Pond Boss
Posted By: Frank Lusk Otto and Davidson seen in Georgia - 02/05/06 03:15 AM
We had a GREAT meeting Saturday Feb 4 in Ga at Lake Sovereign. We had 25 pondmeisters attend and had a fantastic session with Bob, Mike, and Dave. A photo of the group can be seen at

http://www.frankpinkston.com/ga_meeting.jpg

I will post more photos as soon as I recover from digesting all the great information!

Frank
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Lusk Otto and Davidson seen in Georgia - 02/05/06 03:29 AM
WE need smaller group photos so you can list the name of attendees. How did you get Ted Lea from Ohio there? Special trip or was he already in the south? Who traveled the farthest to get to the meeting.
The guy with the American flag hat and sun glasses use to be known as Mike Otto now after this photo he is just called "Super Cool"
Which one is Eric?
Guy in front standing with the gray sweatshirt, Eric is the person to his left. A finer Southern gentleman you will never meet.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Lusk Otto and Davidson seen in Georgia - 02/05/06 03:50 AM
Good photo Frank. Looks like it was a great gathering and fun time.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Lusk Otto and Davidson seen in Georgia - 02/05/06 04:32 AM
I'd like to put names with all the faces.
Posted By: Frank Re: Lusk Otto and Davidson seen in Georgia - 02/05/06 04:42 AM
Bill Cody

I have a bunch more photos that I will post later that show more detail.

I second and third Duggan's comment about Eric - I sincerely enjoyed meeting Eric and appreciated his patience as he, my wife and I navigated the challenges of the Cherokee county road system (inside joke). He has promised to let me in on his secret sources for the wonderful and informative research he finds for us.

Ted Lea and Cary Martin travelled the longest distance by car - and I guess Lusk et al by air.
Ted and Cary generously donated an AirPod One aeration system as one of the many door prizes. Congratulations to Warren Gilbert who walked away with that!

Phyllis Lea did youman's work as our local hostess at Lake Sovereign. It was a great place for a meeting and we even got so see Grimes run his shocker boat and see Davidson TRY to net shocked fish.

I am still fired up. Let's do it again next weekend!

Frank
Posted By: Jersey Re: Lusk Otto and Davidson seen in Georgia - 02/05/06 02:50 PM
A great time was had by all. Thanks to everyone who made this possible.
What a blast! LOTS of information was shared, and it was nice to finally put faces with names. I learned so much that I have to go back to bed right now to recover. Thanks to everyone who took time out of their busy lives to attend.

PS Frank: I think we should at least skip a few weeks until getting together again. \:D

Here are my three favorite photos:

Otto and Eric weigh out the long trip versus the benefits. They decide it was WELL worth it.

Duggan finds a Georgia Giant in his sub sandwich while Jack ponders if he actually ate one too. :p

ALL TIME FAVORITE: Lusk takes a bite out of "pond management" crime

Hope everyone had safe trip home. It was a pleasure meeting each and every one of you.

Deb
I had forgot about Bob showing what a largemouth bass looks like
We have learned so much from Bob Lusk. I, for one, did not know mouths could open that way.
Well this just might be my longest post ever. I cannot express in words what a great time I had. The only change I can suggest for future meetings around the globe is to make it two days. There was so much great info it takes two days to cover it all.

I don’t even know where to start with a recap. It was first great just to see the folks you chat with on the forum. Problem was I did not get to talk to them as much as I would have liked too. It was amazing the passion and knowledge in this room. I will tell you this I have been to 10 or more American Fisheries Society and Lake Society meetings, and I learned more about pond management in 2 hours here than all those meeting combined. Simply amazing!

Something pretty ironic. Remember one of our last talks about 4:45 regarding beavers. Well I missed a call at 4:50 when my guy called and left a message he had just pulled out a beaver from our traps a few hundred yds away at the upper end of the lake. I giant one at that. If I would have caught the call he could have brought it by the clubhouse. He estimates it weighed closed to 80 lbs and Phyllis is getting it mounted. Just had to share that.

