Pond Boss
Posted By: Lisa Bob's Family needs prayers - 11/09/05 12:36 AM
Friends of Pond Boss - Bob and Debbie's home burned to the ground today. Please lift up their family in your prayers over the next several weeks. They lost all their possessions, but everyone escaped unharmed.
Posted By: Bill Duggan Re: Bob's Family needs prayers - 11/09/05 12:45 AM
Our thoughts are with you and your family
Posted By: Alabama Woody Re: Bob's Family needs prayers - 11/09/05 01:08 AM
Man, I hate to hear that. God Speed.
Posted By: Jersey Re: Bob's Family needs prayers - 11/09/05 01:28 AM
Wow. That hit like a ton of bricks.

Best wishes your way.
Posted By: ewest Re: Bob's Family needs prayers - 11/09/05 02:30 AM
In addition to our prayers please let the forum members know how we can help !!!!
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Bob's Family needs prayers - 11/09/05 02:34 AM
I'll help. \:\(
Posted By: Lisa Re: Bob's Family needs prayers - 11/09/05 02:48 AM
Right now, the only way I know to help is with our prayers. It is still fresh and they are realing with pain and uncertainties. As Bob so eloquently said in his recent magazine editorial, "and for more than one million displaced citizens, keep them in your prayers and do what you can to help." Make that one million and four.
from Bob's little sister, LOVE YOU BOB, DEBBIE, ASHLEY and TAYLOR!
Posted By: Dave Davidson Re: Bob's Family needs prayers - 11/09/05 03:05 AM
Bob and Debbie, Please let us know what we can do.
Posted By: Dave Willis Re: Bob's Family needs prayers - 11/09/05 04:22 AM
Amen.
Posted By: Ted Lea FOREVERGREEN Re: Bob's Family needs prayers - 11/09/05 10:32 AM
Plese keep us posted on what we can do as I know you will, and realize the countless thoughts and prayers that are with you from your PondBoss Family.Ted
Posted By: Jimmy Re: Bob's Family needs prayers - 11/09/05 11:29 AM
Thank God everyone is allright!! Please keep us informed if there is anything we can do.
Posted By: Russ Re: Bob's Family needs prayers - 11/09/05 12:03 PM
Thank God no one was hurt. We're here for Bob and Debbie if they need anything.

Keep us posted Lisa.
Posted By: Eric Re: Bob's Family needs prayers - 11/09/05 12:44 PM
Our thoughts and Prayers are with him and his family as they go through this difficult time.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Bob's Family needs prayers - 11/09/05 01:02 PM
Ditto

Sorry for being so ignorant but which Bob is this? Bob and Debbie doesn't ring a bell for me. Bob Lusk? Bob who?
Posted By: Meadowlark Re: Bob's Family needs prayers - 11/09/05 02:10 PM
Our prayers certainly with Bob and family and our offer to help in any way we can.
Posted By: Dave Davidson Re: Bob's Family needs prayers - 11/09/05 02:35 PM
Cecil, it's Lusk. I just got off the phone with Cathy. She is the person at PB who answers the phone and does a bunch of the work to keep things happening. I asked her to call me if there was anything we could do to help. She has all of my numbers and will convey to Lusk our concern and wishes to help.

They believe it was an electrical fire that started in the attic. Bob was not home but his wife Debbie, a daughter and granddaughter were there. They got out OK. They had purchased an existing home and had done a lot of remodeling. That may or may not have been a contributing factor but even speculation of the cause is premature.
Posted By: Debra King Re: Bob's Family needs prayers - 11/09/05 03:02 PM
I am still the fingerling here on board (do not know many of you), but none the less I want to express my heartfelt wishes for Godspeed with Bob's ordeal. Our thoughts and prayers are with him and his family. Please let us know if we can help in ANY way!

