Pond Boss
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Now I've seen it all! - 02/18/06 01:20 AM
Live minnows for bait shipped Fed Ex! Shiners, fatheads, rosey red fatheads, goldfish and other species.

http://www.andersonminnows.com/fish_farm_species.htm
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Now I've seen it all! - 02/18/06 01:31 AM
Another deal, Cecil.

Bass Pro Shops sells minnows from an outdoor vending machine. How? I don't know but they sell them during Texas summers so there has to be some serious chilling of the water. One of the clerks said that TPWD was stocking it but I have trouble believing that.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Now I've seen it all! - 02/18/06 01:38 AM
Does anyone have an idea what species the black salty bait fish is? Has anyone seen one up close? How big do they get if they do not become fish food?
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Now I've seen it all! - 02/18/06 01:40 AM
 Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Cody:
Does anyone have an idea what species the black salty bait fish is? Han anyone seen one up close? How big do they get if they do not become fish food?
Good question Bill. Maybe one of us should call them and find out.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Now I've seen it all! - 02/18/06 01:41 AM
Bill and Cecil,

Cyprinidae
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Now I've seen it all! - 02/18/06 01:43 AM
Bruce what do you mean by Cyprinidae?
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Now I've seen it all! - 02/18/06 01:44 AM
carp
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Now I've seen it all! - 02/18/06 01:45 AM
Are you guessing from the photo?
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Now I've seen it all! - 02/18/06 01:47 AM
I've had them in my hands. They're little carp/goldfish bred for color. I'm not sure what the big deal is. I've caught all sorts of fish, especially walleye using goldfish for bait.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Now I've seen it all! - 02/18/06 01:53 AM
Black salty

Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Now I've seen it all! - 02/18/06 01:59 AM
They looked like drab colored goldfish in the photo. Can they cross goldfish and carp? If so I am not sure what the advantage of that fish would be. Thanks for posting the photo.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Now I've seen it all! - 02/18/06 02:02 AM
There is a carp X goldfish cross.

Here's one link..

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query...2&dopt=Abstract
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Now I've seen it all! - 02/18/06 02:15 AM
Another black salty

This one's got lots of goldfish in him.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Now I've seen it all! - 02/18/06 02:20 AM
You already saw this picture on the black salty website.

Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Now I've seen it all! - 02/18/06 02:22 AM
Lusk posted some time back about the Black Salty. I don't recall the details but believe they weren't all that exotic.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Now I've seen it all! - 02/18/06 02:23 AM
Goldfish is same family (cyprinidae) as common carp but different genus and species. I'd have to say in reviewing the three pictures above that this fish is more goldfish than common carp. If I'm not mistaken goldfish are Chinese effort to domesticate common carp and are resultant from same parentage. Could be wrong on this one.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Now I've seen it all! - 02/18/06 02:25 AM
 Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Davidson1:
Lusk posted some time back about the Black Salty. I don't recall the details but believe they weren't all that exotic.
But they've been given an exotic name, so can be sold at an exotic price, right? ;\)
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Now I've seen it all! - 02/18/06 02:28 AM
I made a call and my source says they are goldfish with special color from a couple generations of selection. He could be wrong too. I'm wrong a lot.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Now I've seen it all! - 02/18/06 02:28 AM
Bruce, I ran into them at an outdoors show. They were making a lot of noise about them. As I recall, they were in short supply at Lake Texhoma and were setting the hook on all of the striper guides.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Now I've seen it all! - 02/18/06 02:32 AM
 Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Davidson1:
...setting the hook on all of the striper guides.
Great analogy. Very funny. \:D
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Now I've seen it all! - 02/18/06 02:38 AM
Quote from Lusk:

I know those guys. I like them. They are honest. Black Saltys are dark goldfish, from the carp family. They have been selectively bred to live a bit longer than "normal" goldfish in saltwater. The biggest market is along the gulf coast, for bait for fishermen chasing redfish and speckled trout.
I don't suggest them in a recreational lake. They are goldfish.
Posted By: Bob Lusk Re: Now I've seen it all! - 02/18/06 04:21 AM
It's a marketing thing...the claim is that they have a higher tolerance to salt water than "normal" dark colored goldfish.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Now I've seen it all! - 02/18/06 01:36 PM
Definitely one more argument against allowing live bait minnows to be use in your pond.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Now I've seen it all! - 06/16/06 08:09 PM
Here's a reason you might not want Cyprinidae in your pond.

Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Now I've seen it all! - 06/16/06 09:38 PM
Bruce, now that is one ugly fish. I've often thought that there were no bad fish, just misplaced ones. That thing has changed my mind.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Now I've seen it all! - 06/16/06 11:01 PM
Scale, Bruce? How big is that ugly thing?
Posted By: burgermeister Re: Now I've seen it all! - 06/16/06 11:28 PM
Is that the elusive 'Siamese Fighting Carp"?
Posted By: Rad Re: Now I've seen it all! - 06/16/06 11:52 PM
That is what happens when the septic is too close to the pond.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Now I've seen it all! - 06/17/06 01:55 AM
This is what happens when goldfish enjoy the company of carp.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Now I've seen it all! - 06/17/06 02:25 AM
 Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Condello:
This is what happens when goldfish enjoy the company of carp.
Or a gold fish that reverts back to carp colors?

It's also suffering from a sever case of septicemia or some other bacterial infection.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Now I've seen it all! - 06/17/06 03:51 AM
I believe he's also suffering from an arrow through the noggin. ;\)
Posted By: burgermeister Re: Now I've seen it all! - 06/17/06 03:57 AM
\:D \:D and that trumps the "sever case of septicemia"
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Now I've seen it all! - 06/17/06 04:07 AM
I'll confess. I got that photo off of the Nebraska Game and Parks forum. Somebody pulled it off of a bowhunting website. It's definitely hideous. It's kind of a "Carps Gone Wild".
Posted By: Debra King Re: Now I've seen it all! - 06/17/06 04:37 AM

Has anyone considered a Betta fish that someone let loose in a pond. Burger may have guessed it right in his previous post. The coloration is different (and I am not familiar with the exact class they belong to), but the flowing fins, body shape, and mouth all fit into my hypothesis. Lots of folks throw aquarium fish into ponds and lakes.

Just throwing something out there for thought. Any thoughts???

Deb

edit: The Betta splendens, Siamese Fighting Fish, are a member of the Labyrinth Fish Family. Betta antoni is a member of the akarensis group and is distinguished by its black lower lip and black chin bar, and slim body profile.

Betta mandor is a member of the foerschi group and can be identified by its slim shape and presence of two red bars on the gill cover.

Betta krataios is believed to be a member of the Betta dimidiata group and has a distinctive iridescent blue operculum, and more predorsal and lateral scales than other members of the group, as well as lacking the extended fin rays seen in some other species in the complex.

Betta ideii differs from other species in the Betta unimaculata group in having a characteristic orange marking between the front of the eye and the upper jaw. Betta compuncta is also a member of the unimaculata group and has a distinctive black reticulated pattern above the base of the anal fins of females and young fish, or a black patch in males. There's also a yellow-orange marking on the tail of females of this species.

Betta uberis is a member of the coccina group and has distinctive green streaks on the dorsal, anal and tail fins as well as an iridescent green mid-lateral spot, which is seen in most members of the species group.

Interesting fish to ponder over Bruce. Could it be a Betta who lost its vibrant colors due to its environment, or could it even be a hybrid. My curiosity is at an all time high (that or my meds for strep throat have ME at an all time HIGH, :p )
Posted By: bassandgrass Re: Now I've seen it all! - 06/18/06 03:30 AM
Definately not a betta. Looks more like a long fin goldfish.
© Pond Boss Forum