The one thing I regret is the fact at the end a few folks wanted to see the shock boat in action. It was great having Davidson up there even to spite the cold wind. BUT When I was finished 30 mins later most everyone was gone. I did not get to say goodbye so here goes:

Deb- shot me an email and we can talk about what you mentioned. Yep folks we had a couple of fun jabs but got along great in public and had a good private conversation as well.

Big Jake- where is your pond? I thought Cuthbert if so I’m heading that way on the 13th. Let me know if you want to meet me. Great to see you.

Randy- give us a holler in the a few months. Look forward to seeing the lake.

Cary- thanks again for stopping by the house and I wish you the best in your business, get me that packet of info.

Ted- sorry I did not get you the attractors, you should have at least grabbed the one in the yard. Great talk!

Jersey- I wish you the best with the pond. Send me an email and I will help find you the pond builder list.

Eric- I said good bye but really a pleasure meeting you. I wanted to ask you a few things but ran out of time. I will pick your brain soon if you don’t mind. Thanks again for dinner.

Rick- let me know if you come to GA and I will join you for a turkey hunt. I might even get you on some good private land if we are lucky. The lake I shocked was in Eden, NC.

Johnny- Man great seeing you again. I spoke with Stan btw. Tell the wife I said hello.

Wayne- nice to meet you and your “banker” and hope the fertilizer works out.

Troy- start posting more and I need one of those maps back, please.

Otto- So sorry to not say goodbye. I wish you could have gotten in more time because I was soaking it up. Thanks for making the long trip.

David Pendergrass- good to meet you. BTW I just got home from meeting Kevin Krueger at his Dads lake house. When talking about their lake your name came up. Let me know if we can help with those catfish.

Bob- I never got you that food label. It was in my pocket. 44% protein, 18% fat and fish meal listed close to top of ingredients. Made in Andrews, NC. Great to meet you!

JB sorry you did not make it. You would have loved it. Same for you Big-Pond I hope the Superbowl turns out well for you in a couple of hours.

I could hardly sleep last night thanking about all the info we gathered and questions I never got to ask. Some may disagree but think it is a sign of a good meeting when you leave with more questions than answers, that is pond mgmt for you. Thanks everyone!
BTW we did not want to post the names but have everyone guess who is who in the pictures.
Posted By: ewest Re: Lusk Otto and Davidson seen in Georgia - 02/05/06 09:15 PM
We had a great time and I just wish the rest of you could have attended. We owe a great debt of gratitude to Frank , Phyllis and Bill who made all of it possible with their efforts to plan and bring the meeting together and Bob and Mike for their efforts to impart knowledge. Greg for the electroshock survey and Dave for manning the front net. Thanks from all of us who benifited from your efforts.
Greg funny you say that about sleeping last night, I was so fired up about yesterday it took me hours after I got home to be able to settle down and relax. Great day
Posted By: Frank Re: Lusk Otto and Davidson seen in Georgia - 02/05/06 09:31 PM
Here is the group photo.

Posted By: Ric Swaim Re: Lusk Otto and Davidson seen in Georgia - 02/05/06 10:52 PM
Well, this was a first for me. I've never taken the plunge to personally meet someone I met on line before.
I had some expectations. But this group blew them away! Wonderful bunch of people! Passionate about ponds!

The professionals there were outstanding!

If your impression of Lusk from his writings here & his books is knowledgeable then you're right. But he's much more! Very pasionate about this business, humble, personable, thoughtful, funny, & commands athority! Rare qualities in one individual!

Otto espouses with decisive intelligent insight into dirt moving dam & pond building & intuitive insight to problem solving of same. It's also obvious he's a hard worker. He also should be commended for his patients in teaching Dave Davidson his letters.

