid on the laptop, at an amount that happened to be just above the limit I had mentioned. Sheer coincidence, I think.

I ran the (descriptive expletive) up another few bucks before letting it go.

-Theo
Posted By: Dwight Re: POND BOSS NEWS: Nearly Live from PondCon2 - 07/12/08 04:25 PM
I am glad to hear there was a little friendly competition going on down there in Arlington!
Friendly. Right.
Quote from Mike Otto's talk:

"The Bible talks about water and fish. So does Pond Boss. If you don't have time to read the Bible, you should definitely read Pond Boss."
Posted By: ewest Re: POND BOSS NEWS: Nearly Live from PondCon2 - 07/12/08 08:12 PM
Dale Hall and Mongo (Dave Sefton)

Dr. Mark Griffin, unknown, unknown, JHAP, rmedgar, (obscured), George Glazener

keep the pics comin eric, thanks......

JHAP why the glazed look? would that be too much "info" the night before or too much info on fly fishin?? \:\)
Posted By: BarO Re: POND BOSS NEWS: Nearly Live from PondCon2 - 07/13/08 01:45 AM
Wonder if George had to strike any of his audience with that rod? Bet not..... he was talking fly-fishin' for sure.
Posted By: BarO Re: POND BOSS NEWS: Nearly Live from PondCon2 - 07/13/08 01:48 AM
P.S. Is the "Guvenor" running for office again???????? I don't even see the cue cards. \:\)
The meeting was great again this year, folks. Sure enjoyed myself.

Dwight -- I don't have a final figure on the auction, either. However, we will be at least 30% above last year. I'll post the total later after everything is reported to me. Many thanks for that notebook -- it sparked a lot of interest.

My only regret from the meeting -- not spending more quality time visiting with Sunil. However, every time my beer got low, he suddenly appeared beside me with another one! My guardian angel.
Posted By: A-Hubs Re: POND BOSS NEWS: Nearly Live from PondCon2 - 07/13/08 05:31 AM
Hey guys this is Allen Huber with Herman Brothers Pond Management (to borrow a Ray Scott tactic: view our products at hbpondmanagement.com)

I just wanted to get on here and let you all know how much i learned and appreciated this conference. I'll try to keep up with you all on here and see if i can learn more as time passes.
Posted By: J-Herm Re: POND BOSS NEWS: Nearly Live from PondCon2 - 07/13/08 05:31 AM
so this is justin herman sunil just came over and prettty much held me to gun point and said sign up on the forum... just messin with you sunil...
i think i am goin to spend way to much time on here.
Posted By: Sunil Re: POND BOSS NEWS: Nearly Live from PondCon2 - 07/13/08 06:36 AM
So I met these two Young Men, A-Hubs and J-Herm, who happen to be associated with our n8ly (who also attended the show). We got to hang out a good bit. Nice folks.

A few hours ago, I was walking through the lobby, and I see these two Young Men at the free wi-fi area with their laptops. Of course, I said "are you checking the forum?"

There was silence. There was a 2' high concrete/marble planter type thing between me and them (don't forget that these two Young Men were paying attendees at the show and were there with their laptops at the wi-fi hub).

I asked the same question again this time being within 1' of their faces (I believe I must have passed directly through the planter-type thing as it was only a moment between questions, but I really don't remember; I didn't spill my beer though).

These Young Men had never been on the forum before!!!!!!!...and they were PC/Internet savvy and had attended the show!!!!!!!!!

I demanded that they set up log-ins with zero delay. I stood there while they did it.

Somehow, they didn't realize what they had at their finger tips.

Outstanding Young Men! Thank you for coming to the show and let's continue to grow our relationships through our passion for ponds and this wonderful forum.

Welcome aboard!
I'm bleary eyed, still half aslee, waitin' for the coffee and all I can think about is how much plain ole down home fun we had plus the opportunity to meet and learn from sone of the most outstanding fisheries folks in the country.

More later when my head clears but my most graciouns thanks to all my old and new friends for couresies extended.
George Glazener
Dwight, I was going to buy the laptop. I thought I would wait until the last second and put in a winning bid. Theo and Bruce threatened me (OK, glared at me) and I backed slowly away.

So, I bought 3 Shimano reels. I figure you would understand that.

