Pond Boss
Posted By: Concerned Leaking Dam - 04/13/05 05:36 PM
About 2 years ago my neighbor built a large pond just above my residence. Last year the dam started leaking and continues to do so. I am very concerned of a catastophic failure of the dam and what may occur if this should happen. What may have caused this leaking and what can be done to fix it and insure the dam will not fail. My neighbor just offerd me a beer and claims that it will seal itself up. Any info will be appreciated.
Posted By: h20fwlkillr Re: Leaking Dam - 04/13/05 05:49 PM
If it is just seeping it may seal itself up with sediment over time. If it has a stream of water leaking from it dam failure is a very good possibility. If the county you live in is zoned you might be able to get the county building engineer involved to assess the problem and make your neighbor fix it if need be.
Posted By: Concerned Re: Leaking Dam - 04/13/05 11:08 PM
It is for sure a light stream. Think I should call the sheriff in our county?
Posted By: Eastland Re: Leaking Dam - 04/14/05 12:04 AM
How large is the pond upstream ? and has the flow always been the same ?
Posted By: Concerned Re: Leaking Dam - 04/14/05 01:15 PM
Started just wet and has increased to a moving flow of water. I contacted the sheriff, who refered me to the enginering division of the county. They arecoming out to look at it. He said he was involved in a similar situation several years ago in which they took legal action and made them drain the pond.
Posted By: Gainesjs Re: Leaking Dam - 04/14/05 03:42 PM
Is there any sign of soil eroding down the dam?
© Pond Boss Forum