Pond Boss
Posted By: J. E. Craig WATERFOWL FISH EGGS & FRY - 08/14/06 01:03 PM
Please help settle a discussion.

I have strange fish: bowfin, gar, eels in my 18 year old 3 acre retention pond in North FLa. The pond was originally stocked by fishermen with what they caught else where. I think the above fish are a bit eccentric to go to that much effort.

The wife & her brother argue that waterfowl droppings are the source of the unique fish. It does not seem likey that eggs or fry would be viable after passing though their digestive tract. Plant seeds, yes.

I do not believe that senario is very likely. But a slightly more likely possibility is that the fry and eggs could be transported on the feathers and feet of waterfowl. While I think this is possible but unlikely.

Your opinions Please.
Posted By: rmedgar Re: WATERFOWL FISH EGGS & FRY - 08/14/06 01:33 PM
Uh Oh - the floodgates about to be opened again!!!!!!
J this subject has been "beaten like a borrowed mule"
so get ready!!!!!!!
Posted By: bobad Re: WATERFOWL FISH EGGS & FRY - 08/14/06 02:00 PM
Well, certainly no higher form of life will pass through the digestive tract of a bird. However, birds are most likely the primary source of "spontaneous pond stocking". I have observed egrets eating gambusia, and seen live babies (from a the ruptured belly of a pregnant female)stuck to the bird's beak. I think the babies would live at least 20 minutes. I beleive fertilized eggs can occasionally stick to a bird's feet. Also, birds will fly across water carrying a fish to the nest. Other birds will often harrass the bird, and it will instinctively drop the fish to get away. Nature finds a way!
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: WATERFOWL FISH EGGS & FRY - 08/14/06 03:09 PM
Not to discount non-human options (which have been discussed practically ad nauseum already, as noted), but I wouldn't rule out human stocking of ANYTHING. There's "unique" tastes in fish, there's purposeful rough fish stocking (I know of one pond where goldfish were stocked to "get" the owner), and most of all...

Never underestimate the power of human stupidity!
Posted By: dave in el dorado ca Re: WATERFOWL FISH EGGS & FRY - 08/14/06 05:32 PM
 Quote:
Originally posted by rmedgar:
Uh Oh - the floodgates about to be opened again!!!!!!
J this subject has been "beaten like a borrowed mule"
so get ready!!!!!!!
heeee hawww

J.E....I'm in the birds can definitely transfer (certain) fish species from one body of water to another camp (via legs and feathers...not digestive tract).....although I dont dare speculate about gar and bowfin.
Posted By: trialsguy Re: WATERFOWL FISH EGGS & FRY - 08/14/06 05:37 PM
 Quote:
(I know of one pond where goldfish were stocked to "get" the owner),
is it bad to have gold fish in a pond?
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: WATERFOWL FISH EGGS & FRY - 08/14/06 06:26 PM
It is if you don't want them. They can get to be quite large, spawn in ponds, and the out-generations tend to lose the attractive coloring. It can be quite similar to having common carp (with which they can supposedly cross).
Posted By: heybud Re: WATERFOWL FISH EGGS & FRY - 08/14/06 08:59 PM
Theo, Goldfish can definitely cross with Koi, cause I got six of the little buggers. They are not real handsome as you say. A Koi is just a carp.
Posted By: heronblu Re: WATERFOWL FISH EGGS & FRY - 08/14/06 10:23 PM
The Bird Spread theory (also known as the B.S. hypothesis) set to rhyme

Old blue heron thinks eggs are sweet,
Eats ‘em as a special treat.
Picks up more on his heron feet.

Then snickering in his heron way,
Flies to your pond that very day.
Poops out some eggs, all intact,
Washes off others, hit’s a fact.

Herons are evil with an evil plot,
To bring gar and eels where they were not.
Not like humans, who are never so mean,
As to bring trash fish upon the scene.

Please send all royalty checks to Mudcat Joe
Lou
Posted By: dave in el dorado ca Re: WATERFOWL FISH EGGS & FRY - 08/14/06 10:32 PM
heeee hawwwww

\:D \:D \:D
Posted By: Brettski Re: WATERFOWL FISH EGGS & FRY - 08/14/06 11:29 PM
...I see Dave finally got that side job broadcasting for K.O.R.N.
:p
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: WATERFOWL FISH EGGS & FRY - 08/15/06 12:02 AM
Lou, I figure Mr. M Joe will get all that is coming to him.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: WATERFOWL FISH EGGS & FRY - 08/15/06 01:20 AM
Why do I suspect Mudcat Joe is one of the other three people in the world who writes dirty haiku? :rolleyes:
Posted By: ewest Re: WATERFOWL FISH EGGS & FRY - 08/15/06 01:32 AM
Go Joe, Go
Mudcat's in the flow
A little rhyme
and just in time
to solve a fishy crime.
\:\) \:D ;\) \:o
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: WATERFOWL FISH EGGS & FRY - 08/15/06 01:37 AM
\:\) That's great. Mudcat is my hero. Can we make him a moderator?
Posted By: heronblu Re: WATERFOWL FISH EGGS & FRY - 08/15/06 01:48 AM
 Quote:
Lou, I figure Mr. M Joe will get all that is coming to him.
Run, Mudcat, run! You are in big trouble, now! They done caught you runnin' that trot-line on the catfish farm.
Posted By: cliffbrook Re: WATERFOWL FISH EGGS & FRY - 08/23/06 12:25 PM
friend recently said he got 2 walleye out of my pond. could fish have been in stream/wetland when pond built?
© Pond Boss Forum