No idea what I did with them. I guess they are somewhere around here or in the garage. Guess I had better start building some more rods.

BTW, whoever left the Porcupine Fish Attractor in the Mens Room can come to my house to claim it.
Posted By: TOM G Re: POND BOSS NEWS: Nearly Live from PondCon2 - 07/13/08 01:24 PM
Lord,what a blast.I had an exceptionally good time at the convention.It was great to meet everyone and share experiences.
EWEST,about the wusses thing,if a couple of us haddent ridden with DD1 he would have had to lug all that beer into the bbq place all ny himself.Does that sound fair to you?Besides,we got there first to set up the good cold berages for everyone else(and eat all the best of the bbq before you guys got there!)
As an on the side,I noticed JHAP taking a lot of pics after ours,are ya'll gonna ban him from posting pics? \:D

Note - Tom that was not me that called them that in the prior post. I knew better than to ride with "Howard The Crazed" and I drove and took some folks with me. Howard did almost get me killed on the way back when he cut off a car which ended up getting me trapped between a couple outrage T-Ranger fans. Tom great to meet you and the kids. All -Tom was there early after having to work the night before saving some guys business when his pumps went down. Just another example of the passion of the folks here.
 Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1

...BTW, whoever left the Porcupine Fish Attractor in the Mens Room can come to my house to claim it.

I got news for ya Dave...
that ain't no Porcupine Fish Attractor
I just got home from Port Columbus following my flight home, and am downloading pics (gotta lotta) to sort, size, and post.

What a great conference again this year! Random notes:

Burgermeister has to have one of the most interesting jobs of anyone I've ever met.

Dr. Layton Runkle ("LRunkle") wowed us last night with the Ear, Nose and Throat Surgeon's Guide to Common Mishaps at Lake Thunderbird, Oklahoma.

I'm getting old. n8ly (Nate Herman), in addition to providing great forum answers after like 2 weeks here, looks to be all of 23 years old. His brother Justin (J-Herm) and their associate Allen (A-Hubs), who by my standards are fully competent fish-squeezers, were carded while buying bubble gum at Starbucks.

Jeff Has A Pond changes his handle depending on the current situation. During the conference, we also met Jeff Has An Appetite, Jeff Has A Beer, Jeff Has Another Beer, Jeff Has A Hangover, and Jeff Has a Really Nice Wife Ricki.

Condello brought the collapsible spinning rod & eel he keeps with him a all times, and was seen landing whitefish in the Arlington Sheraton Mens' Room. Maybe that explains the porcupine (?).

Disclaimer: JHAP did not actually have a hangover, but he does have a really nice wife.
It sure is fun to go someplace where all you see and hear is adults really enjoying themselves. Another fantastic and successful conference -- thank you all.

And, there is just no other worldly or spiritual experience like going to a restaurant an hour away (about five straight-line miles) with Howard the van driver.

I hope everyone got home safely. We made it as far as Oklahoma City -- a stopoff to see our son and daughter-in-law for a few days.

Ken and Lynda

Posted By: Sunil Re: POND BOSS NEWS: Nearly Live from PondCon2 - 07/13/08 10:30 PM
Just got home an hour back. I feel like I've been gone for a week plus (in a good way, I think).
Whenever Blaine gets back home and hooks up with the forum, SEND ME A PM!
Blaine has experienced a pondmeister life-changing occurrence that we need to discuss and prepare for journalistic excellence. This press release is loaded and dangerous.
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus

Random notes:

Burgermeister has to have one of the most interesting jobs of anyone I've ever met. Bski adds: Absolutely agree. Burger, you've been holding back. Your What's my Line Q&A was fascinating!
Dr. Layton Runkle ("LRunkle") wowed us last night with the Ear, Nose and Throat Surgeon's Guide to Common Mishaps at Lake Thunderbird, Oklahoma. Bski adds: Mr and Mrs Runkle graced the table with their presence at our Sat evening dinner engagement. Doc made me laugh so freakin' hard that I cried. When I woke up this morning, I started laughing again. When I got home, I told Dski and now she's laughin'. You killed, Doc! (figureatively)

Posted By: ewest Re: POND BOSS NEWS: Nearly Live from PondCon2 - 07/13/08 11:56 PM
You guys are just starting to learn about the fantastic people who are this PB Family. For each and every one of the many here who we all would agree are a great asset as posters , there are 50 more who don't post much (or at all) but will astonish you with their personality and character when you meet them in person.

