Pond Boss
Posted By: Ed Richter German Carp - 07/30/03 09:51 PM
I am thinking about introducing few German Carp into my 3/4 acre pond in SE Texas. The pond is already muddy, as are all other ponds and reservoirs in the area (2 miles south of lake Sommerville), so I have nothing to loose there.

They are a beautiful fish and fight hard. The question is, where can I get some, and how large should they be to avoid being eaten by the one or two 18" channel cats that I have? Should I just try my luck in lake Sommerville and release it in my pond?
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: German Carp - 07/31/03 02:23 AM
Almost every warmwater river in the US has common carp if that is what you mean by German Carp.
Posted By: Brian Loberger Re: German Carp - 07/31/03 02:42 AM
If you have a fish population that you care about do not transplant fish from another lake. You can easily transplant disease into your pond. Do some research on this board and you will find cases of it, so it is not that rare.
Posted By: Ed Richter Re: German Carp - 08/04/03 08:47 PM
Thanks for your replies. German Carp is what the Texas Parks and Wildlife ID cards call it. To me it was always just a Carp. But some were completely covered with scales, and some were almost nude, with patches of scales. I haven't seen those listed on their website.

Bringing in the disease - I definitely don't want that. I guess I better go looking for some at my local fishery. Or maybe I can catch a few and quarrantine them for a time in a tank.
© Pond Boss Forum