Pond Boss
Posted By: Georgia Parasites! - 06/05/05 07:42 AM
I fished a neighbors lake today, caught quite a few bass. All looked really healthy and three of them were over 4 lbs. All were caught and released except one which was hooked badly in the gills. I have never kept any fish out of the lake but this one was obviously not going to make it. When I began to clean it I noticed parasites. They were about 3/4 of an inch, clear, and about the diameter of 50 lb monofilament. Burrowed under the scales was the head with 4 potrusions (sp?). What are they? How to get rid of them? I have eaten cats out of this lake, now I am worried they may have had them too and I not noticed. Is there a problem if the affected fish are eaten?
Posted By: bobad Re: Parasites! - 06/05/05 02:15 PM
Parasites are harmless if the fish is well cooked. Although I don't think many fish parasites can infect humans, even healthy-looking fish should be well cooked. I think catfish are more resistant to parasites than the sunfish family.

This is a very good reason to buy hatchery fish instead of transplanting local fish.

I have heard that redear sunfish somehow reduce certain parasites, I guess by eating the snails which are a vector. Maybe someone could clarify this.
© Pond Boss Forum