Pond Boss
Posted By: ahvatsa New Pond slideshow - 10/19/05 01:31 PM
Comments anyone? More pictures will be added, rock and gravel arriving today.

http://photobucket.com/albums/b165/ahvatsa/
Posted By: Meadowlark Re: New Pond slideshow - 10/19/05 02:14 PM
ahvatsa,

I like the islands and believe you will really like them also. I did something very similar in the deep water of each of my ponds and they are a magnet for fish.

What do you plan to do with the round bales of hay? Leave them in the water? Wondering because I sat some on the waters edge, in shallow water and they turned out to be a garden spot for cat tails. As the hay decomposes, it creates an environment that cat tails love. Once I removed them, I never saw cat tails again.
Posted By: Matt Clark Re: New Pond slideshow - 10/19/05 02:19 PM
That is really a site. What a project. Can't wait to see photos after she fills up.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: New Pond slideshow - 10/19/05 02:34 PM
VERY nice slideshow.

I now know what I'm doing with the old cornpicker and bale kicker setting around rusting when I build a serious bass pond.
Posted By: Meadowlark Re: New Pond slideshow - 10/19/05 03:01 PM
Theo,

Old discs, plows, and especially old hay rings make great structure...just ask my fish.

In my next pond, my leading candidate for structure is my old '76 GMC pick-up, which in fine East Texas tradition, currently sits in the front yard of my ranch house. \:D
Posted By: rmedgar Re: New Pond slideshow - 10/19/05 03:23 PM
Great job. As I went thru the slides I couldn't wait
to see the finished product. Anticipation grew by the second and then, and then - I felt like someone tore out the last 3 pages of the Da Vinci Code. When will it be full - it really looks great! I must see pictures - I'm hooked!!!
Posted By: Meadowlark Re: New Pond slideshow - 10/19/05 03:26 PM
ahvatsa,

You have obviously done your homework on this first pond and have a terrific potential fishery.

I'm interested to know, especially in view of your commendable approach to researching things before jumping in, what are your stocking plans?
Posted By: ceadmin Re: New Pond slideshow - 10/19/05 07:04 PM
Congrats on making me envious! ;\)

I can't wait to see the finished photos.
Posted By: ewest Re: New Pond slideshow - 10/19/05 07:32 PM
Outstanding job!! Well done and doucmented. I really like the islands and think the pallet strctures on the edge of the island slopes to drop offs into deep water will work great. I could not tell if you have sand and or gravel placed for sunfish spawning. What about a pier with spawning beds near by or places (sand) for kids/grandkids to swim if planned. You should do a write up of what you did and how and post it . ewest
Posted By: ahvatsa Re: New Pond slideshow - 10/20/05 01:10 AM
Thanks for all the feedback.

ML The backside of the large island will be 22' at full level. The bails are haygraizer, simular to barley straw, I feel should hold together a few years??? They are mostly in 6-10'. I was trying to break up Lusk's "Sahara desert" on that side of the pond. I will watch for cat-tails. I've done a few other ponds and learned from my mistakes! Frankly, I have spent many hours on this sight, if Lusk, McDonald, Matson, McComas, Otto, or Scott have written or recorded it, I've probably seen it! Many great contributions here and too numerous to thank all! I have learned that 'shoreline'is very important in a bass pond, hence the islands and peninsulas. Several friends have sunk auto bodies and use a pear burner to clean paint plastics etc... before submerging. Be sure to drain all fluids first. Jon Herrmann has stocked a couple other ponds. He works well with me.

Matt and Theo, need a 5-6" hard rain and yes, this is my "Bass" pond. Crappie are on my mind.

Rmedgar, lol

ceadmir, It took me several trys to get to here.

ewest, Received 40 tons of 3/4-inch -1.5 gravel and made 3 beds 2.5-8'. Have a pier, bridge and boathouse in the works. 6 pictures from the end, looking through the trees, the cove to left will be for grandkids. Sand ordered and a soft slope to 4'. Additional 40 tons 3-5" rock to line spillway and a couple erosion prone spots. Note: we loaded trucks with 1.5" on sides and 3/4 gravel in middle. When we dumped it lined the larger on outside and the gravel in the middle. Should hold together well.

Thanks
al

ps Question... Anyone have thoughts on stocking bgs fatheads bass from DIFFERENT hatcheries? Wonder if mixing is better? Works well with my deer.
Posted By: ewest Re: New Pond slideshow - 10/20/05 02:21 AM
Al :

You have done a wonderful job and thought of all angles . You should be very proud of your paradise ( its not just a pond).

