Pond Boss
Posted By: stony Nutria? - 07/31/06 02:38 AM
While fishing in my pond this weekend in northern, MS I saw two nutria. First I've ever seen in northern MS. Can only speculate that Katrina somehow extended their range.
Posted By: Meadowlark Re: Nutria? - 07/31/06 12:54 PM
Stony,

They are bad news...get after them. They dig extensive tunnel systems in your dam undermining the dams integrity. Difficult to trap and nocturnal by nature. Can cause high $ damage to your pond.
Posted By: bobad Re: Nutria? - 07/31/06 02:19 PM
Hurricanes shouldn't affect them at all, they can just hunker down in their burrows. It's hard to believe they are that far north naturally, even if your pond were close to the Mississippi River. As ML said, better get them quick! Best way to get them is at night with a strong light and .22LR. Good luck!
Posted By: TEXAS715 Re: Nutria? - 07/31/06 07:29 PM
Get them under control fast. I have them and it is a constant battle for me. When I think I have gotten them all there seem to be more coming out of the creeks. A never ending battle for me.
Posted By: bobad Re: Nutria? - 07/31/06 11:46 PM
I forgot to mention: They taste like chicken!
Posted By: stony Re: Nutria? - 08/06/06 11:02 PM
I shot the male this weekend. Hope the female will get lonely and go elsewhere. My luck will be the males will come to her and I'll have a recurring problem.
Posted By: FamilyTradition Re: Nutria? - 08/07/06 12:47 AM
See if Gater will loan you one of his pond lizards. The lizards say they taste just like Labradors.
Posted By: TEXAS715 Re: Nutria? - 08/07/06 04:25 PM
Shot one this weekend. Pointer flushed it out of the reeds and the lab retrieved it after being shot. Gotta love dogs!
© Pond Boss Forum