The depth and breath of the talent ,quality and persona of the people who are this Forum is beyond belief until you meet them in person. I may try later to better explain - after I recover from the shock of the event.
As anticipated, the Conference was fantastic! I am thankful for this wonderful group, and my dad and I feel blessed to be part of something so special.

After supper on Saturday evening, JHAP and I were discussing the unexplainable camaraderie the people on this forum have with one another. There are many other forums that link people through a common interest or passion. I doubt, though, that any others have such a close-knit group that truly look forward to spending time together. This place is first-class!
Dave, one reel was found near the Sherton makeshift bar. Surely not your's, though. I dont recall who took it with them, but I'm sure they will post it. I know you really needed those reels to give you good reason for some more rods.
Hey Jim, I have all 3 of my reels PLUS one fish attractor.
I had an unbelievable time. The only regret is not getting to spend more time with each person. Time just went way too fast.
I would like to 'can' Ewest's presentation for posterity. Was it recorded? I had read of his being a true Southern gentleman, but that was such an inspirational talk, it gave me chills. Thanks, my friend, and home boy.
I rather enjoyed the troublemakers roundtable the last day.
 Originally Posted By: burgermeister
Dave, one reel was found near the Sherton makeshift bar. Surely not your's, though. I dont recall who took it with them, but I'm sure they will post it. I know you really needed those reels to give you good reason for some more rods.

DD1 needs reels like he needs "another" hole in his head.

I believe that reel is Blaine's. He won a reel at the convention and then left it near the bar. After remembering that he left it a few hours later, Matt bet him a round that it was gone. Fortunately for me (since I was included in the round), it was gone.
Posted By: ewest Re: POND BOSS NEWS: Nearly Live from PondCon2 - 07/14/08 02:51 AM
Burger I had been waiting to meet you in person for 4 years now. I am sure glad we got together . You sir are a true gem and an honor to your roots here. Heybud has Miss roots as well. You guys have a standing invite anytime you get this direction.

All that talk did was reflect what we all feel - nurture the magic ties that bind you to the land and water then preserve and protect :

All the Moderators

Theo , B'ski , Burger , Bill & Dave D.

Brandon can teach & old dog new tricks - DD1 ties flies

None of the Mods

Eric, that was a very moving talk. You did a good job of completing the difficult assignment you were given by Bob. So good I never figured out the identity of all 4 of the "completely separate topics" you were supposed to connect - they were too well blended into a meaningful presentation.
"Burgermeister has to have one of the most interesting jobs of anyone I've ever met. Bski adds: Absolutely agree. Burger, you've been holding back. Your What's my Line Q&A was fascinating!"

OK, for those of you on the edge of your seats:
I eat fish heads, snake heads, frog heads, turtle heads, and the occasional GBH head, if one happens to fall from the sky...
for fun and profit. Yes, I am a POND GEEK!
...you might be a pondmeister if
The forum this year was about as much fun as is legal for adults to have. The presentations were excellent but the company and comraderie was over the top. I especially enjoyed adding JHAP and Brettski to familiar online presences who I now have met in person, and both lived up to my expectations based on their posting. Bob Lusk is real gentleman and a host of the highest order. I really look forward to our next meeting.
Posted By: Blaine Re: POND BOSS NEWS: Nearly Live from PondCon2 - 07/14/08 04:21 PM
devasta & burgermeister,

The reel is mine. It was actually presented to me as a gift of friendship from Matt Rayl of Aquatic Eco Systems. Then I showed my appreciation my setting it down (probably because I had a beer in each hand)and forgetting it until later that night after it had disappeared.

I would be most appreciative to get it sent to me and I'll pay the shipping. Let me know and I'll send my address. Thanks guys
Posted By: ewest Re: POND BOSS NEWS: Nearly Live from PondCon2 - 07/15/08 01:31 AM
Ray Scott book signing

Bill and Mark Cornwell - ride in the auction boat

Liner - Lusk - West and Kientz

Dale Hall - Jim Liner - Mike Otto

Todd , Clint and the fish tank

Melissa - Theo - Dave

Originally Posted By: FattyMcButterpants
I rather enjoyed the troublemakers roundtable the last day.

