Pond Boss
Posted By: John G. Temp Gage Question - 12/06/07 06:17 PM
Hey, can someone recomend a digital temp gage and possible a web site where I can order one. I would like to keep up with how cold my water temps get this winter. I want to put some talapia in my pond next spring. But, I want to make sure the water gets cold enough this winter to kill them. I do not want a reproducing population. So I figured I would keep up with water temps this winter. Thanks, John
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Temp Gage Question - 12/06/07 07:42 PM
Cabela's Minnkota Water Temp Sensor gives you water temp (probe on the end of a 20' wire), air temp, and the time ...

AND IT'S ON SALE FOR $8! (normally $20)

I just picked up my third one of these on sale as a spare. #1 has been in use for about 3 years and is still on it's first battery.
Posted By: John G. Re: Temp Gage Question - 12/10/07 02:02 PM
Hey, thanks that is exactly what I was looking for. I orderd one it should be here today. Thanks again, John
Posted By: J. E. Craig Re: Temp Gage Question - 12/10/07 04:06 PM
Last Winter, I kept track of my pond's temp, 3 acres in Orange Park, FL. Nothing formal, just threw out a pool thermometer with a sinker, float,& line to hold it two feet off the bottom, wait 5 minutes, pulled it in & read the temp. I never kept written records. I measured the temp 2-3 times a week late Dec 06 till Apr 07. My low was 60 degrees. It was not a cold winter for North FL. I suspect that there will be some winters that there will be a total die off & some not.
Posted By: John G. Re: Temp Gage Question - 12/11/07 01:36 AM
Thanks, J.E. that is kind of what I was thinking. I want to put some Tilapia in the pond but, I do not want to end up with too many if they make it a few years without a die off.
Posted By: J. E. Craig Re: Temp Gage Question - 12/12/07 09:05 PM

I would like to know how the Tilapia do in your pond. Thought they might help mine. Appears that this years weather will need to soon change drasticly to put Tilapia in danger this year. There are lakes & ponds just South of Gainesville,FL that now have Tilapia year round.
Posted By: John G. Re: Temp Gage Question - 12/13/07 02:26 PM
That is what I am afraid of. I use to live on the Ortega River and they spawn every year on the little canal I lived on. But,I am probaly going to try it in the spring. And I will be sure to report the out come.
Posted By: Matt Clark Re: Temp Gage Question - 12/13/07 07:47 PM
Wish I had that problem...I can get them from the local school, but they'll only have about 3.5 months of lifetime here.
Posted By: Weissguy Re: Temp Gage Question - 12/13/07 08:05 PM
That's a great deal on that temp sensor at Cabelas, but you might want to look at the reviews (linked below the picture on the product page). It doesn't hold up to weather very well, so if you are planning on leaving it outside, you might want to consider a different model.
© Pond Boss Forum