Pond Boss
Posted By: scsims Can anyone Identify these ducks? - 04/20/05 05:14 PM
I think I know what kind most of them are except for the brown ones and the ones with spots on there back.

Posted By: Just Joe Re: Can anyone Identify these ducks? - 04/20/05 05:48 PM
Either the Milk Man or Mail Man has been busy.
Posted By: Jim Re: Can anyone Identify these ducks? - 04/20/05 06:27 PM
You have a bunch of junkyard dogs there. Appear to be primarily Rouen and Pekin crosses which are all domestic Mallard derivatives. Adult males will have 2 upturned curly feathers in their tail.
Jim
Posted By: scsims Re: Can anyone Identify these ducks? - 04/20/05 06:31 PM
I had a feeling that the dark brown ones may have been Roen females, but the ones with spots have me fooled.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Can anyone Identify these ducks? - 04/20/05 06:40 PM
Around here, we identify the start of the boondocks as "where Hoot-Owls trod the Chickens."

I never knew they went after ducks, too. \:D
Posted By: Jim Re: Can anyone Identify these ducks? - 04/20/05 09:55 PM
Once you get a couple of generations of crossing, that's what you wind up with. The males are completely sex crazed and repeatedly mount the females. Typically you want a ratio of at least 3 or 4 to 1 female to male to prevent problems particularly when they are caged up.
Jim
Posted By: scsims Re: Can anyone Identify these ducks? - 04/20/05 11:51 PM
I bought them over the internet from Fairview hatchery. I bought the assortment. It did'nt say that there would be any mixed ducks in the bunch. They were suposed to be certain varieties. Some of them are Indian Runners, Cayuga, and Pekin. Well, maybe that did sick me with some mixed one too. Doesn't really matter they are all ducks.
Posted By: Svoberts Re: Can anyone Identify these ducks? - 04/21/05 06:40 PM
Just be careful of the white ones, they will start trying to sell you insurance!
Posted By: h20fwlkillr Re: Can anyone Identify these ducks? - 04/25/05 04:59 AM
The one's w/ the mottled backs are silver appleyard hens. The brown one's appear to be buff duck hens.
© Pond Boss Forum