Slim, I also enjoyed being the regular or normal guy to a table full of pond clowns.
Eric, thanks for the names on photos - big help for folks that were not present and for others with short term memmory loss?

How 'bout one set assmbled from everyones pictures with ID's?
So much action at times faces were a blur and not sure I have names on all faces.
george:

I will put in as many names as I know.

No Captain and Coke, but the DMD just blew out of my nose.
Posted By: ewest Re: POND BOSS NEWS: Nearly Live from PondCon2 - 07/15/08 05:50 PM
I do have a link to how Green Sunfish cause hair loss. \:D

Put them in the pond - then you get in and stand still while they nip out your hair. If you hold your breath and stick your head in - well you get the picture. \:o
Blane posted on other thread I got the reel, sorry. Finders keepers...., just kidding will ship it to you.

I had a great time and also wish I had more time to talk to folks one on one. Sign of a good time is when it goes by quickly. Still trying to catch up on sleep.
Quote from Mike Otto's talk:

"The Bible talks about water and fish. So does Pond Boss. If you don't have time to read the Bible, you should definitely read Pond Boss."

This was one of the best one-liners that occured during a presentation (IMHO). Or is that a three liner, I don't know, it was funny either way.
 Originally Posted By: ewest
I do have a link to how Green Sunfish cause hair loss. \:D

eric, did JHAP mention that i'm bald too? very interesting
I wasn't going to go there DIED, but now that you mention it....
I believe the gentleman to the right of JHAP in the fly fishing lesson is Harvey Dupriest. He is the 1st person I met while walking up to the Conf. Center door. A member since '02 from Canton, Tx.
I hope that's right, Harvey.
It was another great conference, the speakers sure build giant dreams inside my head. I love seeing the traditional values thrown out the window, and the state of the art products that are now available to pond owners. There is a new breed of pond owner brewing, and I'm proud to be part of the leading edge. I enjoyed talking to a lot of old friends, met some members for the first time, and missed a few friends I was looking for. Time flew by...it ranks right up there with my best memories of 2008. There was a LOT of free stuff too, my Pop already tried the HUGE LMB pellets from the Purina booth samples, He said a CC inhaled it within seconds of hitting the water.

Did anyone ask Todd Overton if he has feed trained F1's?
Yep, that's Harvey.
Posted By: ewest Re: POND BOSS NEWS: Nearly Live from PondCon2 - 07/16/08 02:20 AM
Bob Robinson with Kasco

I have some photos uploaded.

PEOPLE

Dr. Perca (Bill Cody) collects exam papers while Blaine is still finishing his test:

Brettski, Burgermeister, and Mongo

Chad Fikes and daughter Zoe. I think he kinda likes her.

JHAP, Mrs. JHAP (Ricki), George Glazener, Bill COdy, FMcB, & N8ly's eyes

Fisheries Brain Trust: Dave Willis, Melissa Weullner, Dave Beasley, and Mark Cornwell

More tomorrow. I need some shuteye and a shot of bourbon.
That darn test was hard! I did great on the math section but had to cheat off of Sunil for the rest of it.

Great photos Theo.
More People

Lusk, Chris Steelman, and Chris' Dad Randall:

Lusk talks with the crew from Overton's

"The Vatsas", Son David (Davatsa) and Dad Al (Ahvatsa). I think Dave must have his Mother's eyes. Somewhere.

Reflections:

Chis and his dad Randall are great folks. Chris is soft spoken, confident young man, I sure hope he decides to persue Pond Bossin as a career. Chis is also a tremendous fly fisherman and fish filleter. Ricki and I had the pleasure of talking with Randall one evening, he is an inspirational "just do it" type of person. He had some great tractor tales. I have serious tractor envy.

I only briefly got a chance to talk to the Overton crew - good people one and all. I want to personally thank them (and the other Pond Boss folks) that set up that fish tank. I know that it must have taken a tremendous effort and I think that it really added to the ambience of the room. You guys are great.

