Pond Boss
Posted By: ejrfan Predatory Bird Control - 07/14/06 08:19 PM
Two Words

PURPLE MARTINS
Posted By: Brettski Re: Predatory Bird Control - 07/14/06 11:11 PM
ejrfan...
can you be more specific? Are you indicating that the Martins are predatory?
You should find a lot of help here: PM forum
Posted By: dave in el dorado ca Re: Predatory Bird Control - 07/14/06 11:26 PM
if i recall correctly (and probably i dont) but i remember martins to have similar habits to many types of swallows.....we have an abundance of violet green, tree, cliff, and barn swallows that eat some bugs around pond but dont appear to cause any problems, its nice to have them flying around. they swoop down and lightly skim water, have never seen them nab a fish.
Posted By: PondsForFun Re: Predatory Bird Control - 07/14/06 11:33 PM
If he is saying they will control (run off) blue Herons I would be very interested.
Posted By: dave in el dorado ca Re: Predatory Bird Control - 07/14/06 11:48 PM
ahhhhh....that would make more sense. mr. ejrfan?
Posted By: Brettski Re: Predatory Bird Control - 07/15/06 01:36 AM
DIED,
Yep, that's kinda where I am at. The boss and I have been working for 7 years to get Martins to begin a colony at our home. We just started getting some limited success 3 years ago. Last year we had a very dedicated nesting pair, tho we are uncertain as to the fate of their 4 hatchlings...a real mystery/long story. Anyway, this year, another pair with 7 eggs, then 4 hatchlings, then fledging. \:\) \:\)
They only eat insects (that I know of). The only time I see agressive behavior is when ANY bird tries to get close to their gourd, even before eggs. They can be very territorial close to their home, especially with their own species.
This time of year, they are starting to gather into larger hoardes to begin the trek back south sometime in August. Perhaps this is what ejr eludes to...he has a Marti-parti.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Predatory Bird Control - 07/15/06 05:52 PM
ejrfan,

Two words: Please elaborate.
Posted By: ejrfan Re: Predatory Bird Control - 07/16/06 11:47 AM
LOL Yes they scare off every bird that comes near my pond. I started with one box last year and seen them in action. I set up three more houses this spring and now have nearly 50 martins patroling my pond.The best thing about it all is just sitting and watching with a cold POP in hand.
Posted By: Brettski Re: Predatory Bird Control - 07/16/06 12:10 PM
ejrfan...
Thanks for checking back...we were beginning to worry that you may need a new bird identification handbook. Thanks for being a good PM landlord. I hope and dream of having your PM territorial dilemna...it's a hidden blessing.
Posted By: bobad Re: Predatory Bird Control - 07/16/06 02:04 PM
I can vouch for PM agressiveness. The little guys are totally fearless, and will chase ANYTHING out of their territory. Blackbirds are my worst problem right now, and a couple of PM condo's should take care of the problem.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Predatory Bird Control - 07/16/06 09:56 PM
So you've seen them actually run (fly) off Great Blue Herons?
Posted By: bobad Re: Predatory Bird Control - 07/16/06 10:34 PM
They will mob anything that flies in their territory, including hawks, egrets, ospreys, crows, and even model airplanes. If a GBH gets in and lands he may be safe, but I'm not sure about that. I am sure he will be mobbed on the way in and out. The down side of PM's is they don't nest year around.
Posted By: Brettski Re: Predatory Bird Control - 07/16/06 10:43 PM
If a GBH landed within 50 feet of a PM nest, there would be heck to pay. Bobad's right. They start hitting our area around April and begin building a nest in May. At this point, the territorial traits come out. This will continue until mid June thru July...until all the hatchlings have fledged. Even then, tho, they will often continue to hang around the nesting stomping grounds, still exhibiting territorial protection, tho not as agressive. Then, in August they start thinking "south", gather in hoardes (at ejrfan's place), and pack their bags.
Posted By: ejrfan Re: Predatory Bird Control - 07/16/06 11:15 PM
They swoop down and sreetch at the herons if they make it to the ground. I like to watch them go after kingfishers when they set up for a dive. I do need some help with the name of a bird though. I live in southern Ohio and get a long beeked black predatory bird that walks the shore line. It is about the size of a crow. Any ideas?
Posted By: PondsForFun Re: Predatory Bird Control - 07/16/06 11:41 PM
Would this be your bird? A green heron!

Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Predatory Bird Control - 07/17/06 12:29 AM
We definitely have Green Herons here in Ohio.
Posted By: KGP Re: Predatory Bird Control - 07/19/06 05:12 AM
 Quote:
Originally posted by bobad:
They will mob anything that flies in their territory... even model airplanes.
Oh boy, I'm getting a PM codo this week. New fun down on the ranch! \:D
Posted By: ejrfan Re: Predatory Bird Control - 07/22/06 12:59 AM
That is it. Easy to identify. Some peices are missing but it is laying on edge of the pond. His fishing days are over.
Posted By: Waterloo Re: Predatory Bird Control - 07/22/06 04:11 AM
I found this site that has some good information on attracting and keeping purple martins: http://www.purplemartin.org/main/mgt.html. It's worth a shot!
Posted By: Waterloo Re: Predatory Bird Control - 07/22/06 04:12 AM
Sorry, try this link to http://purplemartin.org
© Pond Boss Forum