Grimes impresses. Like Otto Greg gives the impression of someone who isn't comfortable just sitting around. He's a hustler in the good sense of the word. You don't get a good feel for his knowledge here in his posts. He has said he does better in person & believe me he does! I was impressed!

Ted Lea knows his business! Just like his posts here indicate he is dedicated to helping pond owners. Through much trial & error & personal testing he knows what works in aeration & what doesn't. You can take his advice to the bank!

Cary Martin like Ted is a great guy! He gave a great presentation on aeration not to mention donating a system for a door prize! Cary is full of information & inovations reguarding aeration!

Deb is a very nice lady & seems sincere & pasionate about learning & using the knowledge you all have poured in that pretty head of hers to do it right in the business. She gave a great presentation on the GG as a nich fish. She has more knowledge than she let's on. Everyone walked away with a GG catalog & a bag of fish food!

It was something to meet everyone! Just a great bunch of guys!

BTW, ewest doesn't just post all that research, he's got that stuff in his head!
Hey Ric, Mike tries hard and means well but he just hasn't really got the experience to further my education. Bless his heart, he tries real hard.

BTW, the guy in the striped hat and shades is Snoopy doing his Joe Cool imitation.
Posted By: Frank Re: Lusk Otto and Davidson seen in Georgia - 02/06/06 12:05 AM
Here are some more photos

Frank

Really want to thank Roy and Phyllis Lea for their hospitality.
Posted By: Ric Swaim Re: Lusk Otto and Davidson seen in Georgia - 02/06/06 12:16 AM
 Quote:
Really want to thank Roy and Phyllis Lea for their hospitality.
I 2nd that Dave! They orginized it well!

BTW that's Dave D 2nd from the left in the third pic. He's sitting beside Otto. They were a hoot togeather! \:D
Dave it's SUPER COOL
Jeez and crackers Frank couldn't you have done a little photoshop editing (slimming me down) before posting those pics. I know I need to drop about 50 plus pounds, but I did not realize I could make a new Chick-Fil-A ad with the cows the company presently uses. Wake up call... HELLO Jenny Craig! \:\(

Other than that minor flaw in your camera's malfunction (ha ha), thanks again to you, Phyllis, and Duggan for stepping up to the plate and hitting a homerun with this event.

edit: I am still not sure if Dave was kidding or not when he asked what a shut off valve was on a drain pipe.
As usual, Eric West (Ewest in the comics) kept his mouth mostly shut. But when he did offer something, it was from his wide and deep experience plus was well said. He is much more than a researcher and pretty face.

He is the one that is 5th from the left in the third picture.
Posted By: ewest Re: Lusk Otto and Davidson seen in Georgia - 02/06/06 01:28 AM
Dave :

The folks that came did so to here Bob and Mike not me. You and I had our questions asked and answered at DFW and it was only fair to let the others have a chance. I try to remember a statement that Pres. Johnson is credited with asking one of his staff when he talked to much --" Boy how are you ever going to learn anything if your always talking?". \:D
To all, thank you for such a learning experience. I agree with Greg when I say that one day was not near enough. I did not want it to stop.

I came away with many more questions especially when I had 5 hours to think about them in the truck on the way back home.

Bob, thank you for all your wealth of information and education. You amaze me with your ease of pulling out that information at just the right time. I would like to model myself using the pasion you have for pond management.

Otto, I need to get with you about my Dam problem here. If you recall the plugged pipe that is compromised and is allowing water to pass on the outside of the pipe. I don't want my customer to go through the dam break that you all discussed. Let me know if you have anyone you can suggest up here.

Rick, I look forward to catching up with you next time. Us North Carolinians will have to arrange this up here next time. I have a great venue to do it in.

Deb, you are too critical on yourself, the kissing Gronmies are perfect for your personality. You do know more than you let on. Biology is so much more fun than Manufactured Homes!

Mr. Gilbert, as I mentioned, I will personally come down and istall the system for you and we will work on where and when in the near future. I will work with Greg if you would like.