I have used three different hatcheries after careful checking on their work. I asked where their brood stock were from (did they have fish genetics checked} and who worked on the ponds where my fish would come from and asked for a history. None of the hatcheries had any problems with any question I asked . In fact they seemed glad someone cared enough to ask about their operation. I think that is a good way to mix the genetics as a safe guard . I would not however want fish from to far away (different climate-- like Florida to Ohio) as there are studies that indicate that the fish if from to different a location may have problems genetically adapting as opposed to local fish. Good Luck. \:\) ewest
Posted By: Meadowlark Re: New Pond slideshow - 10/20/05 02:56 AM
ahvatsa,

Interesting that you mentioned deer. In cows and horses, if I buy from outside my area, they do not do well at all. The East Texas climate is very tough on those not adapted to it. I kind of think the same would apply to fish, although I don't have direct proof.

I agree with EWEST, that buying locally should be the first option, for that reason and also to promote the survival of the local area suppliers. I would be nowhere on ponds without Todd Overton, who supplies my local area. He will always be my first choice.
Posted By: Dave Davidson Re: New Pond slideshow - 10/20/05 11:14 AM
Al, you've done a beautiful job. Now, if you get any rain......
Posted By: ahvatsa Re: New Pond slideshow - 11/03/05 01:39 AM
I've added 8 pictures, rock, gravel, dam planted...

Now we pray for rain!
Posted By: ahvatsa Re: New Pond slideshow - 11/03/05 03:27 AM
http://photobucket.com/albums/b165/ahvatsa/
Catfish pond slideshow added.

Edit...
WOW 530 hits!
Posted By: TEXAS715 Re: New Pond slideshow - 11/03/05 03:41 PM
I like. Unlike most I don't mind cattails as long as they don't take over everything. After I lowered my pond and brought it back up they grew in more placed but it seemed to improve things. Provided more cover and structure for bass and forage. I catch all the 7+ lbers. in it now.

I would put more tire piles in mine if I could bring mine down like you did.

Good luck.
Posted By: ahvatsa Re: New Pond slideshow - 11/04/05 12:16 AM
Tex
Actually the tires were all wired to feeder before pond filled. I am a fan of Xmas trees as pictures show.

1570 HITS!!!!Wonder if photobucket counter is correct? Pond Boss must be HUGE!

The catfish pond .7-1a. has been stocked:
12/07/04 3000 FHs
200 coppernose bgs

3/19/05 2000 FHs
100 cc 4-6"
200 bgs
25 lmb 6-8"
Question, just added another 2500 FHs this week. Feeder activity decreased and couldn't find a minnow anywhere! Could this amount of fish eaten 5000 minnows? They were active at feeder until first week of Aug. Thought warm weather had them deeper...

I am off to west Tx. with my father, 73, for our FORTYFIRST opening together. Now have 3 generations together at this event! 31 sections and 2 ponds...er waterholes, on the entire ranch.
Posted By: ewest Re: New Pond slideshow - 11/04/05 02:45 AM
ahvatsa :

I will try to get this right. I bet the counter is right. At the DFW PB meeting Bob made a comment that for every registered PB forum member ( 2300 + now) his IT person said there were 4 non-registered viewers on average. That means that there are some 11500 people who are forum members or viewers. If I got this wrong someone let us know. ewest
Posted By: Sunil Re: New Pond slideshow - 11/04/05 03:22 AM
What I find truly amazing is the amount of lurkers; not that there's anything wrong with that mind you.

Even if it was just the 2300+ registered members (lurkers + all the rest), it would still be amazing.

From ewest's comment, it can all be tracked by the site. If it's 10K plus, that's nuts!!

Everyonce in a while, you see a post from someone with a very early member number that does not post too often. That is great.
Posted By: 3z3k3l Re: New Pond slideshow - 11/04/05 03:40 AM
Incredible set up. Pictures are fantastic.
I too was waiting to see it filled.

If money was no object I would have a field day with stocking...all Female bass for the first 3 years. ;\)

Keep those pictures coming!
Posted By: ahvatsa Re: New Pond slideshow - 07/08/06 03:48 AM
I now have WATER! Updated slideshow on ahvatsa and catfish albums. I may have too much watershed. lol Sweeney feeders don't float. Hay bales do.

