Pond Boss
Posted By: hugghins hay bale in pond - 08/21/06 09:53 PM
The guys cutting my hay accidently let a large round bale roll into my pond. It will be very difficult to get out. Can this cause a problem or should I just not worry about it and assume it will sink eventually (it's just floating around right now). The pond has about an acre of water in it right now. Thanks for any advice you can give.
Posted By: rockytopper Re: hay bale in pond - 08/21/06 10:17 PM
I had a round bale enter my pond from the inflow channel, it had been placed as erosion control across the road from me, the water current was too strong and it ended up in about 4 feet of water in the neck of my pond. My poor cows stood out in icey water eating on it until no more was exposed above water. Others on this forum put them in as fish habit, I don't thank you really need to worry with it.
Posted By: rockytopper Re: hay bale in pond - 08/21/06 10:18 PM
Except with the current price of hay in my area you just let 100$ go down the drain.
Posted By: Meadowlark Re: hay bale in pond - 08/21/06 10:23 PM
Hugghins,

I've had that happen...cows pushed it into the pond...and it isn't a problem. Only problem I know of is that at the price of hay right now, that can be an expensive proposition. \:\)

Small forage fish love it. I have had cattails spring up from a residual hay feeding area that was inundated by a rising pond once, but that is a different kind of problem and not associated with an intact round bale.
Posted By: hugghins Re: hay bale in pond - 08/21/06 10:32 PM
Thanks for the quick responses. I'll just watch the $100 bill slowly sink and not worry about it.
Posted By: turkeyfootnc Re: hay bale in pond - 08/23/06 02:24 AM
I heard of a square bale getting caught up at the top of the drain in a pond and almost made a big time mess, but that's usually not a problem.
© Pond Boss Forum