Pond Boss
Posted By: AaronhomeIN Pond and fish photos - 07/20/05 04:45 AM
I don't mean to jump on any toes for recent post. I was just wondering if anyone wanted to share photos of their ponds and fish with the rest of us. It kind of gives a sense of knowing the people on the other side of the screen. Here I will start with pictures of my pond that we started managing this past spring. I am happy with the management so far because at this time last year I had 100% coverage of duckweed and watermeal inches thick and no visible fish. We fished it hard early to determine what adjustments needed to be made when we stocked it. You can see the first signs of duckweed in the spring picture. My only problem right now is a very small amout of algea in which I am not concerned about yet. If anyone has suggestions please feel free. I just wanted to start a little show and tell for all of us.

http://mysite.verizon.net/res8r4e3/aaronsphotoalbum/id2.html

Just don't laugh, this is the first year for this pond.
Posted By: jimmy wheels Re: Pond and fish photos - 07/20/05 05:29 PM
Good idea. It is nice to see the location where other pond meisters are for lack of a better word… meisting. It's also interesting to see how others are spending a majority of their time and money improving their little creature craters.

I need to upload some recent pictures of my new pond. Not too long ago, I posted photos of the structure I was working on. The general consensus on the forum was to add more structure, which I did. When I get home tonight I'll link the images.

I'm looking forward to seeing my pond level this weekend. We recently received a good amount of rainfall in the area. Hopefully, the pond is near full and I can begin planning for stocking this Fall.
Posted By: jimmy wheels Re: Pond and fish photos - 07/21/05 04:20 PM
Here are the photos I've uploaded of my pond. It was about half full the last time I visited. Hopefully, it's filled to the brim now!

Most of the photos show the structure I've been working on. The area by the dam has no structure on purpose. I plan on using that area for swimming. I also added a photo of a large hog that was taken by a game cam. I'm looking to put him on my plate soon.

By the way, if anyone knows how to upload multiple pictures on Photo Bucket with only one link, please tell me. I don't like having to post each link individually.

Enjoy!

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b112/jimmywheels/.RO-10008.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b112/jimmywheels/.th_RO-10007.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b112/jimmywheels/.th_RO-10006.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b112/jimmywheels/.RO-10005.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b112/jimmywheels/.RO-10004.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b112/jimmywheels/.th_RO-10003.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b112/jimmywheels/.RO-10002.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b112/jimmywheels/.RO-10001.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b112/jimmywheels/hog.jpg
Posted By: Alligator Re: Pond and fish photos - 07/21/05 04:23 PM
Jimmy.

Nice work on the structure. I played around with photbucket and the maximum number I was able to upload at one time was 4 pictures.

I think I recognize that pig!
Posted By: Just Joe Re: Pond and fish photos - 07/21/05 04:46 PM
The pig looks like Rosie.
Posted By: jimmy wheels Re: Pond and fish photos - 07/21/05 05:25 PM
Alligator,

Glad you like my structure. Now, let's wait and see what the fish have to say on the topic.

What's the trick to uploading 4 photos on one link?
Posted By: Alligator Re: Pond and fish photos - 07/21/05 06:50 PM
ML,

Nice Pic. That looks rather hilly to be too far south?

BTW, If you hit "next" or "prevoius" you get a lot of other pictures, which I assume dont belong to you. Some are rather...well, not exactly pond pictures.
Posted By: Meadowlark Re: Pond and fish photos - 07/21/05 06:55 PM
Really? Must be linked to someone's elses pictures also. Maybe I can undo that. I'll try. I just posted one picture \:\)
Posted By: Meadowlark Re: Pond and fish photos - 07/21/05 07:00 PM
Second attempt...Gator is this still linked to other pictures? By the way, should I look at those other pictures? \:\)

You mentioned "far south". I'm in Polk county and it has rolling land in my area. We are actually on a "hill" by East Texas standards. Hope this picture works better.
Posted By: Alligator Re: Pond and fish photos - 07/21/05 07:15 PM
Yes, much better, no links now. Intresting shots further into the old link. How did you get the picture to show up directly insdie the post?
Posted By: burgermeister Re: Pond and fish photos - 07/21/05 07:17 PM
Oh yes, I would definitely like to do some 'bird watchng' up there ;\)
Posted By: Meadowlark Re: Pond and fish photos - 07/21/05 07:20 PM
Gator,

I think I did it the correct way this time, as opposed to the previous mistake. I hit the "image" button and pasted in the link...in the other post I inadvertantly hit the "url" button and posted the link...maybe I need to check out those other pictures...probably get me thrown in Jail?