Deb
Posted By: big_pond Re: Bob's Family needs prayers - 11/09/05 03:12 PM
LORD we Praise you and give you thanks LORD and Lift you up at this time!!! LORD we ask for your HELP in this time of NEED in this Dear family's life LORD. We ask that you would ease the pain of there lost at this time. LORD at Devestating times like this it is hard to come up with the words to pray....LORD we ask that some how or some way that you would replace what they lost. Bob is a dear friend of ours LORd and we ask for your AWSOME hand of Blessing at this time....We ask this in mighty name of JESUS....amen!!
Posted By: Sunil Re: Bob's Family needs prayers - 11/09/05 03:52 PM
When I first saw this thread appear on the forum last night, all I could think was that I hoped it was inaccurate. I know other members were on-line too, and maybe thinking the same thing.

Ditto what everyone else said; However we can help...
Posted By: Bob Lusk Re: Bob's Family needs prayers - 11/09/05 04:17 PM
Well folks, it's true. Our lovely home, stately Lusk Lodge on the shores of Lake Debbie is a pile of rubble. Burned to the ground. The Princess Debbie was home with grandson Nolan and daughter Ashley (home sick from school.) Debbie heard a loud pop near an upstairs window, saw smoke, quickly collected the children, called 911 and fled, then called me at the office. I rushed out there, beat the fire department. I thought they could save it, but it was not to be. We think it was electrical, nothing to do with our remodeling.
Here's a news link, for anyone who wants to read the story or watch news video.
Thanks for your prayers and continued prayers. We will assess, make a game plan and go at it again.
Are we disappointed? Sure, but everything happens for a reason. We won't be denied, it's not our nature. We will rebuild, on that site, right where it should be.
Here's the link.....
Family watches as Fire Destroys Home
http://www.kten.com/Global/story.asp?s=4092616

Here's an interesting thing...8 fire departments responded, and they pumped water from the Lake Debbie, a 3/4 acre pond. The pond dropped 6 inches in three hours of pumping. That means they used approximately 125,000 gallons of water on the fire.
I counted 62 firefighters and twelve pieces of equipment.
They did an amazing job.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Bob's Family needs prayers - 11/09/05 04:30 PM
I am so sorry to hear this, Bob, but so very glad everyone got out OK.
Posted By: Chip Rowland Re: Bob's Family needs prayers - 11/09/05 04:44 PM
Our thoughts and prayers go out to the Lusk family.May your rebuilding efforts be blessed.I saw the video and interview and certainly admire their resolve.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Bob's Family needs prayers - 11/09/05 04:53 PM
Sorry to hear this for anyone who ever it would be. Glad you all are O.K. and you can always rebuilt. Of course it's easy for me to say this.

God Bless.
Posted By: David B Re: Bob's Family needs prayers - 11/09/05 04:55 PM
Hopefully they have a good home insurance policy. After the shock wears off the first aspect of their coverage that will be handy is the additional living expense coverage which will handle all additional living expenses. That anything over and above their normal living expenses. It will pay for the rental of a suitable home while their old home is being rebuilt. For the time being hopefully they can find a nice place to recuperate from such a devastating situation. Main thing is they are all OK.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Bob's Family needs prayers - 11/09/05 05:10 PM
The video is gripping.

For you, Bob, the video clearly shows that you are a rock and a pillar, already thinking forward and moving straight ahead.
Posted By: james holt Re: Bob's Family needs prayers - 11/09/05 05:25 PM
Bob and Debbie our prayers are with you as well as anything we can do to help.
Posted By: Brettski Re: Bob's Family needs prayers - 11/09/05 06:16 PM
Bob and Debbie,
Bob was there for me on the forum nearly immediately when I first reached out but a month ago. I dare say that I will likely be incapable of returning the favor to help mitigate the disaster that the Lusks have just suffered...but...I offer prayers and the best heart-felt wishes for your recovery. As a Pond Boss rookie, I remain steadfast and available for any support I can offer.
Brettski
Posted By: Jim Courtney Re: Bob's Family needs prayers - 11/09/05 06:28 PM
Bob, our family is praying for yours. Good luck and let us know how we can help. Jim
Posted By: Ross Baker Re: Bob's Family needs prayers - 11/09/05 07:50 PM
Bob, my thoughts and prayers are with you & your family. I am heartened to see/hear your resolve in that this will only be a "bump" on life's highway. Your family is the only thing that truly irreplaceable.
Posted By: Shorty Re: Bob's Family needs prayers - 11/09/05 08:19 PM
Glad to hear no one was hurt.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Bob's Family needs prayers - 11/09/05 08:36 PM
Anybody even remotely aware of Bob Lusk and what he stands for, knows for a fact that he and his family will use their faith and strength to rebuild even better and stronger than ever. Some of your words in the magazine have inspired us, Bob, to bigger and better things in our lives. You've had an impact on us all and we hope you can draw on our support for anything you ever need.
Posted By: ewest Re: Bob's Family needs prayers - 11/09/05 09:09 PM
The measure of a man is not how many times he gets knocked down, but that he gets up one more time than he gets knocked down --John Wayne

