Pond Boss
Posted By: bobad Building a Pond the Hard Way - 03/13/07 12:07 PM
I have had little time to post about my pond during the construction phase. Now that the pond is finished and partially stocked, I can make up for lost time. This will be a brief summary of all phases of my pond's design and construction. I'll be making daily installments for about a week, keeping it as short as I can. I welcome, no, BEG, any critique or questions. Thanks to everyone for the tremendous amount of knowledge I have gained from this forum. It's priceless!

Building a Pond the Hard Way

I've always loved to fish, and always wanted my own pond. I have fished in the ponds of friends and relatives since I can remember. While fishing, I dreamed that some day I would have a pond of my own. I married a wonderful lady that likes to fish as much as I do. Just to show you how much we like to fish, we used to meet after work, both dog-tired, and drive to a hole and fish until dark. I promised her years ago that I would try my best to build us a pond some day. The years passed, and the opportunity didn't materialize nearly as soon as I would have liked. My chance finally came in 2002, and I went for broke, almost literally. I saw an ad in the paper for 10 acres of land about 5 miles down the road, and we took the plunge. Our resources were limited, so we braced ourselves for a long, drawn out ordeal.

Next installment, "The Land".
Posted By: wickedinhere Re: Building a Pond the Hard Way - 03/13/07 12:27 PM
I can hardly wait. Make sure you have pictures to go
with the updates. LOL
looking forward to hearing the story bobad......since it is already done, we can have a lot of fun with "what'd you do that fer?" and "i told ya so" \:D

but i'm sure with the background help of this forum along the way, you created a slice of well engineered heaven.
Posted By: bobad Re: Building a Pond the Hard Way - 03/13/07 04:56 PM
 Quote:
Originally posted by dave in el dorado ca:
[QB] since it is already done, we can have a lot of fun with "what'd you do that fer?" and "i told ya so"
Hahaha! Go ahead Dave! Play whack-a-mole with poor old bobad! I'm not worried, because my noggin is plenty hard! \:D

There will be plenty of opportunities to laugh at my mistakes, bacause I'm sure I made plenty.
Posted By: ewest Re: Building a Pond the Hard Way - 03/13/07 05:23 PM
I think we all have. Remember that around here if you haven't killed a 100,000 fish through mistakes you are just getting started. \:D
Posted By: bobad Re: Building a Pond the Hard Way - 03/13/07 07:03 PM
 Quote:
Originally posted by ewest:
Remember that around here if you haven't killed a 100,000 fish through mistakes you are just getting started.
GULP!!!

It's bad enough that anything I touch is in mortal danger. It's a scary thought that my mistakes can be further compounded by Mother Nature.
Posted By: Russ Re: Building a Pond the Hard Way - 03/14/07 10:06 AM
"I married a wonderful lady that likes to fish as much as I do. Just to show you how much we like to fish, we used to meet after work, both dog-tired, and drive to a hole and fish until dark."

After reading that, I'd say you're off to a pretty good start Bobad! Can't wait to read the whole story.
Posted By: bobad Re: Building a Pond the Hard Way - 03/14/07 11:01 AM
The Land

The 10 acre parcel is located in a rural community called Pa-ta-sa. Ironically, it's a name meaning "white perch", which is a local name for "crappie". The land was badly overgrown with Chinese tallow trees. The locals call them "chicken trees", and they are an invasive alien species. I hired a small dozer for 2 days to uproot and pile the trees into windrows. The 16 hours of dozer work cleared 7 acres, and cost $1500. I bought a small 29hp 4wd tractor, with 5' loader, 5' bush hog, and 5-1/2" disk harrow. I paid 16K for the whole kit, all brand new. I bought a metal building to store the tractor and implements. It cost me about $3500, plus the slab. It took me, the wife, and my #2 son almost 2 weeks to build it. Me and my son built the form for the slab. Some good friends helped me finish the concrete, so the slab cost me only for the concrete and form lumber.

We chipped away at the 7 cleared acres for 3-4 weeks. We tightened up the wood piles and burned them all to ashes. We picked up all the cans, glass, bricks, and remaining sticks. There really wasn't much trash, but we wanted the land spotless. We filled every rut and stump hole. We built up roads, using the ashes and brick-hard dirt from the burned root balls. We planted bermudagrass on the roads. In short, we made a clean slate from which to start our pond.

The land is an old rice field. It's low, and flat as a pancake. It's surrounded by levees that average about 16" high. The property is surrounded by ditches on 3 sides. The ditch on the South side is a fairly deep gully, and it flows clear water for 2-3 days after each rain. The gully has resident minnows, GSF, bullheads, and a few other critters. My first instinct was to remove all the levee's surrounding the land, in order for it to drain nicely when it rains. Instead, I got the nutty idea to leave the levee's in place, repair them, and gently contour the land to drain toward the pond site. My idea was to not waste a drop of water. That was prompted by the very dry summers we have had in recent years. I'm glad I did it that way.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention my neighbors in Pa-ta-sa. They have all been very nice, friendly, and helpful from day 1. When I go and work, it seems that at least 1 of them shows up to chat. They keep an eye on my place for me, and have called me several times for suspicious activity. They have been priceless, and have a standing invitition to fish.

