Pond Boss
Posted By: Pottsy Informal Surface Temp Survey - 10/27/03 08:47 PM
Just looking for a little help in conducting an informal water surface temperature survey, no specific reason for the survey beyond personal curiousity.

For those of you that take pond temperature readings, what are your current surface temps and approximate geographical location?

Thank you.
Posted By: Wood Re: Informal Surface Temp Survey - 10/27/03 09:57 PM
Water temp 39F as of yesterday. Weather forecast here is calling for air temps of 28F for a high and 7F for a low, with snow by the weekend. I am North West of Edmonton Alberta.
Wood.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Informal Surface Temp Survey - 10/28/03 01:25 AM
Water temp in NW Ohio was 54F today. In 2000 at this time it was 60F, 2001 = 55F, and 2002 = 56F. Fish have really slowed down eating. I'm only feeding twice a week now and not much feed each time. Fish are getting more sluggish. What are your temps Pottsy?
Posted By: Bob Lusk Re: Informal Surface Temp Survey - 10/28/03 02:48 AM
North Texas water temps are 76 degrees and falling. We had lows in the 70's, highs near 90 last week, but a front has passed, and our low this morning was 39.
Posted By: Pottsy Re: Informal Surface Temp Survey - 10/28/03 04:58 PM
Currently I am sitting at 40F and I couldn't pay a fish to bite right now. 76 in Texas eh Mr. Lusk? Wow... I want to move. : )
Posted By: BrianH Re: Informal Surface Temp Survey - 10/28/03 06:11 PM
I don't know how you can stand it. Our low was 38F and I already hate winter!
Posted By: Wood Re: Informal Surface Temp Survey - 10/28/03 11:54 PM
You wouldn't want to live here. Last winter I watched the digital thermometer drop to -40 c which is where fahrenheit and celcius are equal. And we get at least seven months of winter.
Wood
Posted By: Ed Richter Re: Informal Surface Temp Survey - 10/29/03 12:42 AM
Northwest Houston, 6:30PM.

Surface temp in a 4ac pond, 67 Deg F
Outside temp, 68 Deg F

Temps are dropping for the night, but overall are climbing after two day cold front. I used $1.75 aquarium thermometer that I picked up on the way home and Weather.com for the outside temp. By the time I finished writing this, the website updated to 63 Deg F.
Posted By: Dave Davidson Re: Informal Surface Temp Survey - 10/29/03 02:30 AM
This weekend is the opening week of deer (rifle) season in Texas. The Monarch Butterflies are still passing through on their migration South. Temps this coming weekend will be in the 80's.

Hey Wood, we usually get about 5 to 6 months of summer, not counting August. August is a season all by itself. You guys up North wouldn't like our electric bills during A/C season.
Posted By: Dave Willis Re: Informal Surface Temp Survey - 10/29/03 01:17 PM
Surface temp at a South Dakota pond: 39 F. We went from summer a week ago (80s), to 30s and 40s for daily highs.

Dave
Posted By: TEXAS715 Re: Informal Surface Temp Survey - 10/29/03 03:03 PM
Temps here in central Texas low of 46. Water temp 76.
Posted By: Pottsy Re: Informal Surface Temp Survey - 10/29/03 04:47 PM
Dave D - I'll trade you my heating bill for your A/C bill any day. : ) (Currency conversion not withstanding... haha)
Posted By: Dave Davidson Re: Informal Surface Temp Survey - 10/29/03 07:58 PM
Chris Potts, No way I'd trade a keep cool bill for a stay warm bill. And, I might add, money has nothing to do with it. When it gets cold, I envy the Monarch butterflies that migrate South.

Not that it doesn't get cold here. Joe Theisman played in the Cotton Bowl on New Years Day once. He said it was the coldest he had ever been and he was from cold country. They were concerned that he would never get to play in the NFL. They thought he had frostbite.

They say that there is nothing between Canada and Amarillo but a barbed wire fence and its mostly down.
Posted By: Wood Re: Informal Surface Temp Survey - 10/29/03 09:22 PM
Dave D, We do actually get summer here, it's called three months of tough snowmobiling. Speaking of which, I woke up to six inches of snow this morning. Lucky me! BTW, whats it like to lip grab a fish, wouldn't dare around here. LoL
Wood
Posted By: Dave Davidson Re: Informal Surface Temp Survey - 10/30/03 09:48 PM
6 inches of what? I'll have to get my dictionary out for that 'snow' word.