No doubt that the Lusk family ,like Jonn Wayne, will get up one more time than it gets knocked down. The question is will we , the forum members do our part to support the Lusk family ,who have given us so much and asked only in return that we care about and respect each other in our actions toward one another.

Sir Winston Churchill --

We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm

-----------------------------------------------

Until we get further direction , prayers and words of encouragement are the least we can do.

ewest
Posted By: Jim Hudson Re: Bob's Family needs prayers - 11/09/05 10:52 PM
I can only echo what others have said about you and your family Bob. I'm very thankful your family is safe. I admire your spirit and extend to you our prayers as well. You've been most helpful to me over the years and patiently answered questions when I needed help.
Posted By: Ric Swaim Re: Bob's Family needs prayers - 11/09/05 11:52 PM
My thoughts & prayers are with you. You are already blessed that no one was hurt.

I always try to look at a set back like this as an oportunity to make things better. Looks like you're already moving in that direction.

You have lots of friends here to lean on.
Posted By: will Re: Bob's Family needs prayers - 11/10/05 02:06 AM
Ditto; and my prayers also , Remeber The Good Lord will never put you though more than what your able to handle.
Posted By: Tentmaker Farm Re: Bob's Family needs prayers - 11/10/05 02:20 AM
Bob you and your family are in our thoughts and prayers. From the sermon on the mount " Do not be Anxious--Don't worry--Don't fret--
Be at peace--Trust God--He will not desert you--God will see you through."

We have much to be thankful for--

Tentmaker
Posted By: Big Jake Re: Bob's Family needs prayers - 11/10/05 02:20 AM
I dont know what to say that hasent already been said. Thank the Lord that everyone is safe as all material posessions can be replaced. You have many praying for you and your family.

God Bless

Jake
Posted By: zhkent Re: Bob's Family needs prayers - 11/10/05 02:46 AM
Bob,
Very sorry to hear of the loss of your home.
Very happy to hear no one was injured.
Posted By: Dudley Landry Re: Bob's Family needs prayers - 11/10/05 04:12 AM
Condolences are fine, but a check, however small, would help more. My pittance goes in to the Pond Boss office tomorrow.
So sorry about your loss, Bob.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Bob's Family needs prayers - 11/10/05 01:48 PM
Good point Dudley. I'll follow suit.
Posted By: Chad Fikes Re: Bob's Family needs prayers - 11/10/05 05:24 PM
Thank you everyone. I'm new to this business but I am Bob's fisheries biologist for Texoma Hatchery, I've been working for him for about a month. Your support in these trying times means a lot to the family. The support from the Pond Boss community and the local community has been tremendous. I just wanted to take the oppurtunity to say thank you to everyone.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Bob's Family needs prayers - 11/10/05 05:39 PM
Chad, do you know if there is any particular type of supply that would benefit Bob and his family at this time?
Posted By: ken Re: Bob's Family needs prayers - 11/10/05 07:24 PM
Bob, real sorry to hear of your loss. thank God everybody is ok.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Bob's Family needs prayers - 11/11/05 01:02 AM
Bob, Your faith has made you strong and it will help you through this tribulation.
Posted By: Chad Fikes Re: Bob's Family needs prayers - 11/11/05 03:12 AM
Thank you Bruce and everyone else. Right now I don't think there is much anyone can do. Keeping the Lusk's in your thoughts and prayers will help. If there is something that the Pond Boss community can do I will let you know.
Again Thank You.
Posted By: ewest Re: Bob's Family needs prayers - 11/11/05 03:23 AM
Chad :

Check with Cathy at the office. All hold off for a couple of days and we will know more about what we can do. We will have an opportunity to help. ewest
Posted By: Dave Willis Re: Bob's Family needs prayers - 11/11/05 02:12 PM
Thanks, Chad. We'll count on you for updates.
Posted By: Marty A. Re: Bob's Family needs prayers - 11/11/05 06:21 PM
I'm normally a lurker on this forum, but also one of Bob's neighbors on Maverick Drive, in Gordonville, TX.

