Pond Boss
Posted By: Larry in Florida Walking catfish - 08/24/04 11:09 AM
This must be a plague to0 Florida, but I saw a catfish that had upper and lower fins that ran the length of it's body in my pond this AM eating the fish food.

1. Is this a walking catfish?
2. Other than eating the food, is it a problem?
3. Other that waiting at the bank with my .45, is there a way to get rid of it/prevent others? My pond is about 250' from a public canal and at leat 600' from my neighbors pond. It is the rainy season here in Florida and condition might be right for them to travel.
Posted By: Toby Davis Re: Walking catfish - 08/24/04 01:05 PM
Larry,
I live in eastern Manatee County. My pond is about 4 years old now. Walking catfish are spreading throughout S. Florida brought here from Asia either through accident or purpose. As to what they mean to you, they are like weeds in your garden. No matter what you do they will always be there. The biggest problem with them is that they are prolific, consume fish pellets, and don't get very big. However, I have caught a few 12-16 inch ones which are just as tasty as their American cousins. Just kill everyone you catch.
Toby
Posted By: Bob Lusk Re: Walking catfish - 08/26/04 07:29 AM
Take a look at the photo on the link below. If this is what you have, assist in its suicide.

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/Gallery/Descript/WalkingCatfish/WalkingCatfish.html
Posted By: lildumper Re: Walking catfish - 08/26/04 11:27 AM
It looks like it might be a relative of the snakehead, same look only with whiskers. Do these walking cats also breathe air instead of getting O2 from the water?
Posted By: Toby Davis Re: Walking catfish - 08/26/04 05:34 PM
Larry,
The Asian walking catfish is easily recognized by the single top fin going all the way to the tail. It also has 8 whiskers. It has a rudimentary lung that allows it to function out of water. Watch your pond. Asian catfish make single "POPS" at the surface as they exchange air. I guarantee you have them.
Toby
Posted By: Ric Swaim Re: Walking catfish - 08/27/04 12:32 AM
 Quote:
numerous countries have "blacklisted" the walking catfish, including the United States, which has classified all members of the family Clariidae as injurious wildlife, illegal to possess without a federal permit.
You may have to get a permit?

Quote:
Analysis by one researcher noted levels of abundance as great as 3,000 pounds of walking catfish per acre.
That's alot of catfish!
Posted By: Toby Davis Re: Walking catfish - 08/27/04 02:48 AM
Ha Ric,
Man I hope they find out I dont have a permit to have them. Do you think they will come and take them from me? Hope so.
Toby
Posted By: Ric Swaim Re: Walking catfish - 08/27/04 04:35 PM
\:D
Posted By: Brad B. Re: Walking catfish - 08/27/04 05:04 PM
Don't laugh to hard! They'll probably fine you, give you 30 days to get rid of them, and if you don't they will send in a team of eradicators and charge you for the costs!

Brad B.
© Pond Boss Forum