David and Al are "salt of the earth" people that I feel honored to have spent time with. We had a great conversation about the friendship factor of Pond Boss - we concluded that we are all more that just a forum, we are an extended family, and now they have at least one black sheep in their family tree. (Please, please Brettski, do not create a photochop of my head on a black sheep, please, please, grovel, please).
A couple of times I got to hear Dave Beasley and Dr. Mark Cornwell get into discussions about various fisheries topics. They are both very knowledgeable and well-spoken. It was then I realized that is such a great part of the conference--a chance to learn, and yes, even argue about stuff. It was all in fun, but it was at those moments that I realized that Bob has created something that couldn't possibly exist otherwise. It's a chance to get some of these great minds to get together, and a chance for the rest of us to listen! \:\)
Posted By: n8ly Re: POND BOSS NEWS: Nearly Live from PondCon2 - 07/16/08 01:21 PM

I'm getting old. n8ly (Nate Herman) looks to be all of 23 years old. His brother Justin (J-Herm) and their associate Allen (A-Hubs), who by my standards are fully competent fish-squeezers, were carded while buying bubble gum at Starbucks.

Jeff Has A Pond changes his handle depending on the current situation. During the conference, we also met Jeff Has An Appetite, Jeff Has A Beer, Jeff Has Another Beer, Jeff Has A Hangover, and Jeff Has a Really Nice Wife Ricki.
[/size]

Nate is 25, Justin and Allen are 19. We started Herman Brothers Pond Management last April.

JNHACP!
Jeff Now Has A Catfish Pond to go along with all of the other things that Jeff Has. He caught a 6.25 lb channel catfish at Lusks place! Need Bruce to post some fish pics from lusks place, probably should start a new thread for that topic!!!

Ricki by far is the best asset that Jeff has!

George,
Chris and I had a blast catching fish with our flyrods and conference flies!!!! THANKS!!!! Will post pics in a new thread once Bruce gets caught up.
 Originally Posted By: Bruce Condello
A couple of times I got to hear Dave Beasley and Dr. Mark Cornwell get into discussions about various fisheries topics. They are both very knowledgeable and well-spoken. It was then I realized that is such a great part of the conference--a chance to learn, and yes, even argue about stuff. It was all in fun, but it was at those moments that I realized that Bob has created something that couldn't possibly exist otherwise. It's a chance to get some of these great minds to get together, and a chance for the rest of us to listen! \:\)

Bruce, you are one of those great minds. BUT, you're pretty tight with the bluegill info. I wanted to ask, what type feed, how much, how many times per day, how many handfed earthworms per BG. Do you have to call them by name, or do they know when it's their turn at the trough, etc
 Originally Posted By: n8ly
Jeff Now Has A Catfish Pond to go along with all of the other things that Jeff Has. He caught a 6.25 lb channel catfish at Lusks place! Need Bruce to post some fish pics from lusks place, probably should start a new thread for that topic!!!

Ricki by far is the best asset that Jeff has!

It was great meeting you Nate, I'll email you related to the topics that we discussed.

And yep, you are right, Ricki is by far and away my best asset.
Conference photos are ending up in several different threads, rather than start a new thread I'll post mine here.

Got it done!!!!

See below:
At a corner booth in this Whatta Burger the Pond Boss empire began. Bob says the burgers are great. I never got to find out.

Forum members (from left) Mongo, Theo, JHAP, Fatty McButterpants, George, Brettski, Ewest, Burgermeister, Bob Lusk, Princess Debbie, and Sunil.

Bruce just can't stop fishing, even at a conference, even when the only fish are in a fish tank, even when he doesn't have a hook on the line. And he darn near caught a fish without the hook. I'm telling you the guy is a fishing machine.

Ricki (aka JWHAP), Ray Scott, and JHAP. We had the pleasure the honor and pleasure to have lunch with Ray, Bob and Princess Debbie on Thursday. We won the Ray Scott books and hat, which Ray autographed with a very nice personal touch.

JHAP is modeling the GSA world class T-shirt line. These shirts will be available and the finer stores in your area soon. As you can see they are available in large sizes.

Bob Lusk and Princess Debbie after being presented with the spoils of the silent auction. One is happy, the other not so much.