http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b165/ahvatsa/

http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b165/ahvatsa/Catfish%20pond/
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: New Pond slideshow - 07/08/06 03:55 AM
Very impressive, indeed.
Posted By: Brettski Re: New Pond slideshow - 07/08/06 10:36 AM
Wow...
Well, you waited...and waited for a rain party. It looks like you got a rave instead! I'm thrilled for you, Ahvatsa. It looks great.
Now, you can take a few "wader" measurements on the dock and wait for her to go down to adjust the framing...no biggie, unless the waterworks never stops .
I thought at one time you mentioned your primary spillway on the larger pond was pipe(s). One pic appeared to be a natural spillway with aggregate...or it was the emergency? Anyway, with the flush of water, did you experience any unwelcome wash-out?
Posted By: ahvatsa Re: New Pond slideshow - 07/08/06 12:38 PM
Brettski
One problem is, this wasn't a "rave", and frankly, we didn't handle the 6" event too well! Concern is, what happens with 8-10"s? The pier will be dealt with after we see what level the pond settles at. Of late in So. Texas it's been flood, drought, flood. Not sure what "normal" is anymore. I was assured the 2 1' primary pipes would handle most of the runoff. Well, they did not! Plan now is to enlarge natural spillway (wider mainly) and possibly add another pipe through the dam 2' or larger set 6-8" LOWER than existing. I had another wash out behind Catfish pond unexpected. Sometimes you mess with mother nature and she shows who is in charge! Even with good equipment the true picture cannot be seen until the water arrives. Dirt work done a quarter mile from Catfish pond had ill-effects on the spillway. It backed up water a long way. Pretty complicated why don't you come down and look. I can show you several mistakes to avoid!
BUT, even muddy water is nice to have. I have spent 10+ hours walking the creeks and ponds, LEARNING and observing. Very peaceful experience! awesome
With no doubt on adequate watershed, another pond was planned some time ago. This one will catch first with plenty of "run-arounds" in place. Cannot wait to get started!lol \:D
Posted By: ewest Re: New Pond slideshow - 07/08/06 01:10 PM
Those slide shows are worth paying to see. Great job !!!! With the ponds and camera. I thought some of the dry season pics in the show were new ones (not in the original). Can you stake those hay bales in place or are you going to let them be surprise structure.

Glad for the rain -- Is it fish time now ? BTW how did the early FH do ?
Posted By: ahvatsa Re: New Pond slideshow - 07/08/06 01:21 PM
ewest
Thanks. The pics may have been rearranged by my wife? Wish I had staked the bales. Yes, it's fish time. The FHs were in another pond and are still spawning and doing well. The catfish pond will be getting an infusion of new ones soon. The big pond is a virgin and now the fun begins. Stocking...that is!
Posted By: 3z3k3l Re: New Pond slideshow - 07/08/06 05:42 PM
 Quote:
Originally posted by ahvatsa:
I now have WATER! Updated slideshow on ahvatsa and catfish albums. I may have too much watershed. lol Sweeney feeders don't float. Hay bales do.

http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b165/ahvatsa/

http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b165/ahvatsa/Catfish%20pond/
Great job, pictures look great!

When and What are you planning to stock it with?
Posted By: ahvatsa Re: New Pond slideshow - 07/10/06 01:27 AM
3z3k3
I have confirmed 15 # FHs 10 # GSs and 500 BGs native and coppernose mixed, 100 REs for next weekend. Had to call several suppliers to get a July delievery. After pond stabilizes will add more in fall. 2286 Hits on Photobucket albums! UNREAL!

ps any comments on stocking appreciated.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: New Pond slideshow - 07/10/06 02:00 AM
Wait a minute!...are you saying that you've had 2286 hits since when???

Just from Pond Boss folks?
Posted By: ewest Re: New Pond slideshow - 07/10/06 02:11 AM
Bruce at the DFW meeting Bob told us that the IT folks told him that there were many more people who view but never register. Seems like he said 4 to 1. With nearly 3000 members it is no surprise that a bunch of PB members and visitors saw ahvatsa's web page.
Posted By: Brettski Re: New Pond slideshow - 07/10/06 02:54 AM
My web host provides so dang much "hit" info that it's befuddling. I started my website Aug '05. The year of 2005 yielded 6442 page requests. So far in 2006, 10,082 page requests. I'm not advertising anywhere other than PB, though I believe that the hits are creating ranking within the search engines that will tap into the page names. Maybe some of our geekier computer gurus can explain further...?
Posted By: ahvatsa Re: New Pond slideshow - 07/10/06 11:52 AM
Bruce
I believe it updates monthly. Haven't checked counter until last night. I have seen counter in past at 10-12 hits on first part of month. I assume it's for this month! Pond Boss is the only place I post...hang.

ewest
I have no doubt of the 4 to 1. Hope Bob views this, may be able to use info and convey to potential advertisers. I would like to see more services, products. My time is limited for now and I would love a Windmill Aeration System installed. Please don't tell me how easy they are to assemble...lol...
On new pond, after spending the afternoon there, we are lowering level 1'. Pier still has a couple inches over it.
Posted By: DAMONE Re: New Pond slideshow - 07/11/06 03:51 PM
LOOKS GREAT! JUST DON'T MAKE THE MISTAKE I DID.
I DIDN'T PLANT ANY GRASS SEED RIGHT AWAY ALONG THE SHORELINE AND WE HAD ALOT OF ERSION PROBLEMS. IF I DID IT AGAIN I WOULD PLANT GRAS WITHIN THE FIRST FEW MONTHS AFTER IT WAS DUG. ITS EASIER TO KILL GRASS THAT TO REPLACE SOIL.
Posted By: ahvatsa Re: New Pond slideshow - 07/12/06 12:07 PM
Bruce
2794 hits as of this morning. I'm not even selling anything...lol
© Pond Boss Forum