Pond Boss
Posted By: Pottsy Thin Ice (Lesson Learned) - 03/30/04 03:20 PM
I learned a valuable lesson yesterday; don't walk along the same path as that your aeration line follows. \:o

I still have about 12 inches or so of ice on my pond although it is getting thinner around the egdes, the area in close proximity to my airstones, and water inlet. Because of this majority ice thickness I still felt pretty safe walking out onto the pond to move some lumber from one side to the other. Well it turns out I had a small leak in my airline... not enough to create an opening in the ice but enough to thin it out to about 2 or 3 inches in one small spot... apparently not thick enough to support my 200lbs. Well kids I don't need to tell you that 34 degree water is COOOOOLLLLDDD!
Posted By: Wood Re: Thin Ice (Lesson Learned) - 03/30/04 11:15 PM
I bet that got your attention, kinda makes your heart skip a beat. I'm glad your ok, hypothermia sets in quick and most people panic. As of yesterday, my pond is off limits. There is still about 2 feet of ice but there is also about a foot of water on top and it's getting soft and rotten. March was unusually warm and today got to 22c, saw my first Robin this morning, maybe early ice out this year. \:\)
Posted By: Pottsy Re: Thin Ice (Lesson Learned) - 03/31/04 04:34 PM
Hey Wood, it got my attention indeed. : )

22 Degrees eh? I noticed high temps for your area on the Weather Channel... warmer then the 13 or so we hit! That has to be a record!

Looking at the longterm for Edmonton it seems you just might get an early ice-out. But with the way the weather seems to vary there the week after this you may get a foot of snow.
Posted By: Canis Re: Thin Ice (Lesson Learned) - 03/31/04 04:39 PM
Hey Pottsy...wanna hire a lifeguard??? ;\)
Seriously, glad that you're here and not in the hospital...BE CAREFUL!!!!
© Pond Boss Forum