Pond Boss
Posted By: duke I have a major Musk Rat problem.... - 03/29/05 01:04 PM
I have a shallow 8acre pond that is being over-run by muskrats. They chew holes in the levy and damage the outflo, as well as chewing a hole in a zodiac boat ($$$$$).

The previous owner put out traps and said he removes 50 musk rats each year, but they are back again next year.

What can I do to safely get rid of them? I hate to resort to the leg traps the previous owner used. Is there some chemical that is safe to use?
Posted By: DAN PATERSON Re: I have a major Musk Rat problem.... - 03/29/05 03:42 PM
Duke,

I have plans for a floating colony trap that will catch multiple 'rats that you do not have to be real handy to build and only costs a couple bucks to build. Depending on how large you want to make it it could hold 8-10 'rats that quietly drown after they enter the trap. It is a set it and forget it type that needs no daily attention.

I use that and quick kill Conibear traps rather than the foothold type. Every year I eliminate them from my pond but they come back every spring.
With my dogs and grandkids I don't want to use any kind of chemicals around the pond and it is illegial to shoot 'rats in Michigan.

To be "P.C." you should check your state and local game laws as everyplace is different

I would be glad to e-mail the article to you if you would like to try it.

Dan
Posted By: RobA Re: I have a major Musk Rat problem.... - 03/29/05 05:14 PM
Dan, plans for a DIY floating trap sound interesting. Can I get a copy?

Rob
Posted By: Frank Re: I have a major Musk Rat problem.... - 03/29/05 11:32 PM
Dan

I would like to see the plans also.

Thanks

Frank
Posted By: Haus Re: I have a major Musk Rat problem.... - 03/30/05 01:02 PM
I would like to see the plans also.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: I have a major Musk Rat problem.... - 03/30/05 01:32 PM
Duke,

In the future looks like you need to find yourself a reliable trapper to consistently take out your rats every trapping season. It shouldn't cost you a dime, and in fact you may be able to recieve part of the money from the sale of the pelts if you want to. Find the link to your state trappers association and you shouldn't have any trouble linking up to a local trapper.

You may also want to consider gettng rid of their food supply if feasible to discourage them from coming to your pond. Cattails are a prime food for them. Muskrats migrate into ponds in the spring and fall.

I just got a new influx of them this sprng took one out yesterday with a conibear. I was too lazy to get rid of all my cattails last year and lo and behold the muskrats are here.
Posted By: DAN PATERSON Re: I have a major Musk Rat problem.... - 03/30/05 03:45 PM
I agree with Cecil 100%. My pond is still 40% ice covered and I saw 3'rats yesterday and I know they were all "relocated" by the end of last summer. I have the time and enjoy the "game" going after them myself.

To locate a trapper try www.nationaltrappers.com
Near the bottom of their web page there is a link "Join your state TA". That will take you to a list of all state trapping associations with contacts to their directors. They will be able to give you information on local trappers.

Good luck,

Dan
Posted By: DAN PATERSON Re: I have a major Musk Rat problem.... - 03/30/05 05:10 PM
I should have added that almost all trapping seasons are closed now and the trappers will only trap during the legal season (usually late fall and winter) when the fur is worth something.
You can call a year round ADC (Animal Damage Control) trapper but you will have to pay a fee.
Sometimes if you do it yourself not intending to sell the fur you don't have those restrictions.
Posted By: Woody D Re: I have a major Musk Rat problem.... - 03/30/05 05:59 PM
Just so happens I am reading some articles in my AMERICAN TRAPPER magazine (am lifemember of National Trappers Assoc.) and there it is: the floating trap for muskrats on page34 of the Jan/Feb 2005 issue. It is very simple and it works as I have used in past with good results.
The unfortunate thing is I can not post a copy or part of here as it would be copyright infrinnment. As in a previous posting is a link to the assoc - otherwise their email link is: ntaheadquarters@national trappers.com. As stated above - its something you can put out and not have to examine everyday (unless you feel it would be overloaded).