Kind of scary to think your pictures could be linked to other pictures which could be very problematic. That could cause serious unintended consequences. I may have to rethink using that method, but don't know of any other. We need a picture posting capability.
Posted By: Meadowlark Re: Pond and fish photos - 07/21/05 07:22 PM
 Quote:
Originally posted by burgermeister:
Oh yes, I would definitely like to do some 'bird watchng' up there ;\)
BM, the bank on the left side is where I usually set up the observation tent. Come on up this fall and observe the majestic water turkey in all its radiant glory.

p.s. bring a fly rod also and sample some of my BG and HSB if lucky
Posted By: jimmy wheels Re: Pond and fish photos - 07/21/05 07:44 PM
I'm trying out this business of posting an image directly into the message. I've never tried it before, so sorry if it doesn't work.

Posted By: Alligator Re: Pond and fish photos - 07/21/05 07:44 PM
Lemme try this:

Wow, I have been wondering how to do that! Thanks!
Posted By: Alligator Re: Pond and fish photos - 07/21/05 07:46 PM
ML, How about a few pics of those up and comming 3.5 lb-ers?
Posted By: Meadowlark Re: Pond and fish photos - 07/21/05 07:56 PM
Gator,

I'd prefer to wait until fall on the HSB pictures. Its just too hot to stress them out right now, but if I do accidently catch one, which does happen, I'll post a picture.

Side note. I was noticing your pier, very nice by the way. I did something to enhance the security of my pier which might be of interest. I built a gate, out of wood, at the opening and lock it each time I leave. I also set traps (you may not want to do this) on the locked side. I was, emphasis on was, having someone sneak in and catch HSB from the pier with the feeder, a relatively easy thing to do. Now it isn't so easy.
Posted By: Alligator Re: Pond and fish photos - 07/22/05 02:33 AM
ML, do you have any pictures of the gate or traps?
Posted By: Meadowlark Re: Pond and fish photos - 07/22/05 02:36 AM
Gator,

I'll try to get you some this weekend and post on Monday.
Posted By: Alabama Woody Re: Pond and fish photos - 07/22/05 03:11 AM

Posted By: Alabama Woody Re: Pond and fish photos - 07/22/05 03:12 AM

Posted By: Alabama Woody Re: Pond and fish photos - 07/22/05 03:17 AM

Posted By: Alabama Woody Re: Pond and fish photos - 07/22/05 03:22 AM

Posted By: Chip Rowland Re: Pond and fish photos - 07/22/05 04:40 PM
Nice Pictures Guys,

I took these a couple weeks ago;

Posted By: bz Re: Pond and fish photos - 07/22/05 05:36 PM
Chip, your place is gorgeous. Looks like a real dream come true. I hope to have something half that nice some day. Count your blessings.
Posted By: Chip Rowland Re: Pond and fish photos - 07/22/05 06:08 PM
Thanks BZ-I appreciate it. We're lucky that it finally got some rain.
Posted By: Martin Re: Pond and fish photos - 07/22/05 06:41 PM
Chip,

That is a beautiful place!! I just printed the picture so I could show my wife. Maybe I can get her to make a garden like that. I am in Montpelier IN which is not too far from you.
Posted By: Chip Rowland Re: Pond and fish photos - 07/22/05 07:07 PM
Many humble thanks Martin. If you ever fly into Lima Allen County KAOH you'll come right over us. The garden is all my wife's work, I only help her water it. That's probably why it looks like it does; I don't meddle with it. \:\)
Posted By: BD Re: Pond and fish photos - 07/22/05 08:41 PM
Alabama, chip, ML (everyone else too)
you guys have some nice ponds.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Pond and fish photos - 07/23/05 02:16 AM
bz said about Chip

Quote:
I hope to have something half that nice some day.
I only hope to have something 1/10 as nice - I'd never find the time to keep up 1/2 as nice. Chip, that's gorgeous!

