Pond Boss
Posted By: allen_w POND PLANNING - 03/29/05 08:24 PM
I am currently planning a 1.2 acre pond, but have no idea what depth to dig it, or what fish to stock it with. I like catfish, crappie, and LMB.
Does any one have any suggestions on what fish combinations works best, and how many to stock. I also have a very small pond that has never been stocked with fish. can I use this pond to raise fatheads.
Posted By: Dave Davidson Re: POND PLANNING - 03/29/05 08:37 PM
I believe Splendora is near Houston. If you can always count on getting consistent rain, you can make it 10 to 12 ft. deep. However, if you aren't sure what to believe about the future of rain, make it 16 or so ft. deep.

As for stocking, forget about the crappie in a small pond. Catfish and LMB are ok but you have to figure out what you really want, how much work you are willing to do, etc. The oft repeated question is, 'What are your goals?".

Welcome to Pond Boss. Read the different threads here, subscribe to the magazine, and buy the Raising Trophy Bass book by Bob Lusk.

Keep your checkbook handy and don't lie to your wife. You'll get caught everytime.
Posted By: allen_w Re: POND PLANNING - 03/29/05 09:04 PM
Is it a good idea to stock full sized fish that I have caught from surrounding ponds, lakes, or rivers?
Posted By: bassandgrass Re: POND PLANNING - 03/29/05 09:27 PM
Do not start by stocking adult fish. Your best bet is to stock forage fish first(food for your predator fish)ex: bluegill, minnows, shad, etc. Once your forage species have established a healthy population, usually at least through a breeding season, then you can start to stock adult predator fish ex: large mouth bass, catfish, etc. Check into some of Bob Lusk's books they can point you in the right direction as far as establishing your pond. Do some searches through the posts here at the site and many questions will be answered by experienced pondmeisters. Good luck
Posted By: allen_w Re: POND PLANNING - 03/29/05 11:31 PM
where do i find bob lusks books?
Posted By: Dave Davidson Re: POND PLANNING - 03/30/05 12:07 AM
Look at the Pond Boss Home Page. It will have a link. I have bought several but the one that gets you started is the Raising Trophy Bass. Also download a magazine.
© Pond Boss Forum