Greg, great place! Entreprenuership is what makes this country grow. Just like I mentioned with Bob, I try to learn from others who have much more experience than I and I was very impressed with your experience and how you have grown your company. Get with me about the Deer feeders and I will have a binder out your way on Monday.

Ted, you know how much I appreciate your help with the presentation and the detailed information on circuation rates when it was needed. You are like a human calculator. Also thank you for bringing the other equipment for display.

Frank, I will look over your chemisties on Monday and get with you for additional information on your pond.

To all, I thought I had a grasp on general pond management but I learned that I have to increase my knowledge on construction and fisheries. I have the aeration part down pat if anyone left with any questions on that one.

Can't wait until the next one!
Posted By: Frank Re: Lusk Otto and Davidson seen in Georgia - 02/06/06 02:49 AM
Cary,

Thanks. I am glad you made it home safely. I sent you an email.

When I started organizing the meeting, I never dreamed if would be so fantastic and attendence would be so good!

I agree on the suggestion for 2 days!

Frank
Posted By: Big Jake Re: Lusk Otto and Davidson seen in Georgia - 02/06/06 04:08 AM
Thanks to all that were involved in putting this togeather.This is an awesome sight and after meeting all the folks at the meeting it is easy to understand why. One thing about folks that enjoy fishing and the great outdoors and that is that we all have similar values when it come to the outdoors and in most cases we are a friendly honest group of people. I had a great time on Saturday and it was my pleasure getting to meet each of you.
Posted By: Bob Lusk Re: Lusk Otto and Davidson seen in Georgia - 02/06/06 05:20 AM
It's quite humbling to be in the presence of so many thoughtful and passionate people. It's also an honor to be able to share my passion and years on the job training with folks who sincerely care about it. The Georgia meeting was well organized and well rounded. We had lots of information (almost too much to absorb), plenty of humor (look at Deb's photo of yours truly...I really didn't think she would pull the trigger on that one), lots of laughs...but also lots of sincere friendships renewed and made. Pond Boss is a family of friends. Never, in my wildest dreams, in 1991, when McDonald and I conceived this thing did we think it would grow into such a tight knit group.
On a personal note...next I have the honor of meeting Bruce Condello, Dr. Dave Willis, Shorty and some others. Headed to Nebraska tomorrow.
I love this stuff.
A huge "Group Thanks" goes out to all of you.We enjoyed every minute of it and made the 1200 mile round trip more than worth it as we knew it would.Arrived back in Ohio Sunday late PM with a nite out spent in snowy Jellico TN.If I start with all of the individual "Thanks" that are needed I will may leave someone out and this post will be very very lengthy.So again thanks (Terri is giving you all a group HUG)to all for a time that was filled with more information than one can take in, in one short day. I agree with Bob and the rest of you that to see and feel the passion by everyone about our ponds,tanks and lakes is very special.We made and renewed great friendships with every one of you.The PondBoss family of friends may have ponds in common but appears to me to be such a high quality of people in general that we are fortunate enough to have our love of water give us these opportunities to meet.Thanks again to all of you, Ted & Terri Lea
Posted By: pplea Re: Lusk Otto and Davidson seen in Georgia - 02/06/06 05:40 PM
Wow!!! What a meeting... I learned more about lakes, ponds, dams, spillways, too much water, too little water, fish, fish habitat, fish structure, fish co-existing, water plants, aeration, lime, fertilization, etc etc on Saturday than I have in the last six years I've been trying to research all this information.

There was so much knowledge and experience in the room, it was just awesome... A big "Thank You" to all who put the meeting together and all who attended. Special thanks to Bob, Mike, Dave, Frank, Bill, Eric and Greg. It was an honor to have you come to Lake Sovereign.

Mike: These are a couple of websites that give information on and discuss our our labyrinth spillway.

http://www.flow3d.com/pdfs/10-04.pdf
http://www.waco-texas.com/brazosdesign.htm

I think Schnabel Engineering in Alpharetta, Ga (770) 781-8008 was the first to build that type spillway and they designed and built ours.

