Pond Boss
Posted By: Christopher monster catfish!! - 09/07/04 12:23 PM
well we went catfishing for the first time after stocking roughly 6 -7 mths ago. We purchaced the lake last nov, and stocked in jan , 10 -12 inch channels.. we also have a 200# stren feeder, and a 75# on the lake with the catfish.. we feed 3 times a day. well we tossed in that ol chicken liver,.. boom.. first fish out.. 3.3lbs.. i was amazed.. almost in shock, .. strigered him, about 20 mins later.. f-in soft shelled turtle, larger than a dinner plate.. sorry to say, he did'nt make it! . about 15 mins later. BOOM.. i'm like man (talkin to my brother in law).. another stupid tutrle.. he's like yeah.. get him closer.. MAN!!.. 4.5LB channel \:D .. i was floored. .is this right.. these guys grow that fast?.. ..

THANKS POND BOSS!.. \:\)

chris
Posted By: Bob Lusk Re: monster catfish!! - 09/07/04 12:43 PM
It's amazing what proper feeding does. At the same time, your fish growth seems beyond exceptional.
Posted By: big_pond Re: monster catfish!! - 09/07/04 01:11 PM
There is a guy here who has Blue cats that grew to over 8 lbs in 18 months. But they were eating on shad, not pellets...
Posted By: Norm Kopecky Re: monster catfish!! - 09/07/04 01:20 PM
Christopher, there are a lot of people in this world that love to eat soft shell turtles and will pay good money for them.
Posted By: TEXAS715 Re: monster catfish!! - 09/07/04 02:58 PM
That seems like great growth on the cats. My channels haven't grown that much. My blues do better.

Send anyone that will pay for softshell turtles my way. I shoot several on a weekly basis. They eat the fish pellets. Have way more than I can deal with.
Posted By: Bill Duggan Re: monster catfish!! - 09/07/04 03:19 PM
12 inches to 4.5 pounds in 7 months. My guess is you had some cats in the pond before you stocked earlier this year.
Posted By: Christopher Re: monster catfish!! - 09/07/04 05:09 PM
"My guess is you had some cats in the pond before you stocked earlier this year. "..

none... the previous owner, only stocked flordia bass, black bass, bluegill and redear in this pond, These are the first catfish in this lake. we stocked 25lb of fatheads, 300 bgill 3-5" and 200 redear 3-5" when we stocked the catfish!(250 channels'10-12inches) oh, and 100lbs of crawfish...and with the feeders.. trust me. i'm floored.. he was huge!. and its feed, i checked the belly when i cleaned em!..at first i thought it had eggs.. but that was'nt the case..

chris.
Posted By: big_pond Re: monster catfish!! - 09/07/04 05:11 PM
So,
TEXAS715 you have blue ctas as well as a very few others of us. I only know of three others who grow blue cats.

How well do they do in your pond?? Tell me about them...
How big are they and when did you stock them? Have you found anything about there "Hardiness" to adverse conditions that was any less than your channes or any other fish for that matter?
© Pond Boss Forum