Next installment, "The Pond Site".
Posted By: Brettski Re: Building a Pond the Hard Way - 03/14/07 11:09 AM
Great story so far! I can relate. Any chance of pics?
...keep it coming, Bobad.
Posted By: bobad Re: Building a Pond the Hard Way - 03/14/07 12:07 PM
 Quote:
Originally posted by Brettski:
I can relate. Any chance of pics?
...keep it coming, Bobad.
Thanks Brettski. Posters like you and Jersey inspired me to keep plugging away when things weren't going so well.

I do have a few pics, and will post them. I need to take some pictures of my giant dirt piles. Ground level pictures probably won't do them justice, so I'll have to bum a ride in my friend's Cessna.
Posted By: bobad Re: Building a Pond the Hard Way - 03/14/07 01:39 PM

Just started here. Lot of work, just a few inches deep.

The levee is over 450' long, but doesn't look it. It will end up a bit wider and higher.

My No.2 son on the little TC35. When the topsoil ran out, I parked my little tractor.

There! This works much better! You can tell by the grin.

This works even better.

And better still

Don't be fooled. It took me 3 days to siphon and pump out all that water.

Future Ponders. They love my tractor shed and tractor.
great set of pics bobad.

couple questions come to mind....

what kind of soils do you have? looks like they have no trouble holding water.

what are the average pond depths?

the levees dont look compacted. did you core trench any of the levees or was that even a necessity?

what kind of spillway or emergency drain release do you have for big storm events?

hard (fish) structure plans? mounds, channels?

keep the story comin!
Posted By: eddie_walker Re: Building a Pond the Hard Way - 03/14/07 05:27 PM
Bob,

Just found this thread and I'm looking forward to reading about your pond adventure. You've been very helpful in my posts on this, and the other site, and I've always wondered about your pond.

Keep up the pictures, they're they're amazing.

Eddie
Posted By: bobad Re: Building a Pond the Hard Way - 03/14/07 05:32 PM
great set of pics bobad.

Thanks Dave! I try to please. \:\)

what kind of soils do you have? looks like they have no trouble holding water.

The topsoil was very deep in that old rice field. I had rich topsoil to around the 2 foot mark. At that point, it was a mixture of soft yellow clay and silt, and/or really sticky red clay. The deeper I went, the less red clay and the more yellow mix I ran into. The fine-textured soil around here holds water very well. However, it gets scary digging in excess of 8 feet, because you can hit sand. I suspect 1 of my neighbor's ponds leaks, and I've heard of several more in the general area that leak. So I was chicken to go beyond 8'. With no rain for the past 3 weeks, my pond level has dropped about 1 inch. That probably means almost zero seepage.

what are the average pond depths?

I would say 4 feet, but that may be misleading. I have a lot of shallow areas that will be weed beds... habitat for forage species. I have an 8 foot hole, and a couple of pretty big 6 foot areas. I have 3 or 4 large areas that are 5 feet.

the levees dont look compacted. did you core trench any of the levees or was that even a necessity?

The levees are brand new in those pictures. I eventually powdered them up so fine that they compacted brick hard after the first big rains. The levees are not a worry at all, because they are above the normal water level. Their purpose is to keep bullhead-bearing flood water out, not pond water in. I had a huge rain one winter that barely topped the levees, and they held fine. The water is too shallow to create any significant pressure.

what kind of spillway or emergency drain release do you have for big storm events?

I have a 10" pipe running under the pond levee. In the event the pond rises above the original ground level, I will open it up. If unusually hard rains overwhelm the 10" pipe's capacity, the entire levee will act as a grassy, emergency spillway.

hard (fish) structure plans? mounds, channels?

I drew no plans. I have 2 large channels and a couple of low ridges. Darn I wish I would have taken pictures of the finished pond bottom. I procrastinated just a day or 2, and the rains came. It rained so much it covered the bottom with 3 feet of soupy brown water.

I intend to make some floating stickups with 3/4" polyethylene pipe. I'll cut them 3' long, stuff a plug of clay in 1 end, a plug of Styrofoam in the other. I'll try an 8'x8' area of stickups. If they work, I'll make a couple of more. I'll probably do that little project this winter.

keep the story comin!

You betcha! I have about 4-5 more installments!
Posted By: ewest Re: Building a Pond the Hard Way - 03/15/07 01:23 AM
Bob will you use any aeration or other system to keep the pond from having " a to shallow thermocline" ?
Posted By: bobad Re: Building a Pond the Hard Way - 03/15/07 10:51 AM
 Quote:
Originally posted by ewest:
Bob will you use any aeration or other system to keep the pond from having " a to shallow thermocline" ?
ewest,

That's a good question, and one of the nagging worries that I have.

