Pond Boss
Posted By: KHood Pond Aeration? - 08/01/06 10:25 PM
I just experienced a fish kill and have been told it was due to low oxygen. Sounds right based on my research so far and it looks like I need to add some type of aeration. My pond is about 3 acres and probably about 15 feet deep in the center. I have been told that an aerating fountain is better than the vertex type aerators. Does anyone have any advice for me?
Posted By: Sunil Re: Pond Aeration? - 08/01/06 11:03 PM
Hang tight, KHood, and you will get replies. You can also place this question in "System Questions," which is a couple topics down on the main forum board.

Welcome aboard.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Pond Aeration? - 08/02/06 12:19 PM
IIRC fountains only aerate water at the surface and do not do a good job of mixing water throughout the depths of the pond. OTOH an air injection system (be it compressor or windmill, airstone or diffuser) can be used to aerate and mix water down to the depth you set the diffuser/airstone at.
Posted By: David B Re: Pond Aeration? - 08/02/06 02:07 PM
here is one to consider:

This system is ideal for 1 to 3 acre irregularly shaped ponds. It includes a 115-volt 1/3 HP Rocking Piston Compressor, 3-valve outlet with pressure relief valve, 400 feet of 3/8” weighted airline, 3 W4 WaterBug diffusers and fittings. The system comes with complete installation, operation and maintenance instructions.

This system includes the following:
1/3 HP Rocking Piston Compressor
400 feet of 3/8" Heavy Duty Weighted Airline
3 ea. WBB4 Diffusers
3-valve Outlet with Pressure Relief
All Necessary Fittings
Complete Installation, Operation and Maintenance Instructions
NOTE: 3 hole brick is required (not included) for installing diffuser.

Size Pond This System Will Aerate Max Depth Max Pond Size
3-4 feet 1/2 acre
5-8 feet 1 acre
9-12 feet 2 acres
13-16 feet 3 acres
Posted By: KHood Re: Pond Aeration? - 08/02/06 02:14 PM
David B,

Thanks. This system sounds like it will work. Who is the manufacturer and/or do you have a website address?
Posted By: David B Re: Pond Aeration? - 08/02/06 02:29 PM
because you live in Texas I would just do a web search for 1/3 rocking piston pumps... Gast is the manufacturer and they have sales places all over the place. I bought mine from a place near my home.
http://www.keystonehatcheries.com/default.asp
Posted By: David B Re: Pond Aeration? - 08/02/06 02:34 PM
KHOOD
I also would get in touch with TED at
http://www.cleanponds.com/
he is very knowledgable and also can help with system design etc.
he posts on pond boss so do a search for his posts.
Very helpful guy.
Posted By: burgermeister Re: Pond Aeration? - 08/02/06 08:22 PM
Everything on the list looks good, except I would go for a rotary vane compressor instead of rocking piston.I have one and it is noisy and runs hot. You can get a gast rotary vane 0523 series and you will be happier. I know Ted has been selling the rotary vane at a good price.
Posted By: Sue Cruz Re: Pond Aeration? - 08/04/06 05:43 PM
Hi KHood -
It is unfortunate that some fountain manufacturers are still misleading people into thinking a fountain is an aerator and on top of that it is better than a bottom diffuser!!! A fountain in no way can compare to the efficiency of an aeration system. When water quality improvement is the main objective: initial cost, monthly cost, ease of installation, lower maintenance, no electricity in the water and performance are just some of the many advantages. I love fountains, don't get me wrong, we manufacture some of the best, but they should be marketed for their beauty, and not as aeration systems. The best thing you can do is consult a professional and relay the details of your pond so that a system can be custom designed for your individual pond and its needs.
© Pond Boss Forum