Pond Boss
Posted By: n8ly Pictures Sunil will appreciate! - 01/01/08 07:47 PM
Sunil,

Here are some pics I think you will enjoy based on info I have gathered from past threads. I am snowed in today, and actually have nothing to do. (My wife thinks I am working on the computer, he he!)

Posted By: Sunil Re: Pictures Sunil will appreciate! - 01/01/08 08:28 PM
Why thanks Nate! You shouldn't have...really!

Somehow these carp don't look as rank as the one in the other thread. Still nasty nonetheless though.

Where is the smallie from?
Posted By: n8ly Re: Pictures Sunil will appreciate! - 01/03/08 12:56 AM
Smallie is from my families 25 acre lake. This doesnt make sense for our area, but the smallmouth are actually outcompeting the LMB (I have been helping reduce the green carps population too). They are spawning so successfully, we are going to start harvesting them in 2008.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Pictures Sunil will appreciate! - 01/03/08 01:02 AM
 Originally Posted By: n8ly
...I have been helping reduce the green carps population...

You've been doing your homework, haven't you. ;\)
Posted By: n8ly Re: Pictures Sunil will appreciate! - 03/28/08 12:49 AM
More Pics for you Sunil.
We caught these fish this week.

We write about every fishing trip we take out at Herman Brothers Fishing Reports
Posted By: george1 Re: Pictures Sunil will appreciate! - 03/28/08 12:59 AM
Carp on the fly - bet that was a blast....
What kind of fly?
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Pictures Sunil will appreciate! - 03/28/08 01:14 AM
Nate,

No offense meant, as I know we all have our own likes, dislikes, and quirks. But, if my pond had that many carp, I'd either hold a "rubber lips" contest, I'd hire Otto to bring in the biggest and fastest machines he had to drain and rebuild my pond, or I'd try to find a budding terrorist to blow it up.

At least the trout looks pretty. \:\)

Ken
Posted By: n8ly Re: Pictures Sunil will appreciate! - 03/28/08 01:14 AM
Carp are just starting to take a fly. They are eating pellets again
and are getting active now that the weather is somewhat warming up. Pellet flies to answer your question. None of those carp above were caught with the flyrod, just the trout.

One of my guides teaches flyfishing, but I dont know how to flyfish very well. He is going to try to break some line class records with the flyrod, cause we got 25 lb+ carp swimming around, just havent got one in yet!
Posted By: Sunil Re: Pictures Sunil will appreciate! - 03/28/08 02:26 AM
So anyways, n8ly, how do the carp get into these ponds?
Posted By: n8ly Re: Pictures Sunil will appreciate! - 03/28/08 12:01 PM
This was the first fee fishing lake in the USA early 1930's (supposedly?)
They would trap carp in the river just a few hundred yards away, bring them up into the 3 ponds and folks would come from all over the midwest to catch the Bugle Mouth Bass.

The closed down in the early 90's when the person running it finally passed away. Some carp have been in there for a long time!

Every single person that comes fishing wants to catch one of these prehistoric beasts! They start out fishing for trout, and completely switch over to carp before too long.

On a calm sunny day, I can see every fish in the whole trout pond, cause it is a gravel bottom with, only 6' max depth and very clear water. I estimate over 750 carp in the trout pond. There are tons of them, but they are not easy to hook, they will spit corn out of their mouth before you even see your line twitch.

I dont see why most folks strongly dislike these guys! They fight real hard, and a are a challenge to land from the beginning to the end!
Posted By: n8ly Re: Pictures Sunil will appreciate! - 03/28/08 12:07 PM
5' ugly stick with 4 lb test......2lb rainbow is fun! 8 lb common carp is a BLAST!

If I ever run out of carp (no one has taken any home yet for some reason???) I will definitely be stocking more.....If I can find a supplier.
Posted By: george1 Re: Pictures Sunil will appreciate! - 03/28/08 12:42 PM
5' ugly stick with 4 lb test......2lb rainbow is fun! 8 lb common carp is a BLAST!