Aeration is not very common in my area, so I went into this project assuming I could get by without it. In fact, I don't even have electricity at my land. If I run into difficulties, I will first try a non-mechanical approach to remedy it. If it comes down to choices, I will probably aerate or circulate. Solar aeration is brutally expensive, but I think a solar circulation scheme would be simple and fairly cheap.
Posted By: bobad Re: Building a Pond the Hard Way - 03/15/07 11:45 AM
The Pond Site

I decided to dig the pond in the NE corner of the land. I left a 36' margin between the pond and the 2 adjacent ditches on the perimeter of the land. I think... I hope that will be wide enough to not worry about critters and tree roots causing leaks. I stepped off 400'x150', using my longest stride. I later measured my stride, and it was an inch or 2 more than a yard. Because of the longer stride, the 400' length may be as much as 450', and the width may be as much as 160'. That should make my pond at least 1.5 acres, more or less. Some day I'll measure it accurately with a 100' tape.

I prepared for the digging phase by mowing the grass and weeds as short as possible. It was early March, and the mowing was tough because the ground was pretty muddy. After mowing, I allowed the ground to dry a couple of days, then busted it up with the disk harrow. After another day or 2 of drying, I busted it up once more. I then began to scoop up the fine dirt and build up the levees. The levees started out around 2 feet high, 10' wide, with a margin of 2 feet from the banks of the pond. The finely powdered dirt eventually settled out to about 16" high and 12' wide. It took me 2-3 weeks of long days to finish the levees. I sewed a mixture of bermuda and centipede grass, and the levees now look just great when freshly mowed. The reason for the levees is to prevent the pond from being flooded after heavy rains. I have seen in excess of 6" of floodwater where the pond is located. I can imagine all the bullheads and maybe even carp in that water, not to mention bream of questionable lineage. I must avoid the floodwater co-mingling with the pond at all costs. Among the reasons for locating the pond in the NE corner is the nearby gully. If we ever have a severe dry spell, the gully could be a lifesaver. It only takes 1/2" of rain to make it flow briskly, so it's a valuable water source from which to pump. I think water could be pumped 48 hours straight from a 1/2" rain. That's not a tivial amount when the pond is seriously low. The gully also gives me enough depth to siphon out the pond. It would prove to be very useful in the rainy season.

Next installment: "Digging, Digging, Digging".
Posted By: bobad Re: Building a Pond the Hard Way - 03/16/07 11:31 AM
Digging, Digging, Digging

My plan was originally to hire an excavator and dump trucks, but all the big purchases ran me low on money. I got bids from 2 contractors, and both were over 20K. So, I would now have to save my pennies for another 2 or 3 years, or chip away at it on the cheap somehow. I soon learned that I could not stand to wait it out. I put the word out to my neighbors that I had all the free dirt they could ever use. I ran an ad in the local paper. I called 2 contractors to look at my site as a dirt source. They said they could use the dirt, but they were afraid to damage the Parish (County) road on which my pond is located. They would have been required to post a bond, and if the roads were damaged, they would have to forfeit the bond to pay for repairs. Well, that was a shock, and would prove to be a real handicap. With that development, either the dirt would have to be hauled out 5-10 yards at a time, or I would have to pile it up on my property. Several of the neighbors showed up with flat bed trailers, borrowed or rented dump trailers, and small tractors. When they learned how brutal it was on their equipment, most of them quit after a day or 2. Most had a tendency to overload their trailers, and 3 that I know of actually broke down. For the next 2 years, things went very slowly. After the initial enthusiasm, the neighbors dug and hauled very little during this time. My little tractor's progress was painfully slow, and I limited its use to digging and stockpiling only good topsoil. I got a good offer for the 29hp tractor and implements, which were paid for by now. I sold it and bought a little bigger replacement. I got a 35hp, complete with a 6' loader bucket and 6' bush hog. It didn't help the digging and hauling very much, but the 6 foot bush hog was a pleasant surprise. The rain, although infrequent in the warm months, was a nasty problem. It really slowed me down until I managed to get the pond sloped toward a deep sump near one corner. I bought a 2", 4hp gasoline trash pump to keep it pumped out. When it rained 1" , it took about a day of pumping to empty it out. It took only a day or 2 of drying before it was dry enough to work, year around. My property was another matter. All the trailers and tractors almost ruined my grass roads, and killed lots of the grass I had sewn on the levees. Someone ran over my pump inlet hose, and that slowed down the pumping. It seemed that nothing was going my way, and I became discouraged. I honestly considered quitting, and selling out. My wife wouldn't hear of it. She said if I gave up, I would regret it the rest of my days. I think she was right.

Next installemnt, "Prayers Answered"
Posted By: Dwight Re: Building a Pond the Hard Way - 03/16/07 12:40 PM
I am enjoying your story and I am anticipating the next installment!
Posted By: bobad Re: Building a Pond the Hard Way - 03/16/07 02:15 PM
 Quote:
Originally posted by Dwight:
I am enjoying your story and I am anticipating the next installment!
Thanks Dwight!

