Pond Boss
Posted By: okiefish16 HSB and CNBG - 12/13/06 05:35 PM
Would HSB keep CNBG under control? I would just like to have something that will spawn. I have some old hot water tanks that I was thinking about cutting the ends off for CC spawning. Just some thoughts.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: HSB and CNBG - 12/14/06 02:44 AM
You might need a pretty high predator-to-prey ratio for that to work, since all (non-hybrid) BG are pretty prolific and HSB are reportedly not as efficient a BG predator as LMB.

How about RES and HSB?
Posted By: burgermeister Re: HSB and CNBG - 12/14/06 03:22 AM
Good idea from Theo. Maybe with a few CNBG you'll get some RES/BG crosses. CC should help some in holding down the spawn. If your pond is small, you might can trap and sein to control excess. You can all LMB later if needed.
Posted By: george Re: HSB and CNBG - 12/14/06 11:48 AM
I stocked 6 breeding pairs of CNBG in our ¼ acre HSB “grow-out” pond last spring.

I haven’t seen hide nor hair of a single BG since.
Either they all died or the HSB have feasted on CNBG spawn.
I’ve trapped a few small RES.

School’s still out on this one – should have a better idea next spring.

burger's right on - you can always add LMB but dificult to remove. \:\)

N.E. Texas
Posted By: okiefish16 Re: HSB and CNBG - 12/14/06 02:27 PM
I like the idea of trapping before I put LMB in. Are the RES as good eating as BG? I'm thinking 125 CNBG 50 RES 30 CC 30 HSB.
Posted By: ewest Re: HSB and CNBG - 12/14/06 02:48 PM
BG and RES taste the same to me. Will you be stocking 2in. fish ? Will you be feeding the fish? One thing to keep in mind is that if the #s don't work it is easy to change directions with a .25 acre pond and they are much easier to manage with seining , trapping and fishing.
Posted By: okiefish16 Re: HSB and CNBG - 12/14/06 04:03 PM
I want to stock 3-4in and I am going to feed. I think I finaly understand that I can fix what ever I do since the pond is small.
© Pond Boss Forum