Bob is a great sport and a very funny guy, generous with his time and belongings. Debbie is worthy of being called Princess Debbie, what a gracious host, and a class act she is, and she is also very funny to boot.

Ricki and I thank you both from the bottom of our hearts for all you did for us during conference week. Our lives are enriched for having met you two.
On the way to the lusk lodge we stopped at a convenience store.

Bruce found a quality hat at an affordable price.

The vibe he was putting out was incredible.

It takes a real man to wear a pink hat and a baby blue shirt and yet he pulls it off. Unbelievable.

Posted By: Sunil Re: POND BOSS NEWS: Nearly Live from PondCon2 - 07/16/08 02:39 PM
Speaking of Bruce, that guy's casting skills are off the charts.

He stood 10' back from Overton's tank and put a jighead into the tank through a 1" x 1" opening. Unreal
Lusk Lodge 2. All I can say is WOW. Photos do not do this place justice. I tried long and hard to convince Bob and Debbie that they really, really needed a live-in CPA and Registered Nurse team. He told me he'd get back to me. So far the phone hasn't rang.

Not visible in this photo is the Lusk Lodge: Heliport, Bowling Alley, Lure museum, movie theatre, 7 of his 8 ponds (no I'm not kidding, eight ponds) and various other amenities.

I'm telling you the place is beautiful.

Layton caught the first fish of the day. Upon teaching me the finer points of the Condello Method of Photography, Bruce gave me the thumbs up to take this photo. Layton brought tears to the eyes of JHAP, JWHAP, Theo and Brettski with his medical stories (he is a retired physician), I'm trying to convince him to tell one particular story here in the forums. His wife is an absolute gem.

Nate found the Zip line and put it to good use.

I wanna Zip Line, I want one bad.

Don't worry folks Nate can swim.

Aaron and a bass that he caught. Unfortunately this is not the photo of the big bass that he caught (which weighed over 5 pounds). I think Bruce has a photo of that bass. Aaron and Bruce fished and fished and fished and fished. Made me tired just watching them.

Aaron is a very interesting guy and is living proof that Small Mouth Bass can be raised in warm conditions..... like Arizona.

In an alternate universe, in a land far, far away, Bruce's polar opposite catches a Bass and illustrates the "Reverse Condello Method of Photography."

Somehow Theo transported me to this alternate universe and back using only his watch, a coat hanger, and some WD-40. I was just able to snap this photo before I was tugged back into reality. All I can say is becareful around Theo, be very, very careful.

Oh and don't ask me what Bruce's opposite is doing with his fishing pole, I figured it was one of those don't ask, don't tell situations.

Jeffhasabluegill

Nate caught this bluegill using the fly pole he was holding.

Nate is a great guy. Ricki and I are proud count him amoungst our friends. If I had a son I'd want him to be just like Nate.

Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
At a corner booth in this Whatta Burger the Pond Boss empire began. Bob says the burgers are great. I never got to find out.

Whattaburger has the best fast-food hamburgers in the entire world.

It takes a real man to wear a pink hat and a baby blue shirt and yet he pulls it off. Unbelievable.

I just forgot how to breath.
Ricki (aka JWHAP) caught her very first Coppernosed Bluegill. Bruce said her fish was bigger than any Coppernose that he had ever caught. I'm not sure if this is that particular fish or not. Things were fast and furious for a while there when we were all fishing for panfish. Ricki reeled in fish after fish. Somehow Bruce got Ricki to actually hold a fish. I think some form of hypnosis was used but I can't be certain.

"Thank you lord for this fish that my belly is about to receive and thank for for the strength to reel this 6.25 pound monster (a personal record for channel cat) on 4 pound test with this ultra light pole and reel, thank you for the instructions from Bruce on how to land this fish, thank you for Nate's fishing lessons that made this personal best possible."

And on a more serious note, thank you all for being part of this forum, thank you Bob Lusk and Mike Otto for providing us with Pond Boss, thank you moderators for keeping the forum on the internet. Thank you Bob Lusk and Princess Debbie for so generously including Ricki and I in this wonderous day. JHAP and JWHAP are truly blessed to have found this wonderful place and have met so very many new friends.

From the bottom of our hearts JHAP and JWHAP thank you one and all.

I will try to keep up with JeffHasACamera.

