Pond Boss
Posted By: portable ladder How long did it take yours to fill? - 07/18/06 02:27 PM
I decided to wait until mid-August to build our pond for various reasons. Anyway how long did it take for your pond to fill? I'm hoping mine is completely full by June, we'll see. I don't have much run off, probably only 3-4 acres for a 1/2 acre pond. 14' deep in some areas.
well, i couldnt think of a more dis-similar (pond) scenario.......but in my situation it filled in about a month. it took about 8-10 inches of rain in our watershed to get the creeks going well enough to fill pond. we finished our renovation in early November (05), and by Christmas it was full...that was nice.
Posted By: Meadowlark Re: How long did it take yours to fill? - 07/18/06 04:00 PM
This is one of those...it all depends topics.

Nature filled my newly built about 4 acre pond in one winter with about the same watershed as yours...one two acre pond has been finished for 2 years, has 40 acres of watershed, and has never been full...it all depends.
Posted By: Martin Re: How long did it take yours to fill? - 07/18/06 07:26 PM
My 12 acre pond has limited runoff and it filled completely in two years. It has remained full in the years following. I lose about 12 inches in the hottest part of the summer.
Thanks for the replies. If mine fills over the winter, I'll be one happy dude. If not, hopefully the Spring Rains will fill it up. We generally get about 35 inches of Precip per year here in Indiana. I'm really looking forward to construction of the pond. We decided to wait until August because I can seed and grow my clover and orchard grass much better in September rather than trying to grow it now in the heat of the summer.
Posted By: rockytopper Re: How long did it take yours to fill? - 07/18/06 08:53 PM
The record so far is less than 15 minutes once runoff started flowing in, 1.5 acre pond, 300 acre water shed, 2.5 inchs rain in less than 30 minutes.
holy moly

that must have been fun to watch.
Posted By: Brettski Re: How long did it take yours to fill? - 07/18/06 10:46 PM
DIED,
have Rocky-T send ya the video of the results. V cool.
Posted By: Eastland Re: How long did it take yours to fill? - 07/19/06 12:28 AM
Completed August 2003, 4 acres 22 ft. deep, 60 acres watershed...came within 6" of full during the Pond Boss meeting at DFW, now back down 3-4 feet...still havent reached full pool. My Pop has said more than once "Your pond would be full if you didn't dig it so deep"

I like knowing that Mother Nature would have to pull "all the tricks" out of her bag to dry up my fish ! I also built it with HSB in mind, I'm a firm believer that HSB need the cooler temps in open water around the thermocline. The 3" HSB I stocked in April 2005 are nearing 1 1/2 lbs, everything is lookin' good.
© Pond Boss Forum