Pond Boss
Posted By: george Foot Bridge ? - 02/07/07 07:44 PM
A photo of a “super bridge” was posted a couple or so weeks ago that I can’t locate.
It spanned a “cut” between ponds that is very similar to ours.

I would like to research the feasablity of a simple “foot bridge”, about a +/- 20 ft. span, across a similar area.
Any ideas?

Posted By: DAN PATERSON Re: Foot Bridge ? - 02/07/07 08:18 PM
George,

You might get some ideas from this link. You might not need something this sturdy but the basic plan might be of use.

I need to connect a 12' span that was cut into one of our original dams when we added an additional 1.5 acres for both foot and ATV use.

www.pacifi.ca/1_24foot.html
Posted By: dave in el dorado ca Re: Foot Bridge ? - 02/07/07 08:23 PM
aw heck, thats a easy jump for you george \:\)
Posted By: Shorty Re: Foot Bridge ? - 02/07/07 08:33 PM
George, we used two old wooden power line poles topped with 2x6 treated lumber for our foot bridge, it is strudy enough to drive the riding lawn mover over. The power company was installing new ones a while back and the old ones were free. \:\)
Posted By: Brettski Re: Foot Bridge ? - 02/07/07 08:53 PM
this super bridge?
Posted By: ewest Re: Foot Bridge ? - 02/08/07 04:32 PM
George will you be riding your old red mule across the bridge? \:D

Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Foot Bridge ? - 02/08/07 04:45 PM
Is that an old dam that was cut to tie in to a new pond below the old one, george? How wide are the peninsulas?
Posted By: george Re: Foot Bridge ? - 02/08/07 05:29 PM
 Quote:
Originally posted by Theo Gallus:
Is that an old dam that was cut to tie in to a new pond below the old one, george? How wide are the peninsulas?
Theo, when pond was so very low early last year, we deepened the upper end of 2-acre pond that was high and dry and full of cattails. The dike/berm/peninsula dirt was used instead of hauling it off.
I’m guessing <100ft bank to bank with about a +/- 20ft cut.

Ewest, probably won’t be riding the “old red mule” over the bridge, but will be a dock of sorts and a neat place to kick back and watch the fishes. \:D
Could catch a mojo CNBG or HSB most every cast last fall – named the new pond “fish trap”.

I like Shorty’s telephone pole idea. \:\)
What about metal trusses for bridge framework that some of you guy’s use in your shops and out buildings?

Posted By: rockytopper Re: Foot Bridge ? - 02/08/07 07:37 PM
George I plan to build a bridge across my creek as you say using metal building truss material. I plan to use 3 inch sq tubing 14 ga. I have a 36 foot span. I'm considering a arch design or perhaps a covered bridge like "bridge's of madison county" .I like the treated lumber arch design listed here but under the canopy of my trees it will tend to rout very rapidly because it doesn't dry out for lack of sun exposure. As for telephone poles here is a link to a saw mill in Bowie, TX they actually saw the poles into dimensional lumber and beams(up to 8x8 x 28 ft long). I think I'll deck my bridge with this stuff. It looks like red cedar when freshly cut. http://www.sticesawmill.com/ the pricing is very reasonable. Good luck
Posted By: Shorty Re: Foot Bridge ? - 02/08/07 07:51 PM
George, if you do the telephone pole thing then make sure you securly anchor the ends down. We once had a real heavy downpour that washed the foot bridge out over the feeder creek and it took foot bridge clear down to the dam. It was secured with T-posts driven almost all the way into the ground and and held in place with chains, it still ended up washing out. BTW, the poles float great and and the 6'W x 30'+ foot bridge/floating dock can hold at least 3 people when it's floating. \:D
Posted By: Wood Re: Foot Bridge ? - 02/08/07 08:12 PM
Here's a bridge we built in our oilfield rig-up shop for a customer.

Posted By: Nick Re: Foot Bridge ? - 02/08/07 08:27 PM
Here is a combination atv bridge - water moving bridge. The primary purpose is to get water across the old slough channel into a 70 acre marsh (the pump station is on one side of the slough and the marsh is on the other side of the slough). After we started putting it together we decided we might as well make it so the atv could get across as well. It works fairly well for both. The pipe is 16" diameter steel. The span is 18' Between the 2 pipes I can move about 2200 gpm.

Nick

Nick

Posted By: bobad Re: Foot Bridge ? - 02/09/07 05:00 PM
George,

If you go with wood, remember that the main member strength needs to quadruple as the span doubles.

For example, 4 treated 2x12's would be strong enough bracing for a 10' bridge, and carry an ATV and 2 riders just fine. At 20 feet, (if you could even find 20' 2x12's) would be way too bouncy, and may even break.

That means that a 20' span would need to be massively strong, or (preferably) have 1 or 2 pair of posts.
Posted By: george Re: Foot Bridge ? - 02/09/07 05:41 PM
 Quote:
Originally posted by bobad:
George,
If you go with wood, remember that the main member strength needs to quadruple as the span doubles.
bobad, that's why utility poles sounded like a good idea - if I can find surplus.
Too late for posts.

I've googled metal trusses - the type used in metal out-buildings, but can't find them as separate item.
Would they be strong enough to support foot traffic or ATV?
Posted By: bobad Re: Foot Bridge ? - 02/09/07 10:27 PM
George,

Yea, those type of metal trusses are very strong. They are usually designed to hold a huge snow load.

Some people are using old flatbed trailers for bridges. They're ugly, but can be dressed up to look very nice.
Posted By: george Re: Foot Bridge ? - 02/09/07 11:38 PM
Thanks bobad. and all the others for your help.
Good idea on old flatbed trailers for bridge.
George Glazener
N.E. Texas
Posted By: Rangersedge Re: Foot Bridge ? - 02/09/07 11:51 PM
Old flatbed trailer is a great idea!

We recently bought some old bridge trusses for just their salvage value.
© Pond Boss Forum