Tomorrow's installment is too weird to be made up.

the anxious crowd wants more!!
Posted By: bobad Re: Building a Pond the Hard Way - 03/16/07 04:16 PM
Dave, I can't decide whether that's an ugly man with normal teeth or a normal frog with ugly teeth! \:\)

Hey, I went to a friend's lake yesterday and dip netted ~150 ghost shrimp! About 1/3 of them were carrying eggs! Wooo hooo! Now I'll have a super forage base!

About 200 gams and a few other critters found their way into my net too. That puts me over 600 gams total, and that should be enough.

Wish I could have counted everything accurately, but counting ghost shrimp is like herding cats. You almost have to kill them to count them. They pop all over the place, and are almost invisible at times. The gams were stressed, and I got about a dozen floaters. So I didn't count them either.
Posted By: Dwight Re: Building a Pond the Hard Way - 03/17/07 03:38 AM
Bob - According to Bighead Sally and the Furhead-WC your cat herding analogy is wrong, just plain wrong. \:\( :rolleyes:

Herding badgers with a snake and a couple mushrooms is far more difficult! :p
Posted By: bobad Re: Building a Pond the Hard Way - 03/17/07 11:22 AM
Dwight,

What was that? It was totally hypnotic. God, that song is stuck in my head now! It's worse than getting an REO Speedwagon tune stuck in your head!

I own a pair of lap-sitting FHWC's. (if they really can be owned). I'm living proof that cats really are smart enough to train. They trained me to perfection!
Posted By: bobad Re: Building a Pond the Hard Way - 03/17/07 12:12 PM
Prayers Answered

Things did not go my way in 2004-2005. Some days I felt optimistic, because that is my nature. Most of the time, I felt I would never finish the pond. Long hours in the hot sun, and eating dust by the pound resulted in little progress. My neighbors had more than enough of my fabulous free dirt. Just when I was about to put the project on hold, my prayers were answered. One night I got a call from a fellow that was interested in the free dirt. Since he had no equipment, I sort of blew him off, thinking it was just talk. He kept pestering me with long telephone conversations. He said he would buy a big tractor and dump trailer so he could dig and haul dirt to his dad's land, and to a building site for a new church. Yea, right. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

To my amazement and delight, he did exactly what he said. He bought the biggest model 4WD Kubota, an MX125, with a 1 yard loader. He also bought a Big Tex dump trailer capable of hauling 10 yards of dirt. The tractor had 7 hours on it when he parked it on my land. He threw me the keys, and said "If you will load the trailer, I will haul and dump the dirt". I was simply stunned. Needless to say, things were looking up, and I set to work with renewed hope. The big tractor was a delight to drive, with A/C and a Kenwood stereo to listen to talk radio.

I would plow up the dirt to a depth of ~5" with my little tractor, then push it up in piles with the big Kubota. When I had a few 20 yard piles, we would load up the dump trailer, and my friend would haul it to the church building site. He has a GMC duelie pickup truck, and has a 100 gallon diesel fueling station on board. He kept the big tractor's tank topped off. He offered to fill up my own tractor, and even my diesel drum. I always refused. Strangely, my new friend began to be more interested in the pond than the dirt. Hmmmm... what's that about? Oh well. Lets just dig, and not worry about anything else.

As the weeks passed, the pond was going too slowly to suit my friend. He asked me about a more efficient way to dig, and speed up the job. I jokingly said a dozer and a dump truck would be nice. He said he would look for some good used ones. He wanted to know if anything else would help in the meantime. I told him maybe an earth mover. He called me 1 night and said he bought a used 2 yard earth mover. Now my head was really spinning, because I didn't understand his motives. Oh well! We spent a week fixing up the hydraulics on ratty old earth mover, and I set to work again. We welded a back board on the earth mover, so it would hold about 3 yards. That piece could really move some dirt! I think I was digging and hauling over 250 yards a day. Problem is, I was running out of places to pile up all the dirt. The piles were getting taller and steeper every day, and getting scary to climb with the tractor and earth mover. Being a flatlander, I sometimes I got a little dizzy when I looked down from the top of the mounds. The mounds of dirt made my previously neat, green property look awful, but I could live with that. I can see some interesting bike trails in my future.

My friend decided against a dump truck, because of outrageous insurance costs, and was afraid of getting stuck on my soggy land. But he did find a nice used dozer. He bought a 90hp JD 650H. The undercarriage had recently been rebuilt, and was listed as 100%. The dealer delivered it to my land, and threw me the keys. Again, my head was spinning. Why?

That dozer could dig some serious dirt, and I worked it 8-10 hours a day. I could push up a 20 yard dirt pile lickety split, and make the depth of the pond change noticeably in a few hours. The dozer burned about $120 a day in fuel, at no cost to me. Long story short, between the earth mover and dozer, the pond was finished on or about Dec 16th, 2006. Thanks to Eddie Walker for some nice pointers on carrying dirt efficiently. Incidentally, that dozer is on my land to this day. I'm flattening out the steep dirt piles as they dry out.