Woody
Posted By: duke Re: I have a major Musk Rat problem.... - 03/30/05 06:04 PM
Thanks for the responses. I will have to see about finding a trapper. I would be very interested in seeing the trap you spoke of, though. I am not sure what I am allowed to do about the vegetation, but I will look into it.

I appreciate the help.
Posted By: Rangersedge Re: I have a major Musk Rat problem.... - 03/30/05 11:29 PM
duke:

Please do check out the NTA site. Your local game warden could also probably recommend a trapper.

Please also check your state regs. Colony traps can be very effective, but many states don't allow their use.

Fur prices haven't been good for a long time. In days of high fur prices and cheap gas, maybe you can expect the trapper to kick in some cash. In days of high gas prices and cheap fur, the trapper might expect you to kick in some cash.

I prefer connibear type traps for muskrats, but don't assume that footholds are cruel. They can easily be set up to quickly drown the muskrat. It could easily be a more humane death than chemicals.

Finally, trapping can be as enjoyable a sport as fishing. You might give it a shot if you haven't.

Jeff
Posted By: Ditch Boss Re: I have a major Musk Rat problem.... - 03/31/05 04:49 PM
Dan I,m also interested in getting a copy of the
Plans for a Floating colony trap.

Ditch Boss
Posted By: Meadowlark Re: I have a major Musk Rat problem.... - 03/31/05 06:18 PM
Dan,

You've got a best seller...too bad the Forum doesn't have a place where we could post those kinds of things for download. Thanks for sending me one.
Dan, I also would appreciate a plan.

Thanks in advance

Dave
Posted By: duke Re: I have a major Musk Rat problem.... - 04/01/05 01:41 AM
Dan, I would really appreciate a copy of the plans. My email is dukenyc@hotmail.com.

Thanks.
Posted By: JRJohnson Re: I have a major Musk Rat problem.... - 04/01/05 03:13 AM
Dan I would like a copy of the plans too. thanks
Please, Dan. I NEED a copy in the worst way. I've got six-foot long muskrats.

Bruce

bmcondello@bizfunctional.com

4901 Happy Hollow Lane
Lincoln, NE
By the way....

My Dad has always told me the story about the days that his poor Italian immigrant family used to eat "marsh rabbit". My grandpa Frank would go out and capture these marsh rabbits and bring them home for my grandma to cook.

Turns out that "marsh rabbit" was muskrat. It seems that my grandma didn't like the idea of eating something with the word rat in it. \:\)
Duke,

According to my trapper friend, the easiest way for a rookie to trap a muskrat is to use a live wire cage trap like "HaveAHart". Use muskrat trap lure. www.dunnsfishfarm.com sells the lure for $10.50 per ounce. He said you may have mink and there is some good shell fish oil that works well on muskrat, mink, and raccoons available at www.snareshop.com

To determine if you have muskrat, he said that you should look for shallow "caves" or "overhangs" dug in the pond bank where a muskrat will have a temporary retreat and restng place. They may also look like a cliff cut out of the bank. Look for fresh signs and place the trap close by. If you do not catch a rat, keep moving the trap until you find their busy area.

Good luck.
Posted By: DAN PATERSON Re: I have a major Musk Rat problem.... - 04/01/05 02:54 PM
Bruce,

Plans on the way. Six foot 'rats??? Hmmmm..
You need to get a picture to Theo for inclusion in the "News Release" post. Instead of the trap I think I would use the S&W method. Either the .500 Mag. or the new .460 EVR should do nicely.
Posted By: Ric Swaim Re: I have a major Musk Rat problem.... - 04/01/05 10:17 PM
Do check the regs.
Most likely you'll need a depredation permit to remove the rats out of season, and a trapping license in season.
Posted By: karl rambo Re: I have a major Musk Rat problem.... - 04/02/05 10:25 PM
Dan
I would like a copy of the plans also. My email is scooter.rambo@rambomarine.com
Thanks a lot.
Posted By: duke Re: I have a major Musk Rat problem.... - 04/05/05 01:28 PM
Has anyone gotten a set of the plans yet?