That said, here's my favorite fish pic from my pond, it's not the biggest fish we've caught, but it's the closest (so far) to my goal of big sunfish:

and here's my favorite overall pond pic, me between two good looking girls:

Posted By: Chip Rowland Re: Pond and fish photos - 07/23/05 03:17 AM
Theo,
Those are some nice fish! Those sunfish are going to be some whoppers. \:\) It really makes me think twice about putting perch in.I grew up in Georgia and I miss those hubcap sized shellcrackers.
Chip
Posted By: Rad Re: Pond and fish photos - 07/23/05 03:34 AM

The track hoe left on February 28 and we have been plugging along since, I am sure this will always be a work in progress.
Posted By: AaronhomeIN Re: Pond and fish photos - 07/23/05 06:43 AM
Talk about some great photos! It is great to see how nice all of your ponds are.

Chip, I am in the Fort Wayne area also. How long have you worked on the pond to get it that nice? My problem here is that I moved into a 30 year old muck hole. Give me a few years and I'll be able to show it with the same pride as you all.

Thanks to all so far for the great photos. Keep um coming in \:\)
Posted By: Alligator Re: Pond and fish photos - 07/23/05 01:03 PM
Chip,

We call those swimming pools down my way...do you actually "allow" fish in there to dirty it up? \:\)

Awesome looking pond. Thats the kind of pond I want!
Posted By: bmccreight Re: Pond and fish photos - 07/23/05 03:36 PM

Posted By: bmccreight Re: Pond and fish photos - 07/23/05 04:13 PM
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Posted By: bmccreight Re: Pond and fish photos - 07/23/05 04:14 PM
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b314/bmccreight/2004_0529Image0040.jpg
Posted By: bmccreight Re: Pond and fish photos - 07/23/05 04:16 PM
Sorry, I do not know what I am doing yet.
Bob
Posted By: Alabama Woody Re: Pond and fish photos - 07/23/05 04:36 PM
A lil help for BM! You have a beautiful place!

Posted By: burgermeister Re: Pond and fish photos - 07/23/05 04:43 PM
bmccreight, that is pretty awesome. I've never seen anything like that in Houston!
Posted By: bmccreight Re: Pond and fish photos - 07/23/05 04:58 PM
Thank You, it is just east of Centerville,Texas. I will wait to try and add fish photos, fishing is great and is the best buy of my life. Just wish I could spend more time there. I always told Meadowlark not to buy native bass as I have more than needed. Same goes for all the great people on this board.
Bob
Posted By: bmccreight Re: Pond and fish photos - 07/23/05 05:02 PM
Forgot too add that is only half of the lake, to the left of photo is an island, that right now has two baby fawns on it. The deer swim to have their babys over there. It is an awsome sight to see.
Posted By: Brad B. Re: Pond and fish photos - 07/23/05 06:09 PM
Fellas,
Those are some awful nice ponds and fish. If this drought ever ends out here in Nebraska- I will send a picture of my pond as well. I hope it turns out half as nice as these others.

Brad B.
Posted By: DCagle Re: Pond and fish photos - 07/24/05 01:50 AM
This picture was taken 2 years ago. After having my son take my picture with this bass, he wanted his picture with it also.
Posted By: Russ Re: Pond and fish photos - 07/24/05 11:03 AM
WOW \:\) Great photos everyone! All those ponds look fantastic. You guys should put disclaimers on those pictures stating to wear a dribble bib before viewing.

Robinson, I'd like to see a picture of your place and those Tennessee hills when everything has leafed out.

Chip and Alabama Woody, for a short time I had ponds like the beauties you both have....at least till the owners returned from vacation ;\)

Russ
Posted By: Meadowlark Re: Pond and fish photos - 07/24/05 10:37 PM
bmccreight,

If the invite is still open, I'd like to visit this fall.
Posted By: burgermeister Re: Pond and fish photos - 07/24/05 11:00 PM
Robinson, pretty country. My son and family live in Franklin. When I come visit I can bring up some nice blues to stock. \:D
Posted By: burgermeister Re: Pond and fish photos - 07/24/05 11:15 PM
No, PI...I havent heard that myth. I dont think BP would admit anything like that.
Yea, Cool Springs is where they lived at first, then bought a house next exit south.
Where is your place?

