Pond Boss
Posted By: dpender Now this is a hard way to lose BIG BASS!!! - 05/04/07 01:35 PM
In the passed several months I have lost a 10.5,
9 and 7 pounder because they have choked on bream that would not go down. The 9 lb. had a babby goose in his stomach and I guessing that is what killed him. This just seems like a very high number all of a sudden. I have found others over the years but not so many in such a short time. They eat the geese babies each year but this is the first one I have found that has died as a result. My question is, have any of you had this occur with this regularity? I know there is nothing you can do, just wondering.
Posted By: Tom F Re: Now this is a hard way to lose BIG BASS!!! - 05/04/07 02:58 PM
If you have little ones or grandkids I sure wouldn't let them in that pond.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Now this is a hard way to lose BIG BASS!!! - 05/04/07 03:01 PM
Maybe the age of the larger LMB has something to do with it???
Or you need more of appropriate sized BG for the bass to eat. Have you checked by seining or trapping to see if you have a good supply of size forage for them? How big were the BG that killed them? Do you have a good supply of small bass? What size is the pond? You're doing things right to have those hawgs in there. Tell us more.
The pond is 5 ac. and have plenty of forage. Bluegills of all sizes as well as threadfin shad.
Greg shocked last year and all is in good order.
The LMB are extreemly hard to catch so I think they have mostly Florida genetics. I have even had 2 choke on turtles over the years. It is very common for the larger bass to hit large bream and 12" bass as the are being reeled in.
I have never used live bream as bait, but the day I decide to, I have no doubt a lake record will be set.
I will try to get some pictures next time one tries to bite more than it can swallow. You will not believe the size of these bream they are trying to swallow.
P.S. these are not old LMB's. Their mouth is very small compared to their body size.
Now that IS discouraging, when they will eat turtles, but have little appetite for a
'brush hog' looking just like a....? or other plastic offering.
Many people feel your pain, I'm sure. Sounds as though you have done a fantastic managing job. Congrats!
Wow, Dp, sounds like you have a terrific pond. I realize that it must be discouraging seeing such large fish die but I guess the good news is that you have fish that large in your pond.

Post some photos of the pond if ya got them (and of any big fish you catch). We like photos.
© Pond Boss Forum