Pond Boss
Posted By: KELLY B Bentonite to stop leak? - 07/22/06 12:23 AM
I want to add some bentonite powder to my pond to try and stop the leakage. The pond is about 12,ooo sq ft surface area and is loosing about 2-3" each day. I realize that some of the water is lost to evaporation but there is also water under the liner. I'm hoping that the bentonite will help slow or stop the leakage. Question is will the bentonite be harmful to the fish-LMB,BG,CF and any idea of how much bentonite may be needed? Any other remedies that may help??
Posted By: PondsForFun Re: Bentonite to stop leak? - 07/22/06 08:17 AM
Kelly B

I have never heard of using bentonite by just dumping it in the water. What kind of liner do you have? 2-3 inches is a significant leak. How is the pond supplied with water? Usually a pond liner is the most expensive and complete way to seal a pond. If your liner is leaking it must have been breached somehow. Draining, patching and refilling is the best course of action. If you will follow this link and look under product uses, you will see the ways that sodium bentonite is used.

http://www.texassodiumbentonite.com/
Posted By: kayakndave Re: Bentonite to stop leak? - 07/22/06 11:15 AM
Kelly - If it's a lined pond, you might consider letting it leak down for awhile. If the leak is on the sides, it may be a fairly easy fix. Once the water level drops down to where the hole is - it will stop dropping, and you'll be able to find the hole in the liner. Obviously if the hole is at the bottom, a complete drain would be necessary. I wouldn't assume it's on the bottom though.
Posted By: kayakndave Re: Bentonite to stop leak? - 07/22/06 11:19 AM
Also, it is possible to apply bentonite directly to the pond to seal the leak, and it has worked, but it's an iffy situation at best. You might also try www.Koiphen.com - excellent information on lined ponds.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Bentonite to stop leak? - 07/22/06 11:36 AM
I gotta agree with Ponds and Kayak. I doubt the wisdom of using bentonite. It is nothing more than powdered clay that expands when it gets wet. The best application is tilling into the ground to lessen the permeability. You are betting that it will find the leak and stop it. It is my understanding that most liner leaks are caused my animals stepping on and breaching it. It is also my understanding that liner failure is rare. Your breach is probably not deep and is probably not very large.

I don't think you have many viable alternatives other than letting it leak down until the leak can be identified.
© Pond Boss Forum