Burkes... PC(politically correct)
Posted By: bmccreight Re: Pond and fish photos - 07/24/05 11:47 PM
Meadowlark, That would be a great time, give me a heads up and I would love to have you. It would be doing me a favor since this year I have not been able to fish much. My cabin is not grand, but fits me just fine. I have a Bed & Breakfast in Houston, so some times week days are better then weekends. What ever works, I always enjoy your posts on this site, even if I do not chime in. I can not stop my self from reading here almost 10 times per day.
Bob
Posted By: WranglerManJ Re: Pond and fish photos - 07/25/05 01:29 PM
Here's the new house and pole barn overlooking our half acre pond.

Posted By: BD Re: Pond and fish photos - 07/25/05 07:48 PM
Alabama, Chip...how big are your ponds?
Posted By: Chip Rowland Re: Pond and fish photos - 07/25/05 10:27 PM
Ours is just shy of 2 acres; it extends quite away to the right of the pictures. I'll try to post some fish sometime this week; they seem to be taking a break right now because of the heat.
Posted By: burgermeister Re: Pond and fish photos - 07/26/05 01:48 AM
Wranglerman, does your windmill drive an aerator?
Posted By: Alabama Woody Re: Pond and fish photos - 07/26/05 02:43 AM
 Quote:
Originally posted by BD:
Alabama, Chip...how big are your ponds?
I have a one acre pond.
Posted By: Alabama Woody Re: Pond and fish photos - 07/26/05 02:46 AM
 Quote:
Originally posted by David Cagle:
This picture was taken 2 years ago. After having my son take my picture with this bass, he wanted his picture with it also.
8 pounds, 2 ounces ????

Just a guess, nice bass!
Posted By: BD Re: Pond and fish photos - 07/26/05 05:19 AM
Hey Alabama, chip...thanks.
I am not trying to be 'nosey' my wife is asking me how big is '1 acre/2 acres/3acres' so I am trying to show her.
We (as I type this) are looking at land for what I have posted...my dream pond! (I already have the builder and have about 6,000$ with this company) I am now at this stage trying to "show" her what 5-10 acres looks like, and obviously what can be done with it. (She is more a visual person)
So only one last question Alabama, Chip......how big is your total acreage? It will help "show" her, if we buy 6.7 acres, "x" can be done (provided the NRCS says yeah, etc) or 10 acres can make "x".....

Thanks gentlemen!

Thanks
Posted By: WranglerManJ Re: Pond and fish photos - 07/26/05 11:29 AM
burgermeister, our windmill is hooked up to a diffuser. Although, during the summer the wind doesnt do much. There's a few trees I need to take out to catch some more. It does keep a whole in the ice during winter.
Posted By: Chip Rowland Re: Pond and fish photos - 07/26/05 11:43 AM
BD,

We and our neighbors share the pond and split 15 acres for the home sites. We live in a farming community and they have a 7 acre minimum. The picture should give you an idea as to the lay of the land. The pond at the top of the photo is at our old place and its about 1 acre, for comparison. Good luck with getting your land and pond.

Click on the photo to enlarge;

Posted By: BD Re: Pond and fish photos - 07/26/05 03:08 PM
That photo does help, thanks.
Posted By: Alabama Woody Re: Pond and fish photos - 07/26/05 03:15 PM
 Quote:
Originally posted by BD:
Hey Alabama, chip...thanks.
I am not trying to be 'nosey' my wife is asking me how big is '1 acre/2 acres/3acres' so I am trying to show her.
We (as I type this) are looking at land for what I have posted...my dream pond! (I already have the builder and have about 6,000$ with this company) I am now at this stage trying to "show" her what 5-10 acres looks like, and obviously what can be done with it. (She is more a visual person)
So only one last question Alabama, Chip......how big is your total acreage? It will help "show" her, if we buy 6.7 acres, "x" can be done (provided the NRCS says yeah, etc) or 10 acres can make "x".....

Thanks gentlemen!

