Pond Boss
Posted By: Keith Price Bermuda Grass - 07/10/06 03:25 PM
I will be planting some bermuda grass around my pond and in the new pasture within the next few weeks. After doing research, I see that there are hulled or un-hulled with both being coated or non-coated. Any suggestions as to what is best to plant in Southwest Louisiana?

Any idea where to get seeds? I just tried seedland.com but they are sold out.
Posted By: cwooten Re: Bermuda Grass - 07/10/06 06:19 PM
My Dad just gave me 50 pounds yesterday and he said that the hulled will sprout sooner. I am ordering rolled burlap to put down over them to keep them moist longer and to help slow down erosion. That is all I know about the seed. He got the seed (ordered) from a local fertilizer company but I think any feed store should be able to get them.

Good luck, Craig Wooten
Posted By: eddie_walker Re: Bermuda Grass - 07/10/06 09:29 PM
I was just talking to the guy who owns the farm supply store I go to. He said that he sells the hulled bermuda grass for $225 for 50 pounds and it's much better if you can get it in the ground and watered.

If you can't water it, then he said to use the hulled seed so that it wont rot on you.

I bought 25 pounds of hulled seed by Pennington at Sam's club for $50 and thought that was a pretty good price, but than I read that it's only half seed. The rest is fill material.

I'm gonna get that hulled stuff from my farm store and plant it before a big storm and take my chances that the storm actually happens.

Eddie
Posted By: fishinglth Re: Bermuda Grass - 07/11/06 02:51 AM
I just purchased 25 pounds of Hulled Bermuda for $122.50. This included shipping. I have had great success with this company and they will ship the same day.
Turner Seed Co.
211 CR 151
Breckenridge, TX 76424
800-722-8616 Bus
254-559-5024 Fax
Turnerseed.com
Posted By: james holt Re: Bermuda Grass - 07/11/06 07:20 PM
Keith what are you doing to prepare the soil for the seed? I have a pature that I wanted to seed in bermuda and was wondering what all needed to be done to plant it? I know first that I need to have some rain.
Posted By: bobad Re: Bermuda Grass - 07/11/06 08:05 PM
The better you prep your soil, the better it will do. If you're patient, it doesn't take a lot of prep. I've done everything up to disking, drying, raking powdering and seeding. I've done as little as making 1 pass with a light disk harrow and seeding. Both worked great, but the more work you put into it, the quicker your results. Of course the weather will have a huge effect on it, no matter which way you go. I recommend turf varities like Sahara, Yuma, and Mohawk. Avoid pasture varities like Cheyenne and Giant. They grow too darn tall!
Posted By: Keith Price Re: Bermuda Grass - 07/12/06 06:46 AM
I am having a guy come in that has a heavy disc that he uses in his rice fields. He is going to disc the entire pasture and laser level the ground before my pond is excavated. As the guys who are digging my pond dump the dirt, he is going to be spreading and leveling the new dirt. Once he is through, I should have a good seed bed with no grass at all over the 3.5 acres and around my pond. Starting from scratch like that should make the seeding much easier.
Posted By: LakeL Re: Bermuda Grass - 07/12/06 02:06 PM
I had my countractor use 10% bermuda and 90% maze.............spread and than covered it with old hay just barely covering it..........worked great on the slopes............2 years latter great grass!
© Pond Boss Forum