Forecast for this weekend is high of 85 and 20 to 30 mph winds. It'll probably stay that way for a while. We usually get 1 or 2 days down in the teens overnight with some ice. Everybody stays home from work rather than endanger their lives and get a rate increase on their auto insurance. Below 32 degrees F is significant here.

Of course, we are now 18 inches low on rainfall over the last 2 years. That is pretty significant. I planted wheat and it germinated underground; then died. No fall rains.
Posted By: Dave Davidson Re: Informal Surface Temp Survey - 10/31/03 12:25 PM
Wood, Lip a fish?
Why son, here in Texiz, we have to bring our 4WD pickup to the side of the stock tank, unroll the winch cable, apply the hook, and drag them in. Wasn't that way before Lusk started Pond Boss.
Posted By: Wood Re: Informal Surface Temp Survey - 10/31/03 03:31 PM
That's where my problem is, 4x4 wouldn't start this morning and my pond is frozen. -3f (-20c) as of this am. Ice fishin soon!! This weather is actually good for your economy, those Bowie pumps don't fare well when left overnight full of water.
Wood
Posted By: Tuzz Re: Informal Surface Temp Survey - 11/01/03 01:13 AM
What is this? Ping Pong between north and south of the border!

Here in the middle (New York State) we are just completing our fall season with some indian summer this weekend. It may hit 75 degrees this weekend. We may also have snow between now and Thanksgiving and have already had our killing frost. The colors were most meomorable due to all the rain this summer and theen a good cold snap two weeks ago.
Posted By: jbrockey Re: Informal Surface Temp Survey - 11/01/03 11:44 PM
on the south side of virginia, the water is hovering at 60 degrees, a little cooler than this time last year.
Posted By: Dave Davidson Re: Informal Surface Temp Survey - 11/03/03 03:07 AM
Wood, Frozen is almost a foreign concept here. I deer hunted this weekend in 85 degree temp. Wind speed 25 to 30 mph. Just doesn't seem right. Zillions of blackbirds heading South and one big flock of snow geese lit on a neighbors 20 acre stock tank. Mallards every day.

Pottsy, my surface temp is 74 degrees F.
Posted By: Robert B Re: Informal Surface Temp Survey - 11/03/03 01:36 PM
Last Thursday, had a shalow spring fed pond read 51 deg F. There was some late filamentous growth which is unusual. Have noted it on 2 other ponds this year in N. Illinois.
Robert B
Posted By: Pottsy Re: Informal Surface Temp Survey - 11/03/03 05:39 PM
Dave - 74 now? Dang... haven't seen surface temps that high for more then 2 months....
Posted By: Dave Davidson Re: Informal Surface Temp Survey - 11/03/03 10:18 PM
Chris, We have a cold front blowing in from Colorado that will hit the end of the week. Supposed to lower daytime temps to the mid 60's. Shouldn't affect surface temps because it probably won't last long this year. They said it might also rain but that would be hard to believe.
Posted By: Bob Koerber Re: Informal Surface Temp Survey - 11/11/03 01:53 PM
Checked my temp last night and I am at 56 degrees a little cooler than I would have figured seeing how warm it has been this fall.

Bob
Posted By: Pottsy Re: Informal Surface Temp Survey - 11/11/03 03:50 PM
Dave - 60 degrees is a cold front? I wish.

Bob- How cold does it get in your area of Alabama?

My current surface temp requires an ice-pick to measure. :rolleyes:
Posted By: Dave Davidson Re: Informal Surface Temp Survey - 11/11/03 04:11 PM
Chris, A what-pick?
Actually, the weather got down into the forties last weekend with a cold rain. Made for uncomfortable deer hunting. Heck, cold and wet is cold and wet regardless of the area. I didn't bother with a surface temp reading because the fresh rain water would skew it anyway.
Today is back in the upper 70's but the fronts are coming back. Forecasts of intermittant rain with highs in the lo 50's. I fed fish Sunday but they were sorta lethargic.
Posted By: Jimmy Re: Informal Surface Temp Survey - 11/11/03 10:14 PM
Water temps were in the mid 50's this past saturday, and dipped down to 50 by mon.Air temps reached mid teens as a low Sunday night. With this said, the bass were still biting on fatheads all weekend.
© Pond Boss Forum