Pond Boss
Posted By: fishy Identiying Hybrid Bgill offspring - 09/15/03 07:09 PM
Hi all, I stocked hybrid Bgills, regular bgills and bass about 3 years ago, and have been removing all hybrids caught (Based on what I read here, I don't want green sunfish). How do I recognize any fish that may be from the few Hybrids that did spawn or breed with regular bgills? I have been looking for the ones with larger mouths,and remove them but I also catch some bgills that have bright orange/yellow bellies and seem more colorful than regular bgills but they seem to have the smaller mouth that I associate with regular bgills. Is there a better way for me to identify fish that may revert back to green sunfish? I appreciate all help!
Posted By: Shawn Banks Re: Identiying Hybrid Bgill offspring - 09/15/03 08:28 PM
Look for yellow fringes on the fins, particularly the anal fin. You can sometimes still see the blue, iridescent markings on the cheek. Not even 2 hours ago, I shocked a pond that had regular bgills, hybrids, and just a few back-crosses. For me, the back-crosses can be tough to pick out, but one of the two characters I mentioned are usually evident. I knew I should have taken a picture!
Posted By: fishy Re: Identiying Hybrid Bgill offspring - 09/15/03 09:10 PM
thanks Shawn, I'll keep an eye out for those markings, and probably take any questionable ones out as a precaution. I appreciate your help!
Posted By: Greg Grimes Re: Identiying Hybrid Bgill offspring - 09/15/03 09:51 PM
It is tough. Shwan is right, but also look for the green strations on the nose as well. The bluegill should have a dot on the end of the soft dorsal fin as well. You can have soem that are 75% bluegill and 25% green. This is when it gets tough. You will start to see less by your methods. I also recommend stocking intermediate size bluegill in the system to help out compete the green sunfish.
Posted By: fishy Re: Identiying Hybrid Bgill offspring - 09/15/03 10:08 PM
Thanks Greg, I've been wanting to stock some redears to eat the snails that are in the pond, would they do? Also, will 4-6" stock be OK? I have bass that are up to 13 in. My pond is in south west Ohio and is ~16 ft deep, so the redears should be OK, I think.
Thanks for your help!
© Pond Boss Forum