Special Events

Chris and Catmandoo gave a fish-cleaning demo. It was well and attentively received despite being in the full late afternoon sun.

As JHAP noted, Bruce can't help fishing any available BOW. He came close to landing Todd Overton's Longear Sunfish (which would have been Bruce's first) despite not even having a hook.

George Glazener teaches Dave Davidson "Fly Tying for Goggle-Eyes"

As a special treat for the ladies present, Sunil & FMcB showed off their special brand of (sugarless) eye candy.
Jim Liner couldn't believe it either.

Children of all ages enjoyed the Albino-Bluegill flavored All Day Suckers

although it gave some of them a tummy-ache and ruined their appetite for the burrito bar lunch (Brettski, Bruce, Burgermeister).

Theo, from my best recollection you have these two photos backwards.

I think it went something a little more like this:

Sunil and Fatty McButterpants bust out a body building pose in front of the moderators both.

Unfortuately, this occured at the exact same time that Dave discovered that fly tieing goggles have x-ray properties that allow a person to see through clothes. This nervous smile was followed by a blood chilling scream that was heard for two blocks and finally the violent smashing of the glasses. Fortunately, neither George nor Brandon (barely visable on the left side of the photo) were injured during this event. Dave on the other hand is probably scarred for life.

As and also and besides related to the photo above, the hose that is connected to the table came loose during the demonstration and water started squirting everywhere. Tom G whipped out the smallest pair of channel lock pliers that I have ever seen and immediately fixed the problem. That my friends is a true story.

Children of all ages enjoyed the Albino-Bluegill flavored All Day Suckers

All of the Albino-Bluegill flavored All Day suckers were gone before I got to the fish snacks vendor. All I got was a lousy bite sized Carp Flavored Candy Bar, it was neither "refreshing nor satisifying" as the wrapper assured it would be.
Posted By: ewest Re: POND BOSS NEWS: Nearly Live from PondCon2 - 07/17/08 03:05 AM
We did have some mind bending discussion late into the night. Bio-energetics is a fascinating subject and so are BG & LMB genetics and spawning. I am still looking for some answers. Melissa was on top of the subjects and had some of the guys heads spinning. Even talked about new research that allows the determination of fish diets past and present from scales and spines (not lethal to the fish).
Actually, Eric -- past diet determination from scales and spines (rather than muscle plugs) is where the 2008 money from the Jesse West endowment was used. We'll hope to get Justin VanDeHey to the Pond Boss Conference next year, and update everyone on how the money was used and what he learned. How's that for a first-thought-in-the-morning? This is still experimental stuff.
Ricki and I didn't get to spend much time with Melissa but we kept hearing great reviews about her from everyone.

I am just a layman related to ponds but I must tell you that I am very excited about the calibre of people and the topics that were presented at the conference. I'm sure the presentations probably seemed "dumbed down" for you professional folks but I really enjoyed them.
Oh and Dr. Dave, I was just reading some of your newsletters on your web site. Contratulations on being promoted to department head and and for being inducted in to the Hall of Excellence of the American Fisheries Society, Fisheries Management Section (I hope I got that correct). I'm sure this was probably mentioned on Pond Boss somewhere but I must have missed it.
He has also received the Charles Montgomery Burns Award for Outstanding Achievements in the Field of Excellence.

Deservedly so, I might add.

Jeff -- THE highlight of the entire conference was when you stood up at the first mention of green sunfish and SALUTED! \:\)

Theo is pulling everyone's leg, but I'm too slow to fully understand the joke.

Right click..save as...
 Originally Posted By: Dave Willis
Jeff -- THE highlight of the entire conference was when you stood up at the first mention of green sunfish and SALUTED! \:\)

I got a lot of responses related to that. Actually to set the record straight, I stood and saluted when the GSA logo was displayed during Bill Cody's slide show (twice). All GSA members are required to snap to attention and salute the revered GSA logo. I'm gonna have to have a heart to heart with Otto. Apparantely he didn't get my memo.

Originally Posted By: Dave Willis
Theo is pulling everyone's leg, but I'm too slow to fully understand the joke.

Theo's reference is to a "Simpsons" character (the one that I included about). The character's favorite saying is "Excellent."

Right click..save as...

