Pond Boss
Posted By: Bard cedar trees - 05/04/04 12:07 AM
They have just finished my 1 acre pond and i am trying to decide on what type of structure to put in it. They cut down a 30' cedar tree and i was wondering would it hurt to put the whole thing in my new pond or should i just put part of it in? I am going to try and cover 20% of the pond with structure but i want to put in something the fish will like and not hang all my lures up on. I can get wooden pallets at work but i was wondering how long they last before they rot? I have only found 1 oak pallet so i dont think i can get anymore of those. I was also wondering if someone had a picture of the pvc trees so i could get a better idea of how to make one of those.
I am planning on stocking fat head minnows, bream, and redears once i fill the pond up. This fall i am planning on stocking Bass and Channel Cat.
I have done a lot of reading on the website and i am thankful for all of the information i have learned from here. This website has probably saved me a lot of money and saved me from messing up my new pond. Thanks for anymore help you can provide.

Brad
Posted By: David Reed Re: cedar trees - 05/04/04 12:25 PM
I would put the whole cedar tree in the pond. Be sure to anchor it down with something so it will not move around. As for getting hung up, cedars will hang you up a lot. But I like them because they will last a long time and they provide good dense cover for the little fellows.
Posted By: Meadowlark Re: cedar trees - 05/04/04 05:56 PM
Yes put the whole tree in and mark its location with a floater. I have some cedars that have been in water for three years now and they provide excellant cover.
© Pond Boss Forum