Pond Boss
Posted By: Wood First ice - 10/02/04 04:36 AM
Woke up this morning to find a thin layer of ice on one end of my pond. Air temps were 18f. Trees are bare, winter is near. I would like to thank those here who have helped myself and others, build, grow and nurture our ponds. We've spent the last 12 years here working on our land, and the last couple developing the pond and have now decided to sell and move away to further my career. One would think after enduring these northern climates, we would be moving south, at least a little. Not us, 400km North is where I'm moving the family. \:D
You can be sure, once we are settled on new land, a new pond will be in the works, after all I learned, it will be bigger and better this time. I'll keep you posted.
Posted By: Sarchasm Re: First ice - 10/02/04 05:20 AM
All I can say is... BBRRRRRRRRRRRR........
That chills my cold intolerant wimpy self to the bone.

Good Luck,
Sarc
Posted By: Jimmy Re: First ice - 10/02/04 10:53 AM
Hey Wood, You just want to ice fish all year round eh.
Posted By: Wood Re: First ice - 10/02/04 04:03 PM
Gotta love it Jimmy.

My pond boy.
Posted By: TEXAS715 Re: First ice - 10/03/04 11:18 PM
You can have it. I'll keep my 87 today. Is that normal to that cold a weather already?
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: First ice - 10/04/04 12:01 AM
Wood,

How about an arctic char pond? Sounds like you're far enough north. \:D
Posted By: birddog Re: First ice - 10/04/04 05:17 PM
Wood,

You make me feel like I live in a warm climate! We got down into the mid 20's overnight this weekend but no ice yet. I'm trying to pull out a bunch of Trout before freeze up so I hope I have a few more weeks before ice.

Good luck on the move.

Larry
Posted By: Rowly Re: First ice - 10/04/04 07:50 PM
Wood, sounds like northern sun tanning weather.....Cecil is right ARTIC CHAR! I was at a seminar @ the University of Guelph last year and they were experimenting with char. They looked great and a very good market in SW Ontario for them. GO find that oil as gas here is over 80 cents a litre up from the low 70's a few weeks ago before the $50 US a barrel.

Rowly
Posted By: Bob Koerber Re: First ice - 10/04/04 07:53 PM
Last night was our coldest of the fall 47 degrees but was in the 80's yesterday and about 83 out right now. Last year we froze the first week of October.

Bob
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: First ice - 10/05/04 12:38 AM
Pond temps in NW Ohio are currently 64F and gradually cooling.
Posted By: Dave Davidson Re: First ice - 10/05/04 08:30 PM
Hey Wood, when I read the first of your message, I hoped that your recent visit to Texas was for a job interview. Tell Santa Claus and Frosty the Snowman I said Howdy.
Posted By: Bob Koerber Re: First ice - 10/06/04 03:49 PM
Checked my surface temp last night and I am still at 70 degrees. Nights have been in the upper 40's lately but mid 80's during the day. Catfish are still tearing up the food.
Posted By: Coach B Re: First ice - 10/06/04 04:13 PM
Bob, got down to 37 last night here in Lewisburg. I believe I saw a little frost on some roofs down in the holler.

Wood, I can't imagine how cold it is up there. Its cold enough for me down here in Tennessee. We haven't run the AC for two or three weeks and may be done with it til May.
Posted By: Bob Koerber Re: First ice - 10/07/04 01:01 AM
Lack of using A/C is great been off about the same here. Checked the meter Saturday after they read and looks like bill is only gonna be about 150.00 down from 300+ WOO-HOO getting the well dug deeper Monday! Maybe I can fill the pond back up from the drought here.

Bob
Posted By: Wood Re: First ice - 10/09/04 02:04 AM
Bob, Coach B, I put a window airconditioner in my bedroom for two weeks in August, it got up to 90. \:D I mostly spend my time trying to heat things.
Dave D, actually my trip to Tulsa & Odessa is in three weeks, unfortunatley I move in two. Gonna miss out on the bass trip too! Give me a few months up north and maybe I will wish I was in Texas.
Wood
© Pond Boss Forum