Dan, if you sent me a set, I never got them. my email is dukenyc@hotmail.com. Please send them as soon as you can as I would love to start building it. thanks.

BTW, they have burrowed through my dam, and the pond level has dropped a foot and a half \:\(
Posted By: DAN PATERSON Re: I have a major Musk Rat problem.... - 04/05/05 01:37 PM
Duke,

I sent you a e-mail last Friday and another one just now. Can't send plans via e-mail but if you send me a mailing address I will be glad to send a hard copy.

Dan
Posted By: Meadowlark Re: I have a major Musk Rat problem.... - 04/05/05 02:19 PM
I got my plans. Thanks, Dan. Now to see if they will work on nutria.
Posted By: RobA Re: I have a major Musk Rat problem.... - 04/08/05 01:58 PM
I am going to try to build the floating trap this weekend. Not sure how much floatation it will require but I was thinking of using of using some old thin walled PVC pipe filled with spray foam insulation.
Posted By: NEDOC Re: I have a major Musk Rat problem.... - 04/08/05 03:41 PM
Bruce, a six foot muskrat? Next thing we know you will be telling us you shot one in mid air! \:D :p
Posted By: Bob Koerber Re: I have a major Musk Rat problem.... - 04/08/05 06:56 PM
Or one that had a 5 ft great blue heron in its' grasp!
Dan, thanks for the plans. Simple concept.

Dave
Dan, Thanks for sending the plans! We're already building one.

Bruce
Posted By: DAN PATERSON Re: I have a major Musk Rat problem.... - 04/09/05 02:11 PM
Good Luck, guys. I've only got 1 working trap, the others need the wood replaced or other maintenance, but I got 4 Monday, 2 Wednesday and 1 last night. Prolific little rascals.

Meadowlark is building a larger version and is going to try it on Nutria. I'm sure he will report any success he has.

Another tip you might consider, (IF- your pond is away from the house or you don't mind) I made a bunch of open top baskets out of the same wire cage material that I hang from posts in 4 or 5 feet of water. I whack the dead critter with a large machette and dump the carcass in the basket. Nature and the flies do the rest and soon there are little white wiggly protien morsels dropping into the pond. I did add piece of plywood to keep the sun and birds off the rotting carcass. Woodchucks, road kill, anything that will rot works. Not sure about armadillo......

Dan
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: I have a major Musk Rat problem.... - 04/10/05 02:32 AM
Dan:

Around here they call that contraption a "Maggot Box." I have considered using one if I ever have a second pond that I don't swim in. Please let us know if you find a downside to using it.
Hello All,

Dan and Bruce, thank you very much for the plans. I have finally got the thing built. I used a $12 pre-made colony trap that I purchased online for the top, then fabricated a box underneath and stapled hardware cloth for the bottom cage. I attached some foam for additional floatation at each end.

I was not sure on the length needed for the dive hole tube. I made this 1/2 the depth of the under cage (6 in). I am ready to try my luck this weekend. Everyone has said apples are the ticket. I also have some "muskrat wacker" lure that I plan on using.

Update you all in a couple weeks.

Thanks Again
Posted By: duke Re: I have a major Musk Rat problem.... - 05/26/05 05:14 PM
Dan, is there any chance of emailing me a set of the plans, or is your eamil still down?
Posted By: DAN PATERSON Re: I have a major Musk Rat problem.... - 05/27/05 02:32 PM
Duke,

I sent you a e-mail back on March 31st. and one yesterday. It's the scanner that is giving me problems, (probably operator error) but if you send me a mailing address I would be happy to send you a paper copy.

Dan
© Pond Boss Forum