Pond Boss
Posted By: n8ly furnace filter for spawning? - 04/13/06 02:25 AM
I was told by a fish hatchery last year to randomly place furnace filters weighted with bricks in my pond. he said the bluegills and crappies would spawn on them. and that the survival rate would be drastically higher.

any thoughts?

I have tons more questions, so hopefully yall dont get sick of me too soon. i just heard of pond boss last week, and am anxiously awaiting my new subscription.
Posted By: ewest Re: furnace filter for spawning? - 04/13/06 03:19 AM
n8ly :

Welcome to the PB forum. Good for you for ordering the mag and ask all the questions you want. You may want to get familiar with the search feature. You can use it to find many answers.

I know that some spawning projects done by fisheries biologists use spawning fabric or mats but I have not heard of furnace filters being used. In those studies I don't recall the hatch rate being drastically higher. If the filters are made of fiberglass I would want to be sure before I put that in my pond. Here is a link to a small mesh net used for spawning.

http://www.sdafs.org/reservoir/manuals/habitat/othspawn.htm
Posted By: n8ly Re: furnace filter for spawning? - 04/19/06 02:23 AM
well, i guess i will try them out this spring and report back later this summer.
© Pond Boss Forum