Pond Boss
Posted By: Sunil A Call to the Guvnor - 10/03/06 08:21 PM
Last Thursday, I flew into Dallas Fort Worth to travel on to Hugo, OK. for a power plant job. The schedule and work scope was vague, so I knew I might have time to visit with some fellow Pond Bossers after the job finished up.

I sent Dave Davidson a message saying that I might be around early in the week of Oct. 1, '06 and to see if he wanted to get together for a meal or a drink. He promptly sent me a note back with all of his phone numbers.

Well, my job got finished up this past Sunday night, so I was going to be able to fly out Monday morning.

So I called the Guvnor to let him know I was not going to be able to meet.

I've never spoke to him before, but when I called him, it seemed as if we'd known each other for years. We had a great discussion on all kinds of topics, and I was sad that I had to end the call as I got on the tram at DFW (so much of what he was saying was so funny that I'd be laughing out loud around other folks riding the tram).

Dave is quite a fellow and a country gentleman of the finest sorts.

I've only ever met in person one other PB member, however, it was the main man himself. Next years meeting is going to be a blast. Merely putting the sound of someone's voice to their name is quite amazing after having corresponded using the written word for so long.
Posted By: Ric Swaim Re: A Call to the Guvnor - 10/03/06 09:44 PM
 Quote:
Dave is quite a fellow and a country gentleman of the finest sorts.
I concur Sunil, It's a pleasure to be in his presence.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: A Call to the Guvnor - 10/04/06 01:35 AM
Country Gentleman?

Ric, you're getting me mixed up with Otto.

I'm looking forward to next year so I can meet a lot of old friends for the first time.
Posted By: ewest Re: A Call to the Guvnor - 10/04/06 01:44 AM
Dave I agree with Sunil and Ric but would add a very knowledgeable GGF-ly type of country gentleman of the finest sorts. \:\) \:D
Posted By: Brettski Re: A Call to the Guvnor - 10/04/06 02:59 AM
 Quote:
...a very knowledgeable GGF-ly type
Has our sage moderator spawned a new acronym with his 4th generational accomplishment? Is this a new one for Theo's list?
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: A Call to the Guvnor - 10/04/06 12:38 PM
Georgia Giant Friendly?

I've been picturing DD as a cross between John Wayne and Mark Twain, and am looking forward to having that premonition blown all to pieces by reality.
Posted By: Sunil Re: A Call to the Guvnor - 10/04/06 01:29 PM
How 'bout Great Grand Father? And to think that Dave is only 35 years old. Wonders never cease...
Posted By: ewest Re: A Call to the Guvnor - 10/04/06 01:37 PM
Thank you Sunil !! Theo -- Jimmy Stewart and Mark Twain would be closer.

Posted By: Greg Grimes Re: A Call to the Guvnor - 10/04/06 06:06 PM
I got a pic of the country gentelmen on my boat but will let the anticipation of a personal meeting go to full fruition for the PB convention.
Posted By: ewest Re: A Call to the Guvnor - 10/04/06 09:17 PM
Greg a great pic of you and Dave shocking the fish in Phyllis Lea's lake is on the forum and will be in the slide show for the convention. \:\)
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: A Call to the Guvnor - 10/06/06 12:29 AM
The "guvnor" cancelled a meeting and took time out of his busy day to travel all the way to the DFW airport and take my Dad and me to the Bass Pro Shops for a little pond chat.

What a wonderful guy and yes, truly a gentleman. I can't wait for next spring's meeting to spend more time with Dave and many others. I also got to see the biggest bass I've ever laid eyes on at about 16 pounds. What a treat!

Thanks, Dave. \:\)
Posted By: Dave Davidson Re: A Call to the Guvnor - 10/06/06 03:13 PM
I really enjoyed meeting Bruce and Frank. We had about an hour at BPS. Bruce pointed out a lot of things about the BPS aquarium fish that I didn't know.

BTW, Frank is the quiet one.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: A Call to the Guvnor - 10/06/06 03:59 PM
 Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Davidson:
BTW, Frank is the quiet one.
One needs some way to tell them apart without resorting to checking their driver's licenses.
Posted By: Eastland Re: A Call to the Guvnor - 10/06/06 04:55 PM
Dang Dave, you know I'm only 15 minutes from DFW/BPS, it could have been a mini PB Meeting...Condello is a legend !
Posted By: Dave Davidson Re: A Call to the Guvnor - 10/06/06 06:30 PM
Heck, I didn't know you were that close.

Wanna buy an autograph?
Posted By: Eastland Re: A Call to the Guvnor - 10/06/06 06:57 PM
That's ok Dave, we'll hook up soon enough.

Autograph...nah, you would probably rake me over the coals, I'll stand in line at the convention \:\)
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: A Call to the Guvnor - 10/06/06 08:23 PM
I'm selling my autographs at the convention. I'll give you five dollars for every one you take.
Posted By: new_water_ways Re: A Call to the Guvnor - 10/06/06 08:29 PM
Do they have a Bass Pro Shop in Texas? Just curious,since we have the BIG one here in Missouri. :p
Posted By: Dave Davidson Re: A Call to the Guvnor - 10/06/06 09:36 PM
Yep, there is one in the middle area of Dallas/Fort Worth and another under construction on the East side of Dallas.

Cabelas is on the West side of Fort Worth.
Posted By: Sunil Re: A Call to the Guvnor - 10/06/06 10:48 PM
During certain iterations of line-up in my old rock band, there were times when we were paid $50 just to go somewhere else and play.
Posted By: new_water_ways Re: A Call to the Guvnor - 10/07/06 02:26 PM
Well I knew he was expanding... hard to believe he started out in his dads Brown Derby store with a few lures.
Posted By: Bing Re: A Call to the Guvnor - 10/08/06 12:57 AM
Chris:

When Morris got started we used to leave work in St. Louis and race to Springfield to stop in the Brown Derby on Glenstone on our way to Table Rock. We'd buy Pedigo Pord Rinds for 39 cents and # 500 Brown wooden Bombers for 49.

Bing
Posted By: new_water_ways Re: A Call to the Guvnor - 10/08/06 03:15 PM
Cool Bing,
Im sure you wern't the only ones.

Im a firm believer that if you find a need and fill it ...they will come. \:D
© Pond Boss Forum