Why did a total stranger donate equipment and fuel, just to pile up worthless dirt? He kept giving me vague reasons like "Because I might need the dirt later", "Because I want you to have a pond", or "Because I like to help people". After months of needling, he finally fessed up: His 83 year old dad, who is a wealthy retired farmer, always wanted a pond. He loves to fish, but was so immersed in farming that he never had time. He was the one behind the equipment purchases, and the free fuel. Thanks old partner. Now you have a pond, and a lifetime place to fish. I will never be able to repay him, so I will bait his hook and clean his fish for him if that's all I can do. He is a wonderful old guy, and a WW II vet... which merits you free coffee and fishing rights at my place any time.

Next installment, "An 'Unusual' Pond Design"
Posted By: Rad Re: Building a Pond the Hard Way - 03/17/07 12:45 PM
You gotta go to bolucky or bofortunate or maybe nice guys do finish.

Nice story and like everybody else, I am awaiting the next chapter.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Building a Pond the Hard Way - 03/17/07 12:50 PM
Now, that's neat.
Posted By: ewest Re: Building a Pond the Hard Way - 03/17/07 01:12 PM
Nice people do finish first and get the reward they deserve at the appointed time. \:\) They also enjoy a different type of reward along the way - the smiles of happy people and the feeling of I made a difference. The surprise is just how many times over the gift is reciprocated to the giver and others along the way. Proof -- see Bob's last 4 sentences.

Nice touch Bob !! \:\)
Posted By: george Re: Building a Pond the Hard Way - 03/17/07 01:12 PM
bobad, Great story. \:\)
I look forward to meeting you at the PB conference – I want to shake your hand. Coffee’s on me.
I truly believe in prayers being answered.
George Glazener
Posted By: eddie_walker Re: Building a Pond the Hard Way - 03/17/07 01:38 PM
Bob,

Great story!!! Nice to finally read all the details and see what it took to make happen. From your previous posts, and knowing what equipment you had there, I always figured "you" were the excentric millionare. LOL

Now it's turned out that you're just a nice guy and life has paid you back. Congratulations.

Eddie
Posted By: bobad Re: Building a Pond the Hard Way - 03/17/07 02:27 PM
Eric, Dave, Rad, Thank you!

Hey Eddie,

Thanks for the kind words. I always thought it was better to be rich than nice. Now I'll have to re-think that. Nah, rich. \:D

George,

If my prayers were answered, I think they were answered on behalf of my wife. If anyone deserves a break, it's her. She works a 9-5 job and has still been right by my side through the whole ordeal. She has become a pretty decent hand at using a front end loader. Now, she smiles and asks me "When are we going fishing?".

I forgot to mention that my next installment will be 'An Unusual Pond Design'" I hope it confuses you guys as much as it does me. ;\)
Posted By: rmedgar Re: Building a Pond the Hard Way - 03/17/07 02:29 PM
I don't know about anyone else, but I got a little "misty". Great story!!!
Posted By: bobad Re: Building a Pond the Hard Way - 03/17/07 03:28 PM
 Quote:
Originally posted by rmedgar:
I don't know about anyone else, but I got a little "misty".
Me too. He's really a sweet old guy. He's donating lots of money to charities since he retired. He's driven chevy pickup trucks all his life. His son convinced him to treat himself to an Escalade. He loves it and grins from ear to ear when riding in it. We enjoy watching him enjoying himself. I drove it to the next town for him and dropped it off at the dealer for servicing. That's 1 payback down, 999,999,999 to go!
Posted By: bobad Re: Building a Pond the Hard Way - 03/18/07 12:45 PM
An "Unusual" Pond Design

One benefit of taking the slow, hard route to building a pond is that you have plenty of time for planning. My pond has a few unusual features, in my experience anyway. It's really a 1.5a pond (I will refer to it as "the pond") within a 10a pond (I will refer to it as "the land"). The land slopes very gently toward the pond, to avoid wasting a drop of water. Much of my neighbor's land to the West also drains into my property. I guess there's at least 6-8 acres there, but I can't tell exactly how much of it drains into my land.

The land is surrounded by a by an old 16" high levee, and I built a small spillway that is 5-6" lower than the rest of the levee. Of course I had to lay an inlet pipe underneath the pond levee to collect the runoff. I wanted 12" PVC pipe, but found some used 10" for $1 a foot. I buried 40' of it under the levee at the very lowest spot on the land... the collection point for all the runoff. Now, how do I keep trash fish out when it floods? I needed a "fish filter" of some kind. I solved this by digging a 4' diameter, 4' deep sump hole at the end of the 10" inlet pipe. I plastered the walls and bottom of the sump hole with brick mortar to prevent it from washing out. I placed a plastic drum, which was cut in half, down in the sump. I had already cut a 10" hole into the half-drum to accept the 10" pipe. I drilled 100's of 3/4" holes into the plastic drum for the water to flow into the 10" pipe. Then I filled the sump hole with limestone gravel, completely covering the drum to a depth of about a foot. The pond's "full mark" is flush with the original grade of the land, as with any normal dug pond. When the pond is full, runoff water will no longer run into it. In fact, it could possibly even flow backward. No problem, the fish are blocked from escaping by the gravel filter. The effect of all the above is that my ponds has a spillway, but it's over 200' from the pond. Since the pond's "full mark" is at my land's original grade, and my land is surrounded by a levee, how do I prevent the land from always being flooded? My solution was to run a small pipe under the spillway at the land's original grade. I used a 4" PVC pipe, which is intentionally too small to drain the land quickly.