I was with Bob for a short time during the fire watching an army of volunteer fire fighters trying to save his home while 20-30 MPH winds were working against the effort. Bob was debating whether or not to grant a TV interview while all of this was going on, & was incredibly stoic.

Two days later, all that's left is a lone 2 1/2 story stone fireplace/chimney, & other still smoldering debris. Following is an article from our local paper on the fire:

"Local News
Sherman Herald Democrat

By Mary Jane Farmer

GORDONVILLE - A Grayson County family has been burned out of its home, another in a series of home fires during the last month in Fannin and Grayson counties that destroyed residences and left people homeless.

Tuesday's fire was at 602 Maverick, a cul de sac off FM 901 and north of Whitesboro. Officials said the Bob Lusk family hadn't lived there a long time, but lost many of their memorabilia to the fire. The residents at home got out to safety, including their dog, and Bob Lusk returned while firefighters were attempting to extinguish the fire. The home collapsed. Lusk's family at the home consists of his wife, two young teen-agers, and, at the time of the fire, a toddler grandchild was also there.

The heaviest flames were coming out the roof when firefighters arrived, said Jeff Patterson of the Whitesboro Fire Department, who acted as incident commander.

Firefighters at the scene said that what the builder used for insulation is what continued to fuel flames in spite of their efforts. They found that straw bales had been placed in the thick walls' cavities, causing flames to spread more rapidly than expected. Patterson explained that because of the straw, the flames could spread downward.

Gordonville Fire Department was the lead agency. Helping were firefighters from other volunteer agencies, including Collinsville, Whitesboro, Southmmayd, Sadler, Sherwood Shores, Callisburg, and Gunter, Lebanon and Wills-Po, Okla. Other agencies, like Tioga FD and Sherman FD stood by in those towns to cover them.

With the lack of immediately available fire hydrants, Patterson said they got about 120,000 gallons of water out of a pond behind the house. They also used another approximate 15,000 gallons shuttled in by the aiding agencies' tankers, who dumped their transported water into a makeshift tank. Doing those shuffles allowed them to keep a steady water supply on hand.

It took several hours to extinguish the fire, and Gordonville firefighters stayed on scene until nearly dawn, watching for and putting out flare-ups. Even Wednesday afternoon, smoke coming out showed that there was still smoldering in the rubbish piles, a situation firefighters kept a vigilance on for everyone's safety.

Patterson said they returned Wednesday afternoon and were able to find some of the family's pictures in the ashes. Also, Whitesboro FD's chaplain, Brother Hart, went to the scene to talk and counsel with the family during the turmoil, as did the Lusks' own minister, Patterson said.

The cause and origin will be determined by the insurance agency, Patterson said.

The American Red Cross is helping the Lusk family and anyone who wants to assist can contact the Red Cross."

I contacted the Red Cross helping Bob, & if you wish to make a donation that is designated for him
it should be sent to:

American Red Cross
2527 Hwy 691
Denison, TX 75020

Make sure that you send a cover note stating who the donation is for, and that your check memo reads: "For Bob Lusk Family of Gordonville, TX" They assured me that, with that notation, 100% of the donation will go to Bob.

Please feel free to contact the Grayson County Chapter of the American Red Cross directly if you have any questions: 903-465-1330.

The Anderson family prays for yours Bob, & we offer any assistance we can to you & your family.