I'm looking forward to another Ga. meeting in the future and I'll vote for the two days.... There was so much information I'm still trying to digest it all.

Thanks again and take care,

Phyllis
Posted By: TopH2O Re: Lusk Otto and Davidson seen in Georgia - 02/07/06 03:27 AM
Okay it's been far too long since I posted anything on here. I'm guilty mainly of just getting out of the habit of reading the forums, but also to a certain extent of becoming complacent about thinking not that I know everything I need to about pond/lake management, but that I know most of what I need to about MY particular body of water. This weekend's seminar helped remind me that there are so many things constantly changing in the field/industry from new technologies to new conventional wisdom on various subjects, that it's foolish to ever think you know enough. Thanks to all who participated in a fantastic day, it was a wonderful experience!
Posted By: big_pond Re: Lusk Otto and Davidson seen in Georgia - 02/07/06 06:10 PM
Please!! lets have this again next YEAR!! I had to go to the super bowl this year....lets have this in March.
I was also thinking we need to have either bass pro shops OR Georgia out door news sponser this event. This is too good of an event not to have it again and have some of the big boys sponser this as well
We decided at the meeting to take a group photo and let everyone who did not attend guess at the names. I see that nobody has taken on that game yet. Any players out there? \:D

Here is the original list:

Number Attending and Name

1 Bill Duggan
1 Bill Thorpe
1 Bob Lusk
1 Calder Pinkston
1 Cary Martin
1 Cary McDaniel
1 Dave Davidson
1 David Pendergrast
1 Debra G. King
1 Eric West
2 Frank Pinkston
1 Greg Grimes
1 Hal Lelle
1 Jack Green
2 JB and Racquel Allen
2 Johnny Tanner
1 Mike Otto
1 Paul Williams
1 Phyllis Lea
2 Randy Cooper
1 Randy Edgar
1 Ric Swaim
1 Robert Coleman
2 Ted Lea
1 Troy Pugh
2 Warren and Lynda Gilbert
2 Wayne and Eloise Edwards
Posted By: Sunil Re: Lusk Otto and Davidson seen in Georgia - 02/08/06 03:35 AM
Well Deb, I will comment in this fashion:

List of those who I think I recognize, or who was identified....

Bill Duggan (identified)
Lusk
Dave Davidson (from photo on GG's boat)
Deb (seen your photo)
Eric West (identified)
Frank Pinkston (from his website)
Grimes (from his website)
Otto (from the magazine)

And that's it for me. So whenever you all are ready, it'll be nice to put names to faces.

Did anyone go out for drinks?
Posted By: pplea Re: Lusk Otto and Davidson seen in Georgia - 02/08/06 11:14 AM
I used to deliver GON (Georgia Outdoor News) back when the boys were teenagers and I wanted to be at home with them. GON and The Dugout/Kennesaw Bait Company would be excellent sponsors...

Phyllis
Sunil your right some identified already so of those who post often left unclaimed Redgar, big jake, cary martin, ted lea, ric swaim, jersey. Sunil you sure you found me, I'm a little hairier than website photos?
Posted By: Sunil Re: Lusk Otto and Davidson seen in Georgia - 02/08/06 01:51 PM
Greg, the photo of you and DD on the shock boat was the giveaway there.

Your shock boat looks a tad dangerous. I fear you might capsize if everyone was on the control box side.
Posted By: Frank Re: Lusk Otto and Davidson seen in Georgia - 02/08/06 03:00 PM
Sunil

the shock boat handled the 20+mph wind even with Dave leaning over to net the fish

