Pond Boss
Posted By: bc blue gills - 07/05/04 01:24 AM
How long do blue gill spawn and how many times a year? I have holes all dug through my pond everywhere from them this is the first year I have reaally seen this it is neat to watch them. There are a couple close to my house that have neen there since the first of june and they just keep going. We catch them put them back and they come right back to the back sometimes I can reach down and touch them with my hand they act like they just dont care then swim off. I know they could be different ones as the weeks go buy but I just wondering if anyone knew anything about there spawning habits.
Posted By: Eastland Re: blue gills - 07/05/04 02:31 AM
BC, Bluegill generally spawn from Mid May to Mid October, but cold weather can change it up a bit. In your area, you should get at least 3 or 4 spawns, up to 10,000 eggs per fish. The nests will turn over from fish to fish as they become ready to spawn. Once occupied, they become VERY agressive to anything entering the area, fun stuff to watch. I've seen established "communities" where the same fish actually have their home. If your fish are competing for a spawning bed, that's a good sign, that means you have a LOT of bgill and they need to take turns. Most often, the large adults occupy the deeper beds and compete to keep them. Fun stuff...and you can even hand feed them if you're patient enough.
Posted By: Rowly Re: blue gills - 07/05/04 01:23 PM
Eastland or Others, any idea on the number of times a pumpkinseed or bluegill would spawn in my location on the north shore of Lake Erie in SW Ontario????? I bet less than 80 miles north from Bill C. Thanks
Posted By: Eastland Re: blue gills - 07/05/04 02:23 PM
Rowly, Your Pumpkinseeds will be much like the bgill, they often have their nests in the same colonies, they even cross breed. The peak of your spawn was in June, but in a warm year, it's possible for them to spawn into August. The males will tend to 2 or 3 nests a year, with multiple females depositing their eggs in the same nest. The female will leave 600-5000 eggs, but in one study, 14,600 fry were collected from a single nest. As long as your water temp stays above 15°C /68°F you'll have activity.
Posted By: Rowly Re: blue gills - 07/06/04 12:22 PM
Eastland, thanks for the info. Our 19 acre gravel pit is considered shallow with 60% 6' or less in depth. Therefore, it warms up well and I do have active nests into the later summer months. Because of the sand and gravel, the BG will find their area in the gravel and make their nests in 2-3' of water in specific areas. It looks like a war zone with all the craters 50 to 100 in a group all over the lake (4 or 5 specific areas)but is quite interesting to observe from the waterbikes. I started with approx 1000 adult fish 3 years ago and today there are many various sizes from YOY to 8" plus with most in the 4-6" range. Last year I added approx 100 adult LMB and 40 SMB pre-spawn. Today, the lake is shaping up well with the LMB/SMB growing very well in size and relative weight with 2 spawns. Is my thinking correct that in 4-5 more years the lake should be at its peak with fish capacity within this clear water biomass. Thanks

Rowly
© Pond Boss Forum