Pond Boss
Posted By: Rangersedge Gazebo advice - 08/17/04 11:26 PM
Well... Contractor has been booked far in advance and I haven't had spare time anyway so haven't done much with my lake this summer. I still plan to drain it down to a depth of 10' or so and then do some work this fall and most next summer.

Now I'm thinking ahead to building a gazebo on the island. Not your regular gazebo. I'm thinking a three story one. First floor for get togethers, grilling, etc. Second floor screened in for sleeping. Top floor with a balcony for star-gazing and trespasser / wildlife watching.

Here is where I need advice. I thought about using wood posts as the supports; but I don't want coons climbing them and tearing up my mosquitoe screens or defecating. Plus wood eventually rots. I thought about using heavy iron posts (oil field casing); but someone pointed out that a tall iron structure on an island surrounded by water might attract lightning. That may not be a good thing. I thought about getting some 8" PVC and filling it with concrete. I'm not certain how strong that would be.

I've searched the web unsuccessfully so far. This site has a lot of people on it with a wide range of knowledge. Any advice or good links you've found?
Posted By: lakedoctor Re: Gazebo advice - 08/18/04 03:22 AM
Hey Ranger,How's it going?I read your post and had to jump in here and tell you about the one I saw that was built in the middle of a pond that was really impressive.It was built in the middle of a 9 acre pond that I treated for sago pond weed.It was constructed out of used telephone poles. They were set in the shape of an indian teepee.It had 3 stories and was fully inclosed.It had a deck around it and a top that had a light as to give it the appearance of a lighthouse.It is really an eye catcher.Give me a call and I'll give you the location you have to check this out.You'll have to have one.Hope all is well with you and yours. Doc
Posted By: lildumper Re: Gazebo advice - 08/18/04 11:38 AM
Your best information will come from your local building department. This type of structure will generally require permits and zoning prior to construction due to the height. I doubt that 8" pvc filled with concrete would be structurally sound at that height and it's not a listed building practice in the IRC 2000, but I don't know what code you are under in your area. Good luck with your project.
Posted By: Rangersedge Re: Gazebo advice - 08/27/04 11:49 PM
Thanks for the advice! Lakedoctor: I'll give you a call soon.
© Pond Boss Forum