Frank
 Quote:
Originally posted by Greg Grimes:
Sunil your right some identified already so of those who post often left unclaimed Redgar, big jake, cary martin, ted lea, ric swaim, jersey. Sunil you sure you found me, I'm a little hairier than website photos?
Hairier than your current photos, Greg, but I remember your "Nicholas Cage" period.
Greg you were identified when they found out you are related to Junior Samples
Posted By: Sunil Re: Lusk Otto and Davidson seen in Georgia - 02/08/06 05:12 PM
Frank, that's good to hear. It would have been a shame to lose Guvnor Davidson to the briney depths.
good stuff fellas. Yep Sunil wait till you see the new boat. Hope to have it ready in less than a month for spring shocking. The old boat has worked great though even on a 1800 acre lake in FLA. Yep the wife said the facial hair used to be 3 months now she said 6 months is too much. So back to shaving here soon. The gray in the beard is a sign of wisdom according to Lusk.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Lusk Otto and Davidson seen in Georgia - 02/08/06 05:47 PM
If you'll notice, Lusk's beard is gray just in the areas where Diet Mountain Dew dribbles out when he's indulging.
So it is with the gray in my beard, too, Sunil, but I must dribble a little less. \:D
Posted By: big_pond Re: Lusk Otto and Davidson seen in Georgia - 02/08/06 08:44 PM
SO folks are we going to do this next year or WHAT?? \:D
Posted By: big_pond Re: Lusk Otto and Davidson seen in Georgia - 02/08/06 08:51 PM
 Quote:
Originally posted by Debra King:
We decided at the meeting to take a group photo and let everyone who did not attend guess at the names. I see that nobody has taken on that game yet. Any players out there? \:D

Here is the original list:

Number Attending and Name

1 Bill Duggan
1 Bill Thorpe
1 Bob Lusk
1 Calder Pinkston
1 Cary Martin
1 Cary McDaniel
1 Dave Davidson
1 David Pendergrast
1 Debra G. King
1 Eric West
2 Frank Pinkston
1 Greg Grimes
1 Hal Lelle
1 Jack Green
2 JB and Racquel Allen
2 Johnny Tanner
1 Mike Otto
1 Paul Williams
1 Phyllis Lea
2 Randy Cooper
1 Randy Edgar
1 Ric Swaim
1 Robert Coleman
2 Ted Lea
1 Troy Pugh
2 Warren and Lynda Gilbert
2 Wayne and Eloise Edwards
Which one is you?
Big-POnd I think it might have to shift a little in location every year to be fair. However I would love to have it here again. As great as it was I can see how it could be even better. Really up to Lusk to see if he has the time to travel again. Maybe he will chime in after his most recent trip to let you know. Hope you had a good time in Detroit, those dang officals made in tough on Seattle.
OK Bigpond, Im front row left with my pond banker (wife) hang'n on !! \:\) Thats 2 down and a few more to go
Big Pond I'm in the brown leather jacket sitting next to Greg. :p The game here is to guess!!! \:D
 Quote:
Originally posted by Debra King:
Big Pond I'm in the brown leather jacket sitting next to Greg. :p The game here is to guess!!! \:D
I'd have never recognized you. You look a lot ... taller ... than on the Internet. :p \:D
Posted By: Frank Re: Lusk Otto and Davidson seen in Georgia - 02/09/06 12:20 AM
I am 7 from left in green and the organizer of the Ga meeting. It was Great!!

Frank
Quote by Theo: "I'd have never recognized you. You look a lot ... taller ... than on the Internet. :p \:D "

I look a lot skinner on the intenet too. Damn those fertility treatments. Although I would not trade one single fat cell for what those treatments gave me (my little Tadpole). \:\) \:\) \:\)

I'm actually standing on the back row beside Dave with my head cocked to one side. Wind must have been blowing pretty hard to get an empty noggin to tilt like that. :p
Posted By: Frank Re: Lusk Otto and Davidson seen in Georgia - 02/09/06 02:03 PM
big pond

I vote YES for doing this next year. I will volunteer again to organize it.

Frank
Posted By: big_pond Re: Lusk Otto and Davidson seen in Georgia - 02/09/06 07:34 PM
 Quote:
Originally posted by Frank:
big pond

I vote YES for doing this next year. I will volunteer again to organize it.