If I ever run out of carp (no one has taken any home yet for some reason???) I will definitely be stocking more.....If I can find a supplier.

Nate, I guarantee with fly tackle, you will have the fight of your life on your hands if they are anything like grass carp.
Carp fishing with fly tackle is fast becoming a popular sport.
They are being called “freshwater bonefish” and attracting a large following.

Posted By: n8ly Re: Pictures Sunil will appreciate! - 03/28/08 12:54 PM
Nice Fish!

I am going to have to learn to flyfish, so I can teach others how to. I am teaching some kids how to fish today with zebcos.

How far is your place from the PB conference? Or better, maybe we could reserve some space at the conference for a little flycasting 101.
Posted By: george1 Re: Pictures Sunil will appreciate! - 03/28/08 01:17 PM
Nice Fish!

I am going to have to learn to flyfish, so I can teach others how to. I am teaching some kids how to fish today with zebcos.

How far is your place from the PB conference? Or better, maybe we could reserve some space at the conference for a little flycasting 101.

I've have brought up the subject with a couple of folks about "flycasting 101" at the upcomong PB conference, but hesitant to interfere with the pond stuff.
Depends on how many would be interested I guess?
Maybe after hours at Sunil's and Clint's hotel pond?
Posted By: n8ly Re: Pictures Sunil will appreciate! - 03/28/08 01:24 PM
George,
Isnt the whole concept of Pond Boss to help people find new ways to ultimately enjoy their pond to the fullest extent possible?
Learning to flyfish would definitely fall into that category. And I know I would stand in line to watch rookies swinging the flyrod back and forth. I think it would be fun!

Maybe overtons will bring us a few fish for practice at Sunil's hotel pond? He should probably start introducing them to small amounts of chlorine so they will be ready for introduction in July!
Posted By: george1 Re: Pictures Sunil will appreciate! - 03/28/08 02:09 PM
Nate, my thinking exactly...
Why not start a new thread and survey interested PB'ers?
I beieve I can get a certified fly casting instructor for demos and discussions about tackle and techniquues at beginner level or aa far as folks want to go.

Maybe Lusk would go for it?
George Glazener
Posted By: Rad Re: Pictures Sunil will appreciate! - 03/29/08 02:57 AM
My carp were unintentional and when I started to remove them, at about 2 pounds, found they were a lot of fun to catch. They are now running around 4#. The original unintentionals were all male and I thought that I had no worries about reproduction. There is a holiday here where people buy fish, frogs and turtles and release them back into the wild. Now I have carp families.
n8ly, if you have not yet done so, take a look at some of the carp web sites, there is a way to deal with the carp spitting out the bait. And if you and George do the flyfishing thing video it for those of us who attend only in our minds.
Posted By: n8ly Re: Pictures Sunil will appreciate! - 03/30/08 02:03 AM
I will definitely be researching carp, they are a lot smarter than most folks give them credit for.
Posted By: n8ly Re: Pictures Sunil will appreciate! - 11/05/08 04:04 AM
Yo Sunil,
Check out this Pic!

Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Pictures Sunil will appreciate! - 11/05/08 04:09 AM
Nice fish holding technique.

See how Nate can make one carp look like nine, by just sticking it out a little closer to the camera?
Posted By: Sunil Re: Pictures Sunil will appreciate! - 11/05/08 01:20 PM
Eeewwwwwwww!
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Pictures Sunil will appreciate! - 11/05/08 01:49 PM
 Originally Posted By: Sunil
Eeewwwwwwww!

Hardly. Now THIS is "Eeewwwwwwww!":

Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Pictures Sunil will appreciate! - 11/05/08 01:53 PM
Mmmm. Now that's good bass!
Posted By: n8ly Re: Pictures Sunil will appreciate! - 11/05/08 07:29 PM
Theo, that is disgusting!
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Pictures Sunil will appreciate! - 11/05/08 07:32 PM
You ought to view it on smellovision.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Pictures Sunil will appreciate! - 11/05/08 11:07 PM
For those of you that don't know, that is Condello when he was about 20 years old. The kid was plum crazy.
© Pond Boss Forum