When the pond is full, all the runoff exits over the spillway or under it, through the little 4" pipe. If the pond needs water, I simply put a stopper into the 4" pipe. When the pond is full, the stopper is removed, so the land will drain quickly. I also have a provision for "over filling" the pond. I simply put a big stopper into the pond side of the 10" inlet pipe. If I get huge rains, I could theoretically fill the pond up to the top of the 16" pond levee. Whether or not I will allow it to fill that much is still undecided. My "stoppers" will be replaced with float operated valves some day, so everything will work automatically, more or less.

As mentioned earlier, there is a relatively deep gully running along the East side of my pond. In the event of a severe dry spell, I can pump water from it into my pond. As I mentioned, any sizable rain causes the gully to flow for 2 days or more. I know that pumping from a gully sounds like a risky practice, but there are 2 safeguards. The first safeguard is distance. The pumped water would have to flow nearly 1000 feet over a very shallow, grassy road before entering the pond. I intend to spread 3 or 4" of sand in the roadbed as funds become available, further filtering the emergency water. The gully water would finally enter the pond through the aforementioned limestone gravel bed. Since the gully completely dries up in 2 or 3 weeks during the summer, I don't think there will be any unwanted fish eggs to worry about. Even if I did pick up a few fish eggs, I think it's highly unlikely that they could make it through that gauntlet.

Next Installemnt, "Fill 'er Up!"
Posted By: Dwight Re: Building a Pond the Hard Way - 03/18/07 02:00 PM
Bob – Your “Pond Chronicles” are very nicely done. I can see that you put a lot of thought into your pond as well as documenting everything to share here.

I hope “Badger Badger Badger” hasn’t gotten the best of you!
Posted By: bobad Re: Building a Pond the Hard Way - 03/18/07 03:56 PM
 Quote:
Originally posted by Dwight:
I hope “Badger Badger Badger” hasn’t gotten the best of you!
It was devastating. It turned my brain to mush. Or maybe it was that "Theatre of the Absurd" thread. \:\)
Posted By: bobad Re: Building a Pond the Hard Way - 03/19/07 01:50 PM
Fill 'er Up!

I finished the pond on or about Dec 16th, 2006. Shortly thereafter, the rains came. And I do mean rain! Of course I was right out in the rain, checking to see whether my ditches and pipes, and the overall scheme, were accurate and working. Among my worries were, how much would the limestone gravel filter bed slow down the inflow? Would it waste water? Since I didn't have a real anti-seep collar, would the trench for the 10" pipe leak or wash out? Would the land flood and wash out my perimeter levees? Was everything sloped true, or would there be huge water puddles on the land?

My next visit to the completed pond was just after a fast 4" rain. The land was flooded pretty badly. A quick look revealed that all my features were overwhelmed, yet functioning. I waded into ankle-deep water to have a look at the filter bed. The filter bed was totally submerged in the muddy water, and there was a 2' diameter whirlpool of water above it. I can't tell you how exciting it was to see the water sucking down into the filter bed. It was working ! I could hear the sound of water rushing into the pond, so I slogged my way across the levee to see it close up. The inlet pipe was absolutely gushing muddy water. The pond had over a foot of water in it, and looked absolutely horrible, just as I expected. It was beautiful!

I walked 100 yards to the land's little "spillway", where the runoff water had topped it. I uncorked the 4" pipe to help relieve some of the water flowing over the spillway, and help prevent it from washing out any worse. After an hour of watching and doing some minor shovel work, the water had subsided below the top of the spillway. I re-corked the 4" pipe so the pond would get all of the remaining runoff. During the 90 minutes I worked in the drizzle, the pond had risen another foot. The 10" pipe moved more water than I thought. I returned the next day, and the pond had about 3' of water. A nice little stream of water was still flowing into the gravel filter, which was not even slowing it down. With a few minor adjustments to the spillway height, everything was working as planned. I was delighted, and all the work now seemed more than worth it.