Frank
Well Frank we all should kick in this time you should not have to do this by your self....We all should kick in some money.. \:\)
I agree on All accounts. This should be a yearly thing, and we should all contribute. If we make it a two day event (as it needs to be), it will take more than the basic three individuals. Not to say they did not pull off a GREAT day, but it would be taxing on anyone (financially and otherwise) to push two days.
I have been thinking a lot about this event serving a dual purpose for attendees and future members. I have a good friend who writes for the associated press. It is possible that I can get him to cover at least a few hours next time. An article like that (spread nationwide) would do a lot to boost the pond boss website and subscriber list. That should financially boost the magazine and it's founders, as well as helping even more pond owners out there who aren't currently privy to the resources here.
Just a random thought (been having a lot of those since the meeting)!

Deb
Posted By: pplea Re: Lusk Otto and Davidson seen in Georgia - 02/10/06 12:00 AM
In the group photo, I'm on the far right with my hand on Wayne Edwards shoulder.

I'll be glad to help out in any way that I can if we have another meeting next year...

Thanks again,

Phyllis
Posted By: Bob Lusk Re: Lusk Otto and Davidson seen in Georgia - 02/10/06 02:47 AM
I'll play.
I've got the peanuts already soaking
Posted By: ewest Re: Lusk Otto and Davidson seen in Georgia - 02/11/06 12:39 AM
Bill :

Bill cooks some great p-nuts for those who don't know about them. If they are anywhere near as good as the ones you cooked last week you could make a good living selling them -- and not worry about the real estate buss. \:D \:\)
Seriously Dugan I consdier myself as somewhat expert on boiled peanuts I drove 92K on the pickup in 2003 around the SE and boiled peanuts are not only good but pass the time. My point is I have tried alot of 'em. I have got to say they were #2 all time the best was stand near Callaway Gardnes.

Just setup on Peachtree Corners and you can help pay for the new piece of real estate.
Posted By: Bob Lusk Re: Lusk Otto and Davidson seen in Georgia - 02/13/06 12:54 AM
Gotta tell ya...the driver at the airport saw Duggan's peanuts as we left the rental car place. Otto was eating a few, and the driver wanted to know where we got them. Otto told him, and the dang guy wanted them. Otto, not knowing how big a deal it was, offered them to the guy. He took them, like he hadn't eaten in months. Within minutes, everyone on the shuttle from the rental car place to the airport was eating Duggan's boiled peanuts. The most fun part was a woman who lived in Virginia. She loves boiled peanuts. Otto started talking with her, and found out she was from Muenster, Texas, down the road from Mike's hometown. He knew the woman's parents! He had built a pond for them. The driver absconded with the peanuts, shared them with several Virginians, and ate the rest. We laughed our tails off. It was a fun trip to Hartsfield Airport. Boiled peanuts. Who'd a thunk it? Duggan, you are the man!
Hey, the driver of the airport bus was only willing to share a little bit. Actually, he was kinda narrow minded about sharing the Dugganuts. Next year, Bill.
I just went back and re-read all of these posts and all of the Texas ones.

Wait'll next year. Duggan, look at goober futures on the commodity market. Planning, planning, planning.
Thanks guys Let's do the next meeting in August when I can get green(fresh) peanuts then I can beat Callaway Gardens,
Posted By: big_pond Re: Lusk Otto and Davidson seen in Georgia - 02/13/06 06:44 PM
August is the WORST time for us we have to get ready for football Camp.....It is the WORST time \:\( lets do it in the winter again but not on Super Bowl weekend....PLEASE!!!
Posted By: big_pond Re: Lusk Otto and Davidson seen in Georgia - 02/13/06 06:47 PM
 Quote:
Originally posted by Greg Grimes:
Big-POnd I think it might have to shift a little in location every year to be fair. However I would love to have it here again. As great as it was I can see how it could be even better. Really up to Lusk to see if he has the time to travel again. Maybe he will chime in after his most recent trip to let you know. Hope you had a good time in Detroit, those dang officals made in tough on Seattle.
That is cool it is the timeing that gets me the closer to summer it gets the worse it gets for me and my family....
Posted By: big_pond Re: Lusk Otto and Davidson seen in Georgia - 02/13/06 06:51 PM
Any thime in the Fall is BAD for me....What about the spring? March? April? May? Maybe June...?
Posted By: Big Jake Re: Lusk Otto and Davidson seen in Georgia - 02/13/06 10:10 PM
Hey Greg,

