Pond Boss
Posted By: darrell stringer number of feeders - 03/13/06 04:24 AM
5 acre pond and feeding the blue gill with one feeder. i guess i need to add another feeder to feed a large % of the blue gill and to let feeding replace a large part of the fertilizing? right?

darrell stringer
Posted By: george Re: number of feeders - 03/13/06 11:48 AM
Darrell, we have two Stren (now AquaPro) feeders on a two acre pond that works well for us, and we may add a third

This is likely overkill but observing the feeding fish is almost as much fun as catchng them..... \:\)

I don't know how many feeders are necessary but maybe one of the pros will weigh in.

George glazener
N.E. Texas
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: number of feeders - 03/13/06 11:56 AM
I think another feeder would help but feeders need to properly placed. Lots of people are guilty of placing feeders, in convenient places, where they want them, instead of figuring where the bluegills hang out. With 5 acres, you could justify having more than 2 feeders but there is a financial breaking point on everything.

I'm not sure there is any correlation between feeding any fertilizing. If a sechi disk says your water is infertile, you should consider fertilizing. If it doesn't, I certainly wouldn't do it.
Posted By: george Re: number of feeders - 03/13/06 12:08 PM
In addtion to Dave's suggestion as to determining where the BG hang out, it depends on what other species you want to feed.

One of our feeders is in a BG location in fairly shallow water and the other near deeper water near the dam, primarily for feeding HSB.

It's interesting that the BG like the HSB feeder as well ... the pestky CC will find the feed no matter where the feeders are placed.... \:\(
Posted By: Greg Grimes Re: number of feeders - 03/13/06 01:02 PM
I agree with DD. If you want to maximize production of the pond I suggest fertilzing if visibility dicitates. A side benefit to feeding is that it for sure reduces the amount of fertilizer necesary to keep a good "bloom". Many state publications will tell you not to feed and fertilize. However as long as you understand what you are doing no better way to ensure max production.

Like mentioned it depends on speceis. If feeding mutiple species the more feeders the better chance for bluegill to feed awhile before CC of hyrbrids takeover. Yep bluegill being a prey species will not travel far to get food, so depends on shape of 5 acre pond. If elongated with lots of shoreline you might have 4 and still not feed some BG, but with diff shape 2 might just work. Also as mentioned figure your budget on fish food prior to setting them up.
© Pond Boss Forum