Subsequent heavy rains filled the pond to the "full" mark by late January. I removed the cork from the 4" pipe, and corked the 10" pipe on the pond side. More rains filled the pond an inch or 2 over full, which is good insurance against a dry spell. By now the pond water had settled down from "soupy" to a more normal looking "muddy". I'm encouraged that it will clear up some day. I have added 500# of lime, 200# of gypsum, 16# of alum, and a gallon of sulphuric acid. So far, there are no signs of clearing. My nursery lady has more alum on order. I will slowly add alum just until I notice a very slight clearing, then stop to avoid an unnecessary Ph drop. My theory is that if you add enough alum to cause overnight clearing, that you have added a lot more alum than necessary. I will allow the last bit of clearing to occur naturally, or not at all. I will add more lime as I can afford it, if necessary.

Next installment: "My Goals"
 Quote:
Originally posted by bobad:
Fill 'er Up!

...........The inlet pipe was absolutely gushing muddy water. The pond had over a foot of water in it, and looked absolutely horrible, just as I expected. It was beautiful! .............
a quote for the ages.........boy, i was away from checkin in for a couple days and did your story ever blossom......great stuff bobad, what an amazing thing to have stumbled into a benefactor, that was really neat!
Posted By: bobad Re: Building a Pond the Hard Way - 03/20/07 12:30 PM
My Goals

Are simple really: To have a productive pond, with decent size fish that can be fished year around. My approach will be to try and reproduce the conditions of the better ponds and lakes I have fished over the years. I have noticed a few common denominators. Among the most important appears to be plentiful and diverse prey species. The liveliest ponds I have fished seemed to have at least some shallows, and plenty of cover for the minnows, mollusks, tadpoles, and insects. I'm hoping for 20-25% weeds and grass, and have built shallow areas for them to take hold. I guess it will be a fine balancing act between having enough cover and too much cover for the prey species. My goal is also to have a "low maintenance" pond. I am hoping that I will not need to aerate, fertilize, feed, or re-stock. Of course I will do so if absolutely necessary, if only on a temporary basis. Fishing wise, healthy pan fish are my main goal. I will sacrifice a bit of quantity for quality. I will doubtless need to be bass-heavy to control the BCrappie, and will catch and release all the biggest ones if necessary. It's possible that I may wind up with a few trophy sized bass, and an occasional big RES, but probably nothing else above average. It will certainly be interesting to observe, learn, and see what develops. If something gets out of balance, I will try to re-balance it with corrective fishing.

Of course the over riding goal is to have a nice place to fish and relax. When the fish aren't biting, it gives a person more time to think and relax, and simply enjoy the country. So, the pond will be a retreat as well as a fishing hole. I am learning from others on the Pond Boss forum that ponds quickly become a hobby. I am trying to avoid that, but I am hearing that resistance is futile. \:\)

Next installment: "Fish In!"

And that's the end, I promise!
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Building a Pond the Hard Way - 03/20/07 01:08 PM
 Quote:
Of course the over riding goal is to have a nice place to fish and relax. When the fish aren't biting, it gives a person more time to think and relax, and simply enjoy the country. So, the pond will be a retreat as well as a fishing hole. I am learning from others on the Pond Boss forum that ponds quickly become a hobby. I am trying to avoid that, but I am hearing that resistance is futile. \:\)
Wow, my internet was down for several days and an entire epic saga has been posted. Bobad you truly have a way with words. After I got my internet back on line (bad cable modem that took a while to diagnose) I found your posts and read them from the beginning. With your relaxing, friendly writing style I felt like I was right there with you.

I believe that your goals for the pond are the same as most everyone here. Every time I am able to go to my property I am stunned by several things. First I easily forget how beautiful and serene nature can be, the sound of the trees wispering in the wind, the smell of wet spring grass, watching a duck glide to rest on the waters surface. Second I am reminded how this environment seems to magically remove the stress of a city environment. No boom boxes with angry voices shouting "gansta rap" (a constant problem in So Cal), escape from high density housing, traffic and of course crime.

Give me my kayak, a fishing pole and an hour or two and the worlds troubles seem to melt away. Well except of course that I worry that my LMB aren't getting enough to eat. And I worry that enough of my newly stocked blue gill will get big enough to breed. And I worry that DIED will catch a bigger GSF than me and knock me off the record board. \:D But those types of worries I can handle.

Quote:

And that's the end, I promise!
I hope not, Bobad, I truly hope not. Write on, my friend, write on.
Posted By: Matt Clark Re: Building a Pond the Hard Way - 03/20/07 05:49 PM
Wow Bobad...awesome story. Finding a "sugar daddy" like that really helped you out. Seems it also helped him out immensely, and gave you guys a new friend for life. Congratulations and good luck...that site will provide you with enjoyment as long as you go there...
Posted By: eddie_walker Re: Building a Pond the Hard Way - 03/20/07 11:31 PM
Bob,

Great story, but where's the pictures????

Please, please, please post some pictures!!!!

