Pond Boss
Posted By: Keith Wolfe How do these look - 04/17/07 01:56 PM
I think 1 had kinda a big eye. went fishing for a while last night and got got these, threw them back. I had stocked adults. Algae bloom is in full swing with tufts floating around and a greenish powder type stuff on top of the water.

Posted By: ewest Re: How do these look - 04/17/07 03:54 PM
Kieth what did you stock and when ?
Posted By: LBuck Re: How do these look - 04/17/07 04:17 PM
2nd from the top looks like a hybrid to me.
Posted By: joerocker Re: How do these look - 04/17/07 04:31 PM
And here I though someone was showing off their wifes new cosmetic surgery job...

I'm getting my fish next week...I hope they grow up quickly and I too can do some fishing next year.

How old are they?
Posted By: burgermeister Re: How do these look - 04/17/07 05:12 PM
I was thinking they were all hybrids. 2nd, defin itely and 4th possibly.
Posted By: Keith Wolfe Re: How do these look - 04/17/07 05:23 PM
I stocked adults from a local pond so there may be a few stunted. The pond is roughly 1/5 acre or so, not exactly sure. 80-100ft diameter circle depending on water level and 12 ft deep in the middle of the pit. Out of 200(maybe more with all the little yoy) fish added of all different sizes, I'd say 100 were over 5 inches and I'd say there are 10 that are over eight inches. I'd say the percentages are 80% cnbg, 10% green, 5% pumkinseed, and 5% hybrid of some type. I also added about 150 gams this last weekend. The pond filled over the winter and I fertilized and added the sunfish just about a month ago. The algae is blooming. I planted grasses and grains around the pond and that is growing well. I have my light setup but still lack my solar components and timer. I used my husky 4oo watt inverter for light last night and it worked like a champ and brought the bugs just fine. I will want to add bass for population management but want to manage for sunfish. When should I add the bass? How big? How many? I want big sunfish of all different types. Also, The algae looks like it is blooming like crazy. I threw a rooster tail and a jig for a while and was getting a little fa each catsh so I switched to bait. Its not like matted across the water but like I said, there are fist sized tufts floating around and green film on top of water. I wondered if that was pollen????
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: How do these look - 04/17/07 05:28 PM
KW - My exerience tells me that 1&2 are hybrids of some sort and 3&4 appear pure bluegill of some strain (regional differences); No3 is in transition to mature male and No4 will be a female.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: How do these look - 04/17/07 06:37 PM
I thought #1 had some kind of GSF look to him as well, Bill, but I can't quite define it. #2 has the classic HBG gill striations and lightened fin edges.

To answer the original question - they look like fun!
Posted By: bobad Re: How do these look - 04/17/07 09:40 PM
Really hard to tell with the angles and light and all, but #1,2,3 look pretty full. #4 looks a tad thinner.
Posted By: Keith Wolfe Re: How do these look - 04/17/07 09:55 PM
does it sound like the algae is going out of controll?
© Pond Boss Forum