Pond Boss

There are two of this size, and several smaller ones.
Looks like armadillo to me. Is there any in your area?
Have not seen any and there are no foot prints. I do have bullfrogs. Would they make these?
It could have been a turtle that was looking for a place to lay her eggs, usually the eggs are laid a little farther away from the pond though, but to me it kind of looks like an empty turtle nest that didn't get finished.

FYI - an occasional road killed armadillo can be found as far north as southern NE.
Crayfish make a hole like this, but mound up the excavated mud at the mouth of the hole shaped like a volcano. If it is a crayfish the volcano shaped mud has been disturbed. Crayfish do a very neat job of excavating. Did you kick the mud at all or is the photo exactly like you found it?
Here is a cut away view of a crayfish hole:

Here is another picture of a crayfish hole:

Another bigger hole

Crawdad hole

The last picture difintely looks like a crayfish hole. The other's look like something else. Crayfish holes are very good circles with a little mound. Maybe a coon or something was digging to get the crayfish in the first pic and dug it up.
That is what they looked like when I found them. I did find racoon tracks, but not around the holes.
Yep, I agree with Mike M. That is definetly a crayfish hole.
The dirt looks pretty wet in the pics, so maybe the racoon or armadillo tracks were washed out.
By the way the mud was knocked down, it looks like the coon or whatever it was was standing in the water or on the log. The critter cannot push the mud over in front of him. They will use a digging motion of dragging it back towards themselves. So at the time they were digging, I would assume they were in the water.
It might be a hole dug by a coon or coyote trying to dig a crayfish out of a hole like the last one you showed.
I agree with yall. Just a hungry Coon.

LRunkle what part Norman do you live?
crawdad
© Pond Boss Forum