Pond Boss
Posted By: DonJovi Can a spring be covered? - 07/11/07 04:21 AM
I had a slow leak in my pond and with the water down due to lack of rain I have discovered I have a small spring. The wet area is about 1-3 feet wide and winds about 6 or 7 feet long until I can't see it anymore. My guess is once the pond is full the pressure is making the water flow back thru the spring.

My question is, can I cover this spring with something to relieve the pressure? I was thinking of some concrete, then maybe plastic or just repacking with clay. I am just not sure if I pack with clay I will not get enough over it to make t seal before it blows out again.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Donnie
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Can a spring be covered? - 07/11/07 12:33 PM
I think well-compacted clay would be the optimum material for packing it off.

What's your estimate of the flow rate? One of the PMs who have packed off wet spots may have an idea on how hard an operation it would be.
Posted By: DonJovi Re: Can a spring be covered? - 07/11/07 01:12 PM
Well when the pond is full it will stay full for a few days. Then once it starts droping I would guess it drops about an inch every two days. Right now it is holding water and not droping anymore, since it's past the spring.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Can a spring be covered? - 07/12/07 12:38 PM
That's enough of a loss I'd try packing it off with two feet of clay if it were mine.
Posted By: DonJovi Re: Can a spring be covered? - 07/12/07 07:39 PM
Thats the route I am probally going to go. I was just worried that the clay may get sucked back thru the spring, causing it to leak again.

Donnie
© Pond Boss Forum