Marty Anderson
Posted By: ewest Re: Bob's Family needs prayers - 11/12/05 12:16 AM
ewest
Lunker
Member # 1798

posted November 11, 2005 07:14 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I talked to Cathy at the PB office. She is checking on several matters and should let us know on Monday what is the best way for us to help. We do not need to do something that will duplicate what is already covered or is not needed by Bob's family. Let's give Cathy and the Lusk's till then to tell us what is best. ewest
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted By: deaner Re: Bob's Family needs prayers - 11/12/05 02:19 PM
My prayers are with you as I realize this is a very difficult time to say the least. Prayers are helpful and will be answered.
Posted By: Greg Grimes Re: Bob's Family needs prayers - 11/13/05 04:42 PM
Bob got back in town looking forward to reading some good pond info and saw this. Prayers are with you and the family.
Posted By: 82Martin Re: Bob's Family needs prayers - 11/13/05 07:01 PM
So sorry to hear of your misfortune, Bob. Glad everyone's OK. Prayers are with you and your family.
Posted By: BrianC Re: Bob's Family needs prayers - 11/16/05 07:30 PM
Damn, just damn. Sorry to just get the news Bob!! Hope you guys are doing okay!! No way a little fire can keep a man like you down!! Thoughts and prayers!
Posted By: Eastland Re: Bob's Family needs prayers - 11/18/05 02:19 AM
I'm sorry to hear about your loss Bob, we're all thankful everyone made it out safely. We will help any way we can...you help all of us, give us a chance to repay the debt.
Posted By: LBuck Re: Bob's Family needs prayers - 11/28/05 09:19 PM
Any word on Bob and his family? Are things getting along OK?
Posted By: Bob Lusk Re: Bob's Family needs prayers - 11/28/05 11:21 PM
Thanks so much for the prayers and the outpouring from the Pond Boss community. I am truly a blessed man, and deeply humbled. Here's the latest. Debbie and I are doing well, staying in a winter home owned by one of our friends at a nearby horse ranch. The winter home is used by her parents, and they arrive Dec 8. We have located two homes we can choose from, to rent for the time it takes to rebuild.
We will rebuild on the same site, pending approval from an engineer who needs to inspect the slab after we demolish the remains and dispose of the debris.
The insurance company has been compassionate, friendly and very professional.
Our insurance was better than most, and we are learning how to play the game. Next, we go through the process of designing a new home, interviewing builders and contractors, then see what it will cost, and figure out how to do it.
We chose to spend the nine days around Thanksgiving relaxing in the mountains of New Mexico, to step away from the whirlwind.
I edited and wrote the Jan-Feb issue while there, and have included a story about the fire in that issue.
You folks are the kindest, most caring and compassionate people I have ever cared to meet. Thanks from the bottom of our hearts.
Posted By: Norm Kopecky Re: Bob's Family needs prayers - 11/29/05 02:33 PM
Bob, our prayers are with you also.

We've been through two house fires and know the feeling. From the perspective of time, I've come to a number of conclusions. We say it all the time but everyone getting out unhurt really is the most important thing. Ask anyone that has ever been in or visited a burn center!

We will always miss all of the personal item that mean so much to us. However, with time, they mean less to us.

Most importantly, IF we have good insurance (and that is a big IF), then having the house burn down completely is so much better than having the fire department put it out. Fixing a house with lots of fire, smoke and water damage is horrible.

Again, our thoughts are with you.
Posted By: Svoberts Re: Bob's Family needs prayers - 12/06/05 03:15 PM
Last summer I had the privilege to be a guest for an afternoon at the Lusk Homestead. The house was built largely from cedar trees cut from the property (not by Bob, they did not build the original structure.) It was very unique and quite beautiful. Unfortunately, I did not get as many pictures as I now wish I had, but here is just a glimpse at what the house looked like.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to Bob and his family. They are a strong unit (ask Bob sometime to tell you the story) and they will come out on top, but it will be a trying process for all.

Posted By: Pottsy Re: Bob's Family needs prayers - 12/07/05 05:47 PM
Oh no, I come back to Pondboss forum after a lengthy time away to complain about people promoting fishing bass of the spawning beds and I see this! Not what I was hoping for I must say!
My thoughts are with you and your family Bob, having been a Volunteer Firefighter for some time I have seen a fair share of people lose their homes/possessions... everything despite our best efforts. It is a horrible thing to see when I don't even know the people, and although we have never met personally, through the magazine and this website I do feel that I know you at least in some ways and that makes it even more poignant to hear of your loss. Hopefully you can get back on your feet in a hurry.
© Pond Boss Forum