Pond Boss
Posted By: dr3131 Zip Line - 12/12/06 04:26 AM
I have been thinking of adding a zip line (next summer) across the pond and would be interested in hearing how others have done this.
I have no trees around the pond to use.
I also wouldn't want them to be able to go all the way to the other side and fall into the rocks.
Any information would be great.
Thanks
Posted By: ArkansasElkHunter Re: Zip Line - 12/12/06 05:12 AM
Have not built mine yet but I know how I'm gonna do it. I set a 30' telephone pole, tonight as a matter of fact. My dock is now to be a floating one as the water filled up too fast and i did not get my poles set. I'll run the cable from the pole across the end of the dock and into the dam 200 feet away. Of the end of the dock I'll build a 10' ladder platform for a launching pad. That's the safest way I could think of. At least they wont be airborn over anything but water. I plan to use a auger type cable anchor. They screw into the ground and the Electric company guys said they'll more that hold the load i'll need. I forgot the holding strength he said but it was in the thousands of pound force. The anchor will be a couple feet above the water level so the water will drag them off is they forget to let go.

Posted By: bz Re: Zip Line - 12/12/06 06:05 PM
I always wanted to install a zip line into my pond. My house is close enough and high enough that I've dreamed of putting a line from my deck down across the pond. What a kick that would be at summer deck parties! The line would run about 300 feet to the opposite side. I did some searching and you can buy the trolley device needed to do this. My only hesitation is that the line would run for about 100 feet over dry ground where a person would be 15 feet high. Don't let go early or ouch! I'd do this in a flash if I thought no one would get hurt.
Posted By: dr3131 Re: Zip Line - 12/12/06 07:27 PM
Where did you find the trolley supplies. I have looked online without success.
I was also curious about getting the trolley device back to the starting position after the child travels to the other side.
Posted By: Jersey Re: Zip Line - 12/12/06 08:30 PM
Child?
Posted By: dr3131 Re: Zip Line - 12/13/06 01:04 AM
Jersey,
Yes children and adults would both use it. I imagine kids would use it more. I don't see any difference between that and jumping off of a diving board.
Posted By: Ric Swaim Re: Zip Line - 12/13/06 02:04 AM
I believe Bob Lusk put one in one of his ponds.
Posted By: Bob Lusk Re: Zip Line - 12/13/06 03:47 AM
Yes, we did. The princess Debbie did it. We had a local welder fabricate two poles out of four inch steel. We buried them 36 inches deep in concrete. On one pole, Debbie had him weld a platform, about ten feet off the ground. As soon as a kid is launched, they are over water. There is a steel ladder coming up the side of the pole, to the platform. Debbie keeps a towel tied to the platform.
On the back of the first pole is a welded loop. Attached are two pieces of wire rope, attached to mobile home anchors drilled into the ground. I added two heavy turnbuckles, to adjust pressure to make sure we have enough tension on the wire rope cable that goes across the pond. On the front, about six and a half feet above the platform, is where the zip line is attached. The other pole, on the far side of the pond. has a loop on the front where, the zip line is attached, and another on the back, for the anchor cables. It, too, has turnbuckles. The cable has a slight drop in elevation.
The trolley device has a rope attached, which allows the rider to only go out about halfway across the pond. When they get to that point, they are about six feet off the water. Just below the platform on pole number one is a 12" loop, that the rope feeds through. The rope serves two purposes...to keep the rider from going all the way across and to retrieve the trolley for the next rider.
Since I haven't taken time to learn how to post photos, I'll send a couple to Ewest and ask him to do it.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Zip Line - 12/13/06 01:34 PM
Bob, the only picture we can accept is one of you, yourself, zinging across the zip line.
Posted By: ewest Re: Zip Line - 12/13/06 03:24 PM
Bob send them and I will post the pics.
Posted By: Bob Lusk Re: Zip Line - 12/13/06 03:52 PM
E,
I sent them to your msn address....
Posted By: ewest Re: Zip Line - 12/13/06 07:24 PM
From Bob \:\)

Posted By: Ric Swaim Re: Zip Line - 12/14/06 11:03 AM
The princess did a good job!
Looks like the young man reached the end of his rope & isn't so sure about letting go! \:D
Nice Pic's!
Posted By: dr3131 Re: Zip Line - 12/14/06 01:20 PM
Bob,
Great photos!
That is exactly what I am looking for.
Do you remember where your wife purchased the trolley system?
Thanks
Posted By: Matt Clark Re: Zip Line - 12/14/06 09:07 PM
I guess I thought Bob was a bit older than that...
Posted By: Sunil Re: Zip Line - 12/14/06 09:12 PM
Matt, digital photos take years off.
Posted By: Bob Lusk Re: Zip Line - 12/15/06 02:52 AM
The Princess Debbie found our zip line at www.outdoorfunstore.com/zip-line.asp.
I still chuckle when looking at those photos. Grandson Ethan, six at the time, didn't have much reservation about riding. He just didn't want to drop. He hung for at least three or four minutes before gravity took its toll. Now, you can't keep the little rascal off it. He wanted to ride the zip line three weeks ago, when water temps were pushing downward into the fifties. On that first adventure, he wanted Meems to reel him back in.
By the way, from all the photos I have seen, I did look something like that kid, except I was a bit porkier.
Zip line=fun.
By the way, you won't catch me on it...ever....but when Sunil comes, we'll gang up on him and watch him sail across the pond, start crying and laugh as he begs the princess to retrieve him.
No need to bring any floaties, our dear friend. We have them on hand, just for you.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Zip Line - 12/15/06 03:07 AM
Make Sunil kiss a catfish, too.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Zip Line - 12/15/06 04:19 AM
I'm all over that zip line like a cheap suit.
Posted By: Brettski Re: Zip Line - 12/15/06 11:57 AM
 Quote:
Originally posted by Matt Clark:
I guess I thought Bob was a bit older than that...
Why so surprised? Some of Bob's most creative ideas were hatched during his formative years.

Posted By: Matt Clark Re: Zip Line - 12/15/06 01:38 PM
Yeah, Brett...I keep forgetting that.
Posted By: trialsguy Re: Zip Line - 12/15/06 07:18 PM
Man! as I kid I would have been down that hill in a heartbeat with my skateboard, we were never parted. I think I would probably have to stop and put a helmet on now that I am older. \:\)
Posted By: Ryan Freeze Re: Zip Line - 12/15/06 08:10 PM
I had a lot of fun just with a rope tied high in a tree down at the creek. The zip line looks like like it would be even more fun. Does anyone have any resources for the appropriate sized cable to span 175' for about 250lbs.
Posted By: alan nas Re: Zip Line - 07/24/13 03:28 AM
for 175' and 250 lbs 1/4" cable would be fine. It can handle 200' at 350 lbs. The cable is readily available at local stores like home depot. You want galvanized cable so that it doesn't rust.

my zip line install: http://myzip-line.blogspot.com/
Posted By: Sunil Re: Zip Line - 07/24/13 12:22 PM
Wow, when these old threads resurface, we really see the names of those who used to be very regular posters.
Posted By: outdoorlivin247 Re: Zip Line - 07/24/13 03:09 PM
Here is a short video of my portable zipline I made up for the winch of my Jeep...This was the first run, it has come along ways since this video...Need to make some new ones when I get it back...

© Pond Boss Forum