Thanks
BD, I live in a "mini farm" subdivision. I only own 5 acres. I put my house 200 feet off the road, 10 yards behind the house we installed an inground swimming pool, another 200 feet past the pool is where the pond starts, it is exactly one acre in size. We are on a dead end street in a valley surrounded by mountains. I will try to post a better picture showing the whole spread.
Posted By: BD Re: Pond and fish photos - 07/26/05 03:20 PM
Alabama:
Yesterday I think I found the land I want and it's almost identical to how you described yours lol.
The land is 6.7 and is sort in a cul de sac. (each lot is this big, and the house that was actually IN the cul de sac is to my left) so it goes his place, this land, and then two houses to the right.
This lot is also up in the mountains (so to speak)
I am hoping I can get away with a 2.5 acre pond.
Posted By: Alabama Woody Re: Pond and fish photos - 07/26/05 03:26 PM
Sounds like a plan BD! Good luck with everything. The back of my property line is actually a deep ditch that allows drainage from the mountain, it worked out really well for me to connect to it with my overflow pipe. I spent the most money on hauling off the dirt versus "spreading it around".
Posted By: DCagle Re: Pond and fish photos - 07/26/05 07:47 PM
Alabama Woody, If I remember right the bass was 6 lb. 8 oz. and 22 1/2 inches long. That was the largest of 9 lunkers I caught that summer from my lake.

Posted By: Don Smith Re: Pond and fish photos - 07/29/05 01:00 PM
This is my first attempt to post a photo, if it works big thanks to Alligator. The photo is a PB that is about one and a half years old and 3#.

Posted By: Meadowlark Re: Pond and fish photos - 07/29/05 01:25 PM
Don,

Great picture of the peacock. They are a beautiful fish. Have you caught one on a fly, yet? How's your fly fishing coming along?
Posted By: BD Re: Pond and fish photos - 07/29/05 02:29 PM
Very nice PB.
I would really like to have a pond full of those!
Posted By: Don Smith Re: Pond and fish photos - 07/29/05 02:34 PM
ML, They are mean critters and full of fight, closer to your HSB but catch and release without stressing. I believe this variety will max out around 10# will be fun and lots more if I get this fly fishing down. I am still in Afghanistan but returning home 12 August, still waiting on the fly rod w/fingers crossed to arrive here before then. This one was caught on a Yo Zuri minnow.
Posted By: JayMan Re: Pond and fish photos - 07/29/05 08:50 PM
Since I am new to the forum I thought this would be a good opp to show you all my place. The pond is 1 acre with bass added last june, some adult BG added this year, and bullhead that have been in there forever. Here are a few pics. I tried to keep them small.

Posted By: Alabama Woody Re: Pond and fish photos - 07/30/05 03:06 AM
Nice place Jayman.
Posted By: Chip Rowland Re: Pond and fish photos - 07/30/05 03:56 AM
That's a little slice of heaven Jayman; nice photos.
Posted By: poland_jack Re: Pond and fish photos - 08/01/05 09:18 PM
Is that a catfish in the hands? Looks a little like a grinnel to me.
Posted By: JayMan Re: Pond and fish photos - 08/01/05 10:50 PM
Grinel? Is that a bowfin? Snakehead? None of those up here. That picture is of a pretty typical brown bullhead. Maybe a little under weight.
Posted By: poland_jack Re: Pond and fish photos - 08/01/05 11:40 PM
I've never seen a brown bullhead that I'm aware of. I guess we have black bullheads around here. That fish looks like it has scales on the body in the picture. Yeah, grinnel is bowfin.
Posted By: Matt Clark Re: Pond and fish photos - 08/05/05 03:43 PM
Lordy, that's a dandy bullhead! I admit, though, that we've used some that big for flathead bait when we can't get any smaller ones...
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Pond and fish photos - 08/06/05 08:02 PM

Posted By: ewest Re: Pond and fish photos - 08/06/05 08:07 PM
Bruce :

Great looking ponds with beautiful landscapes. Now everyone knows that Neb. is a lot more than flat ground and grass and crops. Having driven through years ago I saw varied landscapes and elevations with trees . ewest
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Pond and fish photos - 08/06/05 08:31 PM
End result of all that hard work?

BAIT!

Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Pond and fish photos - 08/06/05 10:28 PM
Bruce:

That's not fair, you have HILLS!

