Pond Boss
Posted By: george Fish Shockers ? - 09/30/04 01:26 PM
Does anyone remember the "old timer stories" about shocking catfish with hand crank telephones?
Did it actually work?
Posted By: Bob Koerber Re: Fish Shockers ? - 09/30/04 02:08 PM
I've heard about that and also using a Megger but not sure if it would work. Was thinking of adding an extension to one of the spark plug wires on the old 35hp johnson dropping the end in the water and firing up the other cylinder now there would be a shocker!
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Fish Shockers ? - 09/30/04 02:20 PM
I've heard our biologists talk about something called a "Skoal Box" which apparently delivers a low level current which brings big flatheads to the surface for sampling. They're kind of hush,hush about what it really is and I'm certain it's illegal in this state.
Posted By: Ric Swaim Re: Fish Shockers ? - 09/30/04 10:06 PM
Yes it worked on cats.
It's legal here in NC in certain rivers where they want to reduce the pop. of flatheads.
Posted By: Matt Clark Re: Fish Shockers ? - 10/05/04 03:46 PM
Oh yeah, old Ma Bell...she works, or so I've been told...

Actually, back in my wilder (read dumber) days, we'd do this for a kick on a hot summer day and then try to sneak back to shore without getting caught. Only ever seems to work in streams/rivers, but not ponds, and I never quite figured that out. I'm just about convinced that it's because rivers (flowing water, anyway) has more dissolved and suspended solids. Ponds are much cleaner, usually, and dissolved solids are what conduct electricity. Pure, or distilled water will not carry a current. That might be it, or I may be way off the mark...

Matt Clark ;\)
© Pond Boss Forum