Eddie
Posted By: Brettski Re: Building a Pond the Hard Way - 03/20/07 11:58 PM
Outstanding delivery, Bobad! What a great story, as told by the master.
Posted By: Eastland Re: Building a Pond the Hard Way - 03/21/07 12:00 AM
bobad, nice post ! I wouldn't worry about the muddy water, it took 6 months for mine to settle out after it was built and good rain fell. I bought alum, tossed in 50 lbs...and stacked 300 lbs in a minor runoff area to wash in when the big rains occur. I have about a 100 foot drop in elevation, and the water comes in pretty fast with a big one. That was 2 years ago, and I still have about 3/4 the alum remaining on the ground...pond water looks good. Once you have several good rains and grass covers all the exposed dirt from the dozer/trucks, you will be fine !
Posted By: bobad Re: Building a Pond the Hard Way - 03/21/07 11:06 AM
 Quote:
I wouldn't worry about the muddy water, it took 6 months for mine to settle out after it was built and good rain fell. I bought alum, tossed in 50 lbs...and stacked 300 lbs in a minor runoff area to wash in when the big rains occur.
Thanks for the encouagement. I'm not in a big hurry to get it cleared up, but I would like it to be partially cleared by the time the bream start to spawn. That probably won't be until mid to late summer.
Posted By: bobad Re: Building a Pond the Hard Way - 03/21/07 11:48 AM
Fish In!

The big event happened on March 3rd 2007. I made a 50 mile trip to the little community of Maurice to pick up my fish order. Chris, the hatchery owner, was not in the office, so I looked around. There were ~250gal tanks brimming with fish, and I could have watched them all day. It was better than TV. It's funny how swimming fish can mesmerize people. I think it brings out deep-seated instincts in us. The hatchery grounds were pretty impressive. In addition to the fish breeding ponds, there was a "lunker bass" pond for club members to fish. I bet there were some huge bass in that pond, because it was catch and release only. Chris showed up, and loaded up my bags of fish. For my initial stocking, I ordered 600 BG, 200 RES, and 5# of FHM. The counts looked to be very generous. He even mentioned that the RES count was 250 at the very least. He told me that he slipped a few CBNG into the mix, and wanted to know if that was OK. I told him I appreciated it, and it should be interesting. I don't think there is any down side to a BGXCBNG mix, but hope someone will let me know if there is. I also noticed at least 1 big fat bullfrog tadpole among the mayhem in the bags of bream. I was in a hurry to get them home to keep the stress low, so I kept the rest of the visit short.

As I released the fish into the pond, I noted the BG sizes varied widely. There were perhaps a dozen 5 inchers, 2-3 doz. 4 inchers, perhaps 100 3 inchers, and the rest were 1-2". The RES were much more uniform, and ran very small at about an inch. The FHM were 99% fully grown, and quite fat. The bream were obviously in great condition, and lively. However, they weren't as plump as I would have liked them to be. I saw 3 floater bream and 2-3 woozy ones. The floaters had body damage, so they may have been pinched while being handled. I saw 2 more floater FHM in the next 3-4 days. So I think I was lucky, all things considered. In addition to the 5# of FHM, I have been adding gambusia (G. affinis) from my gully since early January of 2007. I would usually catch 25-50 at a time, but some days I could only catch 10. Since my dip net has a fairly coarse mesh, most of my catch was large pregnant females. At last count I have stocked 420, and they are breeding and thriving. I am seeing way too many 1" gams for them to be the ones I caught, so I suspect they were hatched in my pond over a month ago. I will be stocking LMB and Bcrappie in early June, and I hope by then I will have a bumper crop of gambusia and FHM.

1 week after stocking, I took a hasty dip net survey at points all around the pond. I netted about 50 gambusia, 2 dozen 1/2" crawfish, a dozen bream, and 2 FHM So they have distributed themselves well. I did stock all the fish into 1 area.

Addendum: On March 15th, I went to a friend's lake and dip netted a few ghost shrimp. There were millions of them, but there were too many sticks and roots to use the dip net efficiently. After 3 hours of hard work, I brought home only ~150 shrimp. They ran from 3/4" long to the fully mature size of nearly 2". On the positive side, most of the larger ones were carrying eggs, so there should be plenty of them by the time I stock bass and crappie in early June. As far as I know, there is no downside to ghost shrimp, providing you have cover for them. I think they are vastly under rated as a secondary forage species. I also picked up about 200 gambusia and few dozen other critters, including spring peepers and dragonfly nymphs. The stocked gambusia count is now around 600, and that's all I need. I wish I had another 1000 ghost shrimp, but catching them is too much like work!

Addendum #2: Another dip net survey taken March 18 revealed that my bream have the "big head thin body look of death" syndrome. I ran to Wal-Mart and grabbed 10# of 33% protein food and fed heavily every day so far. I will continue to do so as long as they look puny.

=-=-=-=-=-

Building a pond the hard way was, well, hard. Please don't try this at home unless you are totally obsessed. But who knows, you may get lucky!

It's been fun. Thanks for all the questions and nice comments.

Spring peeper... a tiny, lively little frog.

Grass or ghost shrimp. Great forage, great bait.

Picture credits: NOAA
Posted By: cmb Re: Building a Pond the Hard Way - 03/26/07 09:53 PM
Great story and great writing, really enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing!
© Pond Boss Forum