Very nice looking bunch of water. One question: what's the story with the rectangular pond in the upper right corner of your first picture? Swimming hole with 4 sides of nice white sand? White plastic liner? Nebraska's only Beach Volleyball court?
Posted By: ewest Re: Pond and fish photos - 08/07/05 01:13 AM
Bruce :

I want to order some bait but from the looks of that bait I don't have much that can eat bait that big . How big -- looks like 1.5 lbs and young , small tail and head. Lets hear the story and don't be bashful -- as sgt. Joe Friday use to say --just the facts sir. Was he from the all male pond ? ewest
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Pond and fish photos - 08/07/05 01:29 AM
The Kansan Glaciation period occurred about 400,00 years ago and left a big swath west of Lincoln that is about 25 miles long (north-south) and 4 miles wide (east-west). This period resulted in very hilly and extremely rocky land that row-croppers didn't have any use for. Consequently cattle grazing has been the primary use of this land. Good news for Bruce is that the land was CHEAP! It's near the town of Denton which is 10 miles west of town and land prices in 1998 were a mere 1300/acre. It also happens to have good draws for dam building and dense clay soils that hold water quite well. We're a little arid (about 25 inches or precip./yr) but that's not all bad if you have a well.

What looks like a rectangular pond is actually two side by side. What appears to be sand is 45 mil liner. The ponds are named Firestone I and Firestone II and are growout ponds for HSB and BG mutant freaks.

The bluegill in the photo, I am proud to say is a fish that I caught last night. It is an age-2 fish that is 9.5 inches and weighed 460 grams (just over one pound) My wife took the picture right before we lit a campfire and made s'mores. She really didn't get why I was so happy but you all probably get it all too well. ;\)
Posted By: Matt Clark Re: Pond and fish photos - 08/08/05 12:30 PM
Wife, campfire, s'mores and 1 lb gills in yer own pond...ain't life great!
Posted By: Chip Rowland Re: Pond and fish photos - 08/08/05 01:41 PM
That's a great place Bruce, my compliments.
Posted By: NEDOC Re: Pond and fish photos - 08/08/05 08:19 PM
Bruce, your pond looks great when its full. Can't wait to get back up there and do some fall fishin'. I will try to crawl up on my roof and get some shots.
Posted By: Edward P. Eitel Re: Pond and fish photos - 08/08/05 09:09 PM
Nice looking ponds Bruce! Can't wait to see them during HSB season this Fall.

Ed
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Pond and fish photos - 08/08/05 10:20 PM
Thanks for the comments! In all seriousness, next time I've toiling away and frustrated because all I do is WORK, WORK, WORK then I'm going to pull up this thread for consolation. \:D
Posted By: big_pond Re: Pond and fish photos - 08/09/05 12:09 AM
bmccreight
How big is that Lake of yours!!! Man !! I wish I could have something like this!! WOW!!!

Maybe some day I'll get there.....maybe some day..
Posted By: turkeyfootnc Re: Pond and fish photos - 08/09/05 12:59 AM
Hey Bruce

That ain't bait-that's supper. BTW very nice place you've got
Posted By: WranglerManJ Re: Pond and fish photos - 08/12/05 12:51 PM
My brother got one of those powered parachutes and started doing some aerial photography. Here's the south 4 acres of our property.

Full Size image
Posted By: Meadowlark Re: Pond and fish photos - 08/12/05 01:14 PM
WranglerManJ

If your brother ever has a hankering to dive over East Texas, I'd pay to pack his chute in return for a picture like that!
Posted By: bmccreight Re: Pond and fish photos - 08/12/05 04:51 PM
Big Pond, when I bought it, they said 12 acres. Hard to tell, it has a island in center and coves around. It was a good buy with just 55 acres of land. Had a cabin, barn, well and pump house. Two hour drive from Houston.
http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?T=1&S=10&Z=15&X=1120&Y=17407&W=3&qs=%7cflo%7ctx%7c
Posted By: Meadowlark Re: Pond and fish photos - 08/13/05 01:13 AM
Robinson,

I couldn't agree more with you on quality vs quantity....in ponds and most everything else.

