Pond Boss
Posted By: doddbldr2 creek chubs - 06/30/03 11:47 PM
I was wondering if catching creek chubs or minnows out of a near by creek and using them as bait can cause me problems down the road. It is the same creek that I occasionally use to top my pond off. Every fish that I have caught has been healthy free of disease as far as I know. I always make sure to hook the chubs so that they won't survive if the get off the hook. I had a friend tell me not to fish with minnows because they may hurt the pond ( which is 1 acre). Bot do the bass love the chubs though.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: creek chubs - 06/01/07 03:14 AM
Hey, doddbldr2! Sorry it took me so long to answer this post.

I don't think you're creating any problem for your pond by using creek chubs for bait. They are unlikely to compete with the other established species in your pond and they are delicate enough that if you mortally wound them during the hooking process that there's no chance of them hurting anything.

Definitely the bass love the chubs. \:\)
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: creek chubs - 06/01/07 01:24 PM
This is a situation where being sure of the fish used for bait via proper identification would be a very good idea.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: creek chubs - 06/01/07 04:36 PM
My evil plan at ressurecting a four year old thread is proceeding nicely...

Did I say that out loud?
Posted By: GW Re: creek chubs - 06/01/07 04:51 PM
doddbldr2 last posted on May 04, 2004...
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: creek chubs - 06/01/07 05:13 PM
Exactly.
Posted By: GW Re: creek chubs - 06/01/07 05:24 PM
You can find cool stuff when you're searching old threads.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Condello:
I've never seen a coppernose.

Posted By: Gumboot Re: creek chubs - 06/01/07 06:28 PM
I'll bite. I have a hard time keeping a creek chub alive on a hook for more than a short length of time. Given that, and the fact that they don't do well in a non stream setting, I'd think they would be a somewhat benign species to introduce into your pond, and wouldn't have a long shelf life.

But then again, I'm having problems finding larger bg for my filling pond, and have transferred approximately 130 mature bg and res from various ponds around me, these were introduced into a stocked population of 3" to 5" bg and res. I know that goes against conventional wisdom of not intorducing species from other bodies of water into your pond... Has anyone on this forum personally experienced some type of disease event, in their pond, from transplanting species? Hopefully this is not off topic.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: creek chubs - 06/01/07 06:29 PM
Sic him, GW. \:D

Who was it that stocked the pond full of creek chubs and was trying to get them to spawn there? Bill Cody was providing a lot of info on that thread.

FWIW, it was more recent than 4 years ago.
Posted By: GW Re: creek chubs - 06/01/07 06:38 PM
I enjoyed reading Bruce's post which I quoted from. I can just imagine him going "Hmm, coppernose Bluegill, let me look that up....."
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: creek chubs - 06/01/07 06:40 PM
h20fwlkillr was the guy!

Gumboot, I think I may have brought in anchor worms, which are a fairly benign parasite into my ponds. This last cold winter may have wiped them out because I haven't been seeing them this year, but it has made me reevaluate my fish moving philosophies.

I think from a regional standpoint, that most organisms that are endemic to a region have access to your pond at some point or another. It's very difficult to restrict movement of types of plants for sure. Every new pond that's built around here seems to end up with the same general types of vegetation. All of our ponds have FA, Potamogetons and other ubiquitous plants. I'd like to hear Bill Cody give the definitive answer to that question. Obviously it pays to be cautious. I certainly wouldn't take a chance on moving fish into my ponds unless I had a specific well-defined benefit to offset the risks of new pathogens.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: creek chubs - 06/01/07 06:44 PM
So doddbldr2, what do think about all of this?
Posted By: Sunil Re: creek chubs - 06/01/07 06:53 PM
I don't think it was h20fwlkiller for the creek chub thing.

GW, Brucille does not raise CNBG. He still does not know what one is.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: creek chubs - 06/01/07 06:53 PM
Aren't Potatomogetons a snack food up in Canada?
Posted By: GW Re: creek chubs - 06/01/07 07:06 PM
Oh. Thanks Sunil.

Nevermind.
Posted By: rmedgar Re: creek chubs - 06/01/07 07:41 PM
BREAKING NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LOCAL MAN ATTACKED BY CHREEK CHUBS
Mr Dodge Doubledoor II is resting comfortably after being
attacked while bass fishing in his one acre pond. He was quoted as
saying "After I waited 47 months for a reply to my situation, and didn't get one, I figured it was ok to release these fish into my pond."
Film at 11...
Posted By: GW Re: creek chubs - 06/01/07 08:11 PM
Now THAT'S funny.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: creek chubs - 06/02/07 03:32 AM
Doubledoor, 49, recently stated that the lack of response to his now infamous "creek chub post", led to his years of intense therapy.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: creek chubs - 06/02/07 05:58 PM
Good thing it wasn't a Red Ear stocking question - he might have been dead by now - and the blood would have been on all of your hands - live with the guilt of that! \:D
© Pond Boss Forum