Right click...personalize...desktop background....
The three stooges? The three musketeers? Hear no evil, see no evil speak no evil?

You think Bruce put's out the vibe. FMB was looking so purdy in his fancy shirt and that Hai Karate cologne he was wearing suddenly I had the urge to plant one on his cheek. Brettski was able to maintain a sense of decorum but I know deep down he wanted some butter.

it wasnt hai karate...it was sex panther..made with bits of real panther...so you know its good
it wasnt hai karate...it was sex panther..made with bits of real panther...so you know its good

Works 60% of the time, every time.
The animal vibe that Fatty was puttin' out was stronger than the car-magnet at White Castle at 2 in the morning. My restraint collapsed shortly after the pic...(edit; subsequent McButter experience deleted)

(In my best Homer Simpson voice)

MMMMMMMMMMMMM, panther.
but seriously.....

I had a great time, met some new friends..and got to see some old friends...good times...good times....I hope yall enjoyed you tour of downtown grapevine.
We finally got home about an hour ago.

I can't even begin to compete with all that has been posted above.

We sure had a great time at the conference. Not that the presentations weren't important, but meeting and re-meeting everyone, was by far the highlight of the conference.

Our trip to Oklahoma was great too, but there are things in Oklahoma that want to bite people!

(this little lady was in my son's air conditioner when I opened it up to do a minor repair)

(and . . . Oklahoma mud trout look a lot like WV mud trout)

Thanks to all for such a great time,
Ken and Lynda G.
Was it Thurs. or Sat. night that the favorite shirt without an occasion was to be worn. Mr. Slim McMargarine does look rather dashing. On Saturday night, Sunil also looked Don Juanish in his retro metro-disco shirt. The makeshift bar kinda ruined the atmosphere. How can I camplain; I was a squatter from the poor side of the forage pond.
We enjoyed the detour. Sunil, not so much. I thought Sunil was gonna perform the Vulcan Death Grip on the Driver. I found out the hard way that Sunil knows this mysterious technique when someone tried to put a koozie on his beer. Sunil grabbed the guy and performed the Grip, he stopped just short of killing the guy, and dumped him behind one of the big plants in the lobby.

Word to the wise, don't mess with Sunil's beer...EVER.
I was disappointed in Bruces "fancy" shirts///loked more like he had been hauling hay all day...not getting a pedicure and doing his hair..
Glad to have ya back Cat. Wow looks like a seriously nasty Black Widow ya got there.

Did you actually shove your arm down the throat of that poor unsuspecting fish?

You think Bruce put's out the vibe. FMB was looking so purdy in his fancy shirt and that Hai Karate cologne he was wearing suddenly I had the urge to plant one on his cheek. Brettski was able to maintain a sense of decorum but I know deep down he wanted some butter.

"Smithers, release the robotic Richard Simmons!"
Eeeeeeexcellent.
 Originally Posted By: Charles Montgomery Burns
"I could crush him like an ant. But it would be too easy. No, revenge is a dish best served cold. I'll bide my time until ...

Oh, what the hell. I'll just crush him like an ant."

I was disappointed in Bruces "fancy" shirts///loked more like he had been hauling hay all day...not getting a pedicure and doing his hair..

Okay, I wasn't going to bring this up, but Fatty broke the ice with the pedicure comment.

I arrived at the Conference in Arlington as A Man on A Mission - to determine whether or not Bruce gets manicured. My wife was sure that he does (I try not to let myself wonder how or why she thinks that). So I gathered photographic evidence, a clear shot of Bruce and his hands:

Upon arriving back home, I showed her the above photo of Bruce and asked "Well? Does he get his hands manicured?"

She studied that picture for several minutes, then answered "No. But he has had eyelash implants!"

Hmmmmmm, after studying the first photo I realized something. Bruce's forehead doesn't move no matter how much he smiles.

I'm thinking Botox, lots of Botox.

Those sure look like the hands of a skillful surgeon. Did anybody get photos of Dr. Condello and Cecil filleting and skinning fish in the 100+ degree sun -- about 45 seconds per fish?
Like a surgeon, hey
Cuttin' for the very first time
Like a surgeon
Here's a waiver for you to sign......

{Weird Al)
© Pond Boss Forum