I couldn't help buy wonder as I read your description of that great pond with the limestone ledge, how much indeed that limestone/mineral deposite had to do with your great fishing. A lot I suspect.
Posted By: Eastland Re: Pond and fish photos - 08/13/05 04:33 AM
You touched on a subject that facinates me...My Pop's place has Indian artifacts, burial mounds, and a natural spring. It's even marked on the maps as "tanyard" where the indians would cure their hides. It is awesome to roam thru the creekbeds, almost all the pools are crystal clear with lots of fish, no 5 lbs. though.

My property has 3 what appear to be graves on it as well, creates a spooky environment late at night when you're in the area ;\)
Posted By: overtonfisheries Re: Pond and fish photos - 08/13/05 07:36 PM
Just wondering what one of those powered parachutes might cost....

My wife and I were discussing that the other night, and have no idea.....
Posted By: Brad B. Re: Pond and fish photos - 08/13/05 08:50 PM
Bruce Condello,
Very nice ponds! Are the upper two excavated? Are these the ones you installed liners in? Do you keep those full with well water?

Brad Becker
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Pond and fish photos - 08/14/05 02:32 PM
Brad,

The upper two on the draw are excavated, but the two on the right are lined and filled with well water. All of the excavated ponds are about 50/50 mix of well and rain water. I think that you can kind of see the liner on the ponds to the right of the picture that shows five ponds.
Posted By: bc Re: Pond and fish photos - 08/14/05 02:56 PM
This pic thing is great everyones ponds are real nice I am going to attemp to put a pic in
Posted By: WranglerManJ Re: Pond and fish photos - 08/15/05 11:34 AM
My brother got his from this company.

Alliant

He actually used to work there and was on the design team that came up with the Falcon.

As far as pricing, I have no idea. They occasionally get used stuff in. Check ebay as well.
Posted By: Dirtguy Re: Pond and fish photos - 08/15/05 02:22 PM
Here's a picture of ~1/4 acre pond 1 that provides one of the ravine crossings to our homesite. I wasn't there when this one was built and am still too angry to discuss it. But hey, it's still better than no pond.

Pond 2 was created as an excuse to move our building site to a more scenic area and cross/dam another ravine in the process.
Last summer after completion.

About three weeks ago. This pond has ~9 acres of watershed and will take about 2 more years to fill. This summer has been brutal. Only a few contact springs have been maintaining the level you see. I'll cut the riser when I'm satisfied with the level.

Posted By: Meadowlark Re: Pond and fish photos - 08/15/05 02:53 PM
Nice pictures...but if it was me, those trees would have to go. Can't tell for sure, but I'm guessing they may die anyway when it fills.
Posted By: Dirtguy Re: Pond and fish photos - 08/15/05 09:26 PM
Yes,

That was one of the issues I had with the 1st pond builders. One 12" red oak is already dying. The large cottonwood might make it. You have to be there to make sure things get done right. These folks were recommended by the local NRCS technician.

I'll maintain a foot or two of freeboard below the big oak in pond #2 so it will hopefully make it.
Posted By: AaronhomeIN Re: Pond and fish photos - 08/16/05 05:38 AM
A little comic releif. Here is my weed eater. 280 tons of stone and over 50 trees removed just to get these guys in here for a snack......... \:D actually this is my little nest egg. Thanks to all of you I can now see water and fish. Before I had 100% heavy duckweed and no wanted fish could survive. I now have a healthy and loaded pond that will be ready for fishing in a few short years. This is the first year in my total renovation. no holds barred.

Here are a few of my spring stocking fish. The growth of these guys is amazing so far. Before my pond had crappie, bullhead, green sunfish. We fished it hard to remove all unwanted fish before stocking it. Now I see fish all over and they are the fish that I want to see..... \:\) Thanks to all so far for the overwhelming replies and keep um comin'
Posted By: rockytopper Re: Pond and fish photos - 08/16/05 09:31 PM
I started a post like this a few months back and got spanked by the pondboss, guess I'm not a LUNKER like you guys. I noticed BOB hasn't said anything so here goes again enjoy http://www.rockytoppers.com/the_pond.htm

You guys have some beauties
Posted By: george Re: Pond and fish photos - 08/16/05 11:59 PM
AaronhomeIN
I just noticed your weed-eaters….!
How are they working out?
Check my post: http://www.pondboss.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=14;t=000189

