Pond Boss
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Do Mallards eat filamentous algae? - 04/12/06 02:08 AM
I have a pair of mallards that come and go in all of my ponds including one I just refilled that only has some filamentous algae on the bottom. They seem to be eating it or they are picking off snails.

Could they be eating the algae?
Posted By: KGP Re: Do Mallards eat filamentous algae? - 04/12/06 04:15 PM
 Quote:
Originally posted by Cecil Baird1:
I have a pair of mallards...

Could they be eating the algae?
Yes. I have even read a story where one pond owner introduced some ducks for the purpose of controlling algae on their pond.
Posted By: Shorty Re: Do Mallards eat filamentous algae? - 04/12/06 04:22 PM
I have seen hen mallards eat small freshly dead blugill of the surface before.
Posted By: bz Re: Do Mallards eat filamentous algae? - 04/12/06 04:59 PM
I've read claims that a few mallards can help control algae and duck weed. I have had years where there are only accasional visiting wild mallards to years where I've raised a half dozen mallards that lived in my 1/2 acre pond. I've never seen any noticable reduction in FA or duck weed as a result of having the mallards. I know they eat some of it but it can't be much.
Posted By: TROLL Re: Do Mallards eat filamentous algae? - 04/13/06 01:24 AM
bz. Algae control, over the last several years I have good luck with product called Greenex, I also thinks it help keep the duck weed in control. Check out this site

http://nutritekinc.com/NWS2/Nutritek%20I...0Repellent.html

They also have products for insect control,all natural Garlic Shield

Troll
Posted By: Dwight Re: Do Mallards eat filamentous algae? - 04/15/06 04:50 AM
I have some large geese that I will donate to fertilize that algae so the Mallards have more to do. :p
Domesticated mallards will eat more FA than wild ones. Wild mallards tend to eat more FA when other foods are in short supply. I keep 8 domesticated mallards on my pond just to control the FA. They do a very good job.
Posted By: bz Re: Do Mallards eat filamentous algae? - 04/16/06 05:04 AM
Troll, thanks for the tip. I've tried other bacterial treatments but I'm afraid I can't afford to apply them the way your supposed to. I can't say that I've seen much benefit but perhaps if I never used them I'd have more problems. I didn't find a price on the Greenex.
© Pond Boss Forum