I am about 30 minutes south of Callaway Gardens just out side Columbus in Waverly Hall. Next time your down this way give me a call and I will meet you for lunch. (on me) That goes for all you guys/gals that may get down to my neck of the woods. Your all a great bunch of folks.

Bill Dugan, Your just down the road give me a hollar next time your in town. Maybe we can get over to Callaway Gardens and find out just how good those boiled peanuts are that Greg thinks are #1.

Big Jake
Big Jake you are on. Sounds like fun

Big Pond just kidding about August meeting, bad time for everybody
Posted By: Bob Lusk Re: Lusk Otto and Davidson seen in Georgia - 02/14/06 02:14 AM
Big_Pond...we need to have a catfish meeting just for you.
You name the time of the year, and I bet that my clients in the southern part of North Carolina would let us use their board room for a meeting. You are a valuable part of this forum, and you gotta have a meeting. What do you think? Anyone in NC, SC, and northeastern Georgia up for an east coast meeting?
big jake just drove past you. put 612 miles on the truck today. I was pretty slammed but will keep it mind if heading that way. i wnet all the way near lake seminole.
Posted By: Ric Swaim Re: Lusk Otto and Davidson seen in Georgia - 02/14/06 02:51 AM
You bet, I'm game!
So long as it's not turkey season. ;\)
Posted By: big_pond Re: Lusk Otto and Davidson seen in Georgia - 02/14/06 07:41 PM
 Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Lusk:
Big_Pond...we need to have a catfish meeting just for you.
You name the time of the year, and I bet that my clients in the southern part of North Carolina would let us use their board room for a meeting. You are a valuable part of this forum, and you gotta have a meeting. What do you think? Anyone in NC, SC, and northeastern Georgia up for an east coast meeting?
HECK yeah!!!! I am in all the way!!!

I think in the past few years I have been battleing the actual building of lakes more than ANYTHING ....It has been tough sledding for at least the past 3 years. My brother finshed a 2 acre lake that is 35 feet deep, and is presnetly working on a 45 acre lake. I finished a 10 acre lake that will not fill up 2 years ago and NOw about to em bark on yet ANOTHER lake to fill this on up......SHOOOOOOOwwww WEEEE!!! No time for the fun part of fish management.......

I just hope we can do this next year with even a bigger turn out....Have it at Greg Grimes place in Ball Ground. That would be real nice!! \:D
Posted By: Cathead Re: Lusk Otto and Davidson seen in Georgia - 02/16/06 10:43 PM
I haven't posted in a coon's age but I had to write and tell everyone how good the meeting was.
It was incredible to get this great group of people together to talk about ponds. I was very impressed with all the discussion and it was interesting to hear the different opinions on various topics.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone involved in putting this event together. It was a great success and I think a 2 day event next year would be most appropriate if possible.

I am in the picture standing above the guy with the "Star Spangled Banner Hat" (Otto) in the tan coat. I was glad to finally meet Otto after reading about him all these years and I'll have to say he is quite the character. That DD is quite an interesting fellow himself. Many thanks again to "Gentleman Bob Lusk" and the group who made this possible.

Johnny T.
I have heard about John Tanner for years. Lusk really didn't do him justice. Spending the next morning with Otto, Lusk, and Tanner was like being at an amusement park.
© Pond Boss Forum