George Glazener
Posted By: AaronhomeIN Re: Pond and fish photos - 08/17/05 03:59 AM
George,

They goats work really well for weeds and roughage. If you want them to mow the grass they will not. Sheep will though. I allow my goats to browse the banks for about 2 hours a day before I head off to work. The pond bank was entangled about 6 feet high with briars and saplings. You can see the end result. I burn my banks in the spring and let the goats trim it through the summer. I know manure run off with goats fenced around a pond would probably end up on the unwanted side. Although it would take quite a while to match the manure left by one cow mess. My pond is already to nutrient rich and very fertile so I did not fence them in there. I do not feed my goats until after they have done thier chores around the pond. They know excactly were to go and love it. They can mow down some serious vegetation in short time. I keep them penned all but the 2 hours to keep them safe for my goats are pygmy goats and can fall prey to the nice neighbor dog easily. The goats make easily cared for pets. The kids love them and they save me time on the trimming.
Posted By: rockytopper Re: Pond and fish photos - 08/17/05 02:56 PM
Robinson, The house is 1750 sq ft living space it is open from one end to the other, 3 stores, 27 foot high ceiling,double lofts, you can see it in detail on my home design pages of the rockytoppers site. It's not really an A frame it has vertical walls and wrap around porches. If all three floors spanned the entire foot print the shell could house 3000+ sq ft. As for cost I designed it and built 90% of it myself in 1996. less than 85k invested(excluding my labor) It was very labor intensive. I would estimate in todays dollars if you hired it all done it would be more costly than a conventional ranch style because of the added labor cost to roof it and work at the 27 foot heights, took lots of scfolding to build.
Posted By: bobad Re: Pond and fish photos - 08/17/05 05:23 PM
Aaron,

I've never been much on goats until I got to looking at the pygmies. Cute little critters, and looks like they're useful too. I'll talk to the Department of the Interior (my wife) and see what she thinks.

You said in an earlier post that your pond would be ready to fish in a few years. Well, I think 1 year would be a closer guess than 2 years until you have some good fishing.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Pond and fish photos - 09/02/05 04:52 PM
NEDOC's pond!!

Posted By: NEDOC Re: Pond and fish photos - 09/02/05 05:40 PM
Hey Bruce, thanks a million. It is kinda hard to see as I took the pics at sunrise with steam coming off of the water(from on top of my roof). I will try to take some with a little better light.

Wow, I love this thread with all of these pictures. They have given me a million ideas. I guess my wife will have to start working harder so that I can afford some more pond amenities. \:D
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Pond and fish photos - 09/02/05 11:24 PM
DUUUDE! SMOKE ON THE WATER!
Posted By: Sunil Re: Pond and fish photos - 09/03/05 04:09 AM
Here's to Theo lettin' his freak flag fly!

Man, were you at Bhudokhan in '71?
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Pond and fish photos - 09/03/05 12:12 PM
 Quote:
Man, were you at Bhudokhan in '71?
Uhh, I don't remember. Was that where the brown acid was bad? :p
Posted By: Eastland Re: Pond and fish photos - 09/03/05 03:41 PM
Here is a pic of my pond :

Posted By: FattyMcButterpants Re: Pond and fish photos - 02/12/08 09:46 PM
 Originally Posted By: Bruce Condello
End result of all that hard work?

BAIT!

I cant believe this is the first time I have seen bruce dressed in his cowboy stripper outfit WITH hat!!!
Posted By: davatsa Re: Pond and fish photos - 02/12/08 10:30 PM
Have you seen him dressed in his cowboy stripper outfit WITHOUT hat or something?
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Pond and fish photos - 02/12/08 10:31 PM
 Originally Posted By: FattyMcButterpants
I cant believe this is the first time I have seen bruce dressed in his cowboy stripper outfit WITH hat!!!

I happen to know for a fact that he knows all the letters in "Y-M-C-A". \:o
Posted By: FattyMcButterpants Re: Pond and fish photos - 02/12/08 11:24 PM
 Originally Posted By: davatsa
Have you seen him dressed in his cowboy stripper outfit WITHOUT hat or something?

you must